British Ban on jilbab

GhostShadow

Yeah, what do you all think?

British Ban

I think that they are in their rights to not allow that girl to wear that in a secondary school. They have uniforms, she needs to obey thoes rules, and if she doesnt like it then she can leave.

If she wants to wear that to feel that she is devout to her god then so be it. I dont care what she wears or who she believes in. I do mind tho when she goes out of her way to break a rule and make fuss out of it.

They are right, the goverment should not show favor to any ONE religion.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the school was within its rights to ban the garment. The school is not set up to enforce religious requirements. It teaches math, science, languages and other secular courses. Religion can be taught and requirements observed off-campus in its proper setting. Or she could go to another nearby school that allowed the jilbab like she did.

oh mav!!

basically a muslim girl was banned from wearing tradtional muslim clothing (you may have seen basically they cover themselvs head to toe... leaving only the eyes visable)....

any who she didn't go to school for 2 years & went to 3 different courts (finishing at the house of lords highest in the uk) i think the school won first then she won & then the school won again... best of three i guess....

basically it went against here....

yeap i think it was right too to go against here not on reliogues grounds but for security... anyone could be under that dress... weather it be a rival ganag or gun swinging maniac....

other student shouldn't live in fear or hold the school liable....

utter BS... i think, all i know is that just covering your head/hair is enough!! (with face visable!! ofcourse)

BBC Article

They should have tossed this out as a frivilous lawsuit. There's no merit to it - the school went to a lot of trouble coming up with an acceptable Muslim dress code and then this strumpet goes off and complains for what amounts to a point of principle?

If she has so little interest in trying to assimilate into British society, I don't see why she doesn't just leave.

umm actually she was a britsh national (i.e born here)....

she dosen't need to 'assimilate into British society' because she's part of it....

you can't go-on assuming she was a imagrant,,, trust me if she was, there would never even be a courtcase (they wouldn't have bother- the girl that is...)

harsh dude!!!!

so multi cultural society i one were, ppl from other background have to 'assimilated' the existing culture, hence not giving anything to society (culture wise)...

anywho your right in say that she should leave...

i mean you can't pick and chose what rights you have...

she would have thought twice if she was forced to wear the jilbab, and endure strict muslim law they have towards women......

My question is, 'what harm is wearing what you want to wear doing to others?' It wasn't as if she were wearing no clothes or clothes with swears or pictures of dead bodies on them.

... then again, I'm personally against dress codes. Contrary to popular belief, they really don't decrease bad behavior, increase school spirit, or any of those things people claim dress codes do. If people want to be bad, they'll be bad regardless of what they're wearing.

My question is, 'what harm is wearing what you want to wear doing to others?' It wasn't as if she were wearing no clothes or clothes with swears or pictures of dead bodies on them.

... then again, I'm personally against dress codes. Contrary to popular belief, they really don't decrease bad behavior, increase school spirit, or any of those things people claim dress codes do. If people want to be bad, they'll be bad regardless of what they're wearing.

say there is some die-hard KKK member at a school and he sees some chick in that, he is gonna beat her up side the head with a brick. I know its not right, and it might not even be likely, but it still can happen. I think that ppl need to keep their religion to them selves when it comes to what they wear in schools.

I wasn't assuming she was an immigrant.

But she's showing an unwillingness to assimilate - just because you're born here, doesn't mean you're assimilated and this whole debacle shows she doesn't intend to.

What is she expected to do to assimilate? Is ditching the jiljab enough or do you expect more? When will she be British enough for you?

say there is some die-hard KKK member at a school and he sees some chick in that, he is gonna beat her up side the head with a brick. I know its not right, and it might not even be likely, but it still can happen. I think that ppl need to keep their religion to them selves when it comes to what they wear in schools.

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed with you. You have many times asserted and defended your right to express your beliefs as you wish and you think she needs to keep a lid on hers? Why?

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed with you. You have many times asserted and defended your right to express your beliefs as you wish and you think she needs to keep a lid on hers? Why?

I am not gonna dress up like the pope or a full blown christian gown and march around my school. Notice how I said they need to keep it to them selves when it comes to a school, especialy a school with uniforms. She went out of her way to break a rule. Not cool with me.

If she wants to go and wear that to the super market then far me it for me to stop her. Just as I would expect that she not stop me if I want to wear a cross on my back to the super market.

What is she expected to do to assimilate? Is ditching the jiljab enough or do you expect more? When will she be British enough for you?

If you knew about the case - you'd know that the school introduced the dress code it did, as I said - after a great deal of deliberation, as a matter of CONSIDERATION TO MUSLIMS. It was generally considered that if Jilbab's were worn there, that other girls there would feel forced into wearing and it would be a point of leverage for religious groups.

If you're going to go to a school - you're agreeing to certain rules. This girl is basically spiting the rules for the sake of some moral crusade. If she was white and Christian, this would be a non-issue but because she's a Muslim, she has to be given EVEN MORE special consideration.

Quite frankly, I'm getting rather sick of that. I'm not a racist but it's clear we're getting to a point of positive discrimination in some cases. E.G. free speech. Say anything you want - just for the gods' sake don't piss off the muslims! Yeah, that's great.

I'm the type of person that wants to ensure a country does not entertain such blatant double-standards. Equality is not achieved by treating people differently. Not that I believe in equality.

If you knew about the case - you'd know that the school introduced the dress code it did, as I said - after a great deal of deliberation, as a matter of CONSIDERATION TO MUSLIMS. It was generally considered that if Jilbab's were worn there, that other girls there would feel forced into wearing and it would be a point of leverage for religious groups.

If you're going to go to a school - you're agreeing to certain rules. This girl is basically spiting the rules for the sake of some moral crusade. If she was white and Christian, this would be a non-issue but because she's a Muslim, she has to be given EVEN MORE special consideration.

Quite frankly, I'm getting rather sick of that. I'm not a racist but it's clear we're getting to a point of positive discrimination in some cases. E.G. free speech. Say anything you want - just for the gods' sake don't piss off the muslims! Yeah, that's great.

I'm the type of person that wants to ensure a country does not entertain such blatant double-standards. Equality is not achieved by treating people differently. Not that I believe in equality.

I'm sure you all are bending over backwards to make them feel welcome.

If she has so little interest in trying to assimilate into British society, I don't see why she doesn't just leave.

This is the sort of thing I'd expect to see on Stormfront.

Resistance is futile....You will be assimilated. I've heard this argument before somewhere.

ummm not how i see my country of birth. and yes that is the UK. I think that both parties were right but ultimately she could wear jilbab she just had to goto another local school which she did eventually.

guy your missing the point of a dress code....

the main reason is that everyone looks the same......

it actually better since ppl won't be typcasted, just because they haven't got the latest sneaker (that is what you still call them ;) )

rem how mean kids can be at any age!!!!