News: NiteShdw Gaming Leauge

S0V13T

Theres a lot of talk regarding the community getting into some gaming together. Myself, and a handfull of other members (theres about 4 of us so far that are definatelly into this plan) have been talking about this for quite some time, and we feel that the time is right to announce we are in the process of orginizing a leauge of gamers.

We have a free Ventrillo server, and all the software in place, and for people interested in this. And if there is enough interest in this idea, I will make financial the arrangements with NiteShdw to rent out his server (lots of wasted potential these days) to make this a reality for everyone that wants to get some games going on.

So Far, we're looking for some people to play some Counter-Strike: Source.

Games that we're considering:

- Halo

- Diablo 2 (not decided yet if we're sticking with the vanilla version, or with the Lord of Destruction expantion)

- Dungeon Siege 2

- Command and Conquor: Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge

- Command and Conquor:Generals + Zero Hour.

- Open to almost any other RTS / FPS games.

We're not looking for pro gamers for this, casual gamers, and n00bs alike are all more then welcome to install whatever games we decide on serving up, andplaying as much or as little as they want to

If you're a gamer, and are looking to get whooped by your fellow NiteShdw.com members, or if you just want to come in, play one round JUST for the sole purpose of shooting me / someone that you don't like in the head, taking a screen shot, and posting it on your site / blog, this is definatelly your chance.

So if you're interested in joining us for some good clean killing, and / or trying out a new game for the first time with the community, then please do reply to this thread, and express any and al construstive criticisims, sugestions about what games we should be serving, that would attract a lot of people from the forums, and most importantally, what would be the most fun!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the list i have

- Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction expansion

- Command and Conquor: Generals + Zero Hour

i'm not sure what other games you'd want to use...

I'm certainly not a pro gamer but i am interested :)

The basic idea is that there are a number of gamers in this community, and NiteShdw has a bad assed Linux server going to waste, and he's gotta pay for the server some how, right? It's a win / win / win situation.

The more people that use the proposed game server, the more that NiteShdw can ask for in server rentals.

Very interesting am a lil behind on the gaming scene nowadays but would get whatever is a good game nowadays. Last time i played online gaming the games i played were Dungeon Keeper 2 and Medal of honour. But yes its a yes from me.

Right on guys. When I get some free time in the next few days, I'll look into getting some software for serving up a litlte CS:S, and a stats page for it (so that we can all see just who the leetest gamer really is.)

If anyone has any suggestions for what software would be the best to use for this (we'll need a dedicated server application for a Linux machine in the event that NiteShdw agrees to let us use his server, otherwiise, I'll host the game on one of the comps on my lan), please do let me know, as I've been pretty busy lately, and might not have the time to track down the proper programs / stats logging program.

Just a small update, I'm pretty sure that I have the Counter-strike: Source server operational @ 207.36.196.121:27015 So anyways, if anyone has CS:S installed, and updated, please do see if you can connect to the server :)

Also, the files are in place for Half-Life 2 death match, and a variety of the classic Valve games (Classic cstrike, dod, tfc, etc) But from my limited current knowage of how to set up remote linux gaming servers, It's gonna be dedicated to CS:S for the time being, untill I can figure out how to make a config file to change the game it's serving manually.

I've looked into getting some files for games like Diablo2, and some RTS games as well, but I'm not seeing any dedicated server files at all availible for download. From what I remember from playing D2 and RTS games, it was always one player hosting the game, and another (or a few more peopel) joinning that player made in-game server. if anyone knows about dedicated linux server software for any of the games they've brought up I'm game to set it up.

Also I've been fooling around with http://gaming.niteshdw.com a little bit lately. Still no where near being started yet, but atleast the ball is in motion, and there is a general list of things that I plan to do.

Anyways, I'm gonna make a poll up on the subdomain, and add in all the games people have mentioned, and may continue to mention, check back there every now and then, so thay you have a chance to cast your vote.

The last game I played online was Star Wars someting or other, but it's not much fun playing the way they did. I'd like to get into some games though, just to use the PC for recreational purposes instead of pretending to work. Anything that's "Run, Jump and Shoot" would be good, someone let me know please.

Games like Starcraft and Diablo 2 are hosted for free on battle.net for online play. Always have been. The TCP/IP connection is for 1v1 play, or you can set it up for a LAN (which won't work for a dedicated server).

There are ways to setup private Diablo 2 realms but they involve hacking the client and such, same for Starcraft. While it can be done, it's just easier to play on the free servers they provide.

Also, wish we could use the latest Ventrilo version. I know, the older one's are "Free" but I know several servers that use the latest that will gladly let us have a channel(s) for free.