Sisko Vrs Picard

GhostShadow

Hmm...

They had very different styles of command - you can see Picard being an admiral but Sisko was too hands on (like Janeway) to ever realistically become an admiral... Picard retained his moral integrity even to the point where he passed over an oppurtunity to destroy the greatest enemy the Federation ever faced... Of course, that was at the same time a point of self-indulgence that could potentially have resulted in the destruction of the Federation.

On the other hand, Sisko was clearly willing to go against his morals to do what was expedient. Furthermore - given his relation with Dax - he clearly enjoyed a far closer relationship with his crew than Picard ever did... but that adds to his friend rating but I think detracts slightly from the commander/leader rating. At the end of the day - there is a reason that the captain should maintain it.

Still - I'd favour Picard.

No poll?

Yeah, I'd say Picard still wins out in the end, it's close though. For the context and history of events that took place at DS9, it could definitely be argued that Sisco was the man for the job but for an organisation like the Federation as a whole, with its tenets of social responsibility and ethical conduct, Picard does reflect everything that is really expected of a Starfleet officer.

And yeah... is it too late to add a poll to this thread?

I like both roughly the same each for different reasons.

Picard was so different than Kirk. He prefered the diplomatic approach, and his hobbies were so different. His romances were so different than Kirks, I mean every alien planet there was Kirk wooing the local women while Picard tried to at least keep his relationships discreet and there were only a few. Most people would find archeology boring as all hell but when you think of how it's possible to do such things on thousands of worlds, it's rather cool . I also grew up with Picard as "the captain" of my era, so I'm sure some people would feel the same about Kirk or even Janeway *cough*C4*cough* ;p

Sisko was more complex. Here's a guy, just had his wife killed by the Borg, thrust into a Cardassian station by a C.O who is technically responsible for his wife's death, and he has to make the best of it while being a single dad in a somewhat hostile area of space. Add to it how his character changes so dynamically, in season 1 you wouldn't think he'd be doing some of the thing's he's doing in season 6 or 7 to help the war end or save lives. I also liked how, since he was deemed the "Emissary", he kept his head cool. Alot of people would have let that get to them, make their ego's grow or become alot like an average Bajoran; a very devote believer. Sisko, he kept an open mind.

Hmm...perhaps but Sisko showed many times in the war that he was willing to sacrafice his life to save others and demonstrated true courage on many occasions (he got the Christopher Pike medal for Valor :p)

Sisko is more the spiritual type of leader, while Picard is more the intellectual kind of leader. At least that is my opinion. I would compare it to: would you follow a priest or a professor... I'm more the one going for the professor, so definately Picard.

crap, I spent like 10 min making this really long post then my internet crapped out and I lost the post when I hit reply.. grr.

well what I was gonna say is that I think that sisko takes the cake when it comes to the best Starfleet officer. I mean that sisko got dirty when it came down to it. He knew the limits of the federation and he know how important the federation is to the alpha quadrent. When he brought the Romulans into the Dominion war he was showing that he did not like what he was doing. He knew that it had to be done. He knew that if he did not then the Great Republic of which he served would soon fall. That to me shows that his morals where in the right place. To keep the peace in the alpha quadrent and to have every one live free.

bugger that sisko could kick picards ass any time... :p

really, different situations though... picard = explorer, sisko = stationed...

iv'e on re watched up to se 3 tng.... but picard trys to always follows the rules to a T, or find some way round it like a lawyer...

sisko knew when he was doing wrong... but did it anyway cause it was the right thing todo...

basically sisko made choices whereas picard followed the book....

i hope he changes (picard) more better after se3?? :)

I think if we 'cut-back' to Sisko say ten years later,

he would be quite a different Captain.

Remember Picard had Years of Captain experience even before he took over the Enterprise.

Sisko was barely a captain in DS9... ( a little more like Riker than Picard)

I think 'in-time' (or un-time with the Prophets) and many missions of exploration later,

Sisko would make as fine a Captain,

But for me...... Picard reigns supreme :)

Sisko had the somewhat unique fact that he had a bunch of wormhole aliens watching out for him and tipping the scales in favour of the Federation in the Dominion War.

Overall though, Picard is my favourite captain. He's really the most realistic captain of all 5 shown.

Sisko for me picard best as star fleet officer becuz he follows the book

sisko best as a friend

sisko as a leader

and sisko as a commander, he gets down with his troops like Alexander the great did.

So Sisko for me anytime

no one has really brought up Jake and Sisko's situation into all of this. I mean if you want to evaluate a man, look at what Sisko has done. He lost his wife to the borg invasion, he was sent into a hot zone on the cardassian border and he rasied a son. He established a new life and thrived. He got a new wife and moved on. I dont see Picard doing that, he struggles with children and is rather prude. So to me, sisko is gonna take the cake as a measurement of a man.

And as far as a starfleet officer, agian I say sisko. Starfleet does want ppl who can tell right from wrong. they also want ppl that can anilyze a situation. And Sisko realisticaly did that when he brought the Romulans into the war. He saw that the Federation, and the Alpha quadrent where about to be overtaken by the Dominion and he changed that. And I see that as a good starfleet officer.

Picard is a good starfleet officer, but he puts to much faith in the federation. He believes it can do NO wronge. He is very good at drawing the line though. In the Eps where there is that spy found on ENT and there is a tribunal. He was a good officer then. But agian, he puts to much faith in the Federation, he thinks that its invinciable. He could have destroyed the Borg but he choose not to....

As a Friend, agian I say Sisko. He is a good man. He can take a joke and he can give a joke. He is determned and he is willing to go the extra mile to keep his friends safe.

As a Commander, I will say Picard. Picard has been around the block a few more times than Sisko, and Picard led a very succesful carrer in the Dominion war.

And as far as being wise, that goes to Picard. He thinks way into the future. He knows what he does today will affact tomarrow.

but all in all my vote goes to Sisko. (I know, I should have made a poll but I forgot to, lol )

for me the better starfleet officer is picard but i find myself wondering how the dominion invasion would have been managed by picard had he been in command of DS9.

the prime directive as with many other rules are open to interpretation, in their application. what comes out is the values of the man when each different one applies those rules.

each captain was given jobs to do and did them the each saw fit.

i wonder which i would have preferred (and by that i mean, ehich would i have grown with as an individual and an officer or whatever) to serve under. it'd be a tough decision.