No armour?

Tenebrae

well' date=' the Cardassians and Klingons use a form of Armor. So I dont know why the Feds dont use it.[/quote']

yeap & they're much stronger too...

plus socialy theyre more aggressive...

and lets not forget the klingons still use bladed weapons... i forget if the cardies do??

:)

I think that projectile weapons are much more effective. They should have just come up with advances with thoe and not turn to energy wapons.

Ammunition becomes a problem. Granted even phasers and/or energy based weapons still need "ammo" they are often small and compact. A phaser rifles energy pack is about the size of a modern day cell phone, probably smaller (the flip book kind that folds in half). You can carry several of those easily in your belt along with a tricorder etc

Considering you get quite a few shots/uses per power cell, carrying a few extra packs means a lot of shots, days worth (unless you just leave the thing shooting 24/7).

Plus it's easier to use energy based weapons for such things as non lethal stuns. While projectile weapons can do this too, I think user error often can play a large role in a "missed" shot. So when you miss with a bullet, you risk hitting them in a vital organ instead of, the leg or something. A phaser, you just hit them basically wherever (minus something like the face) and they go down.

Armor would need some kind of material to counter its effects, or some energy applied to repel other energy. And considering with effort you can manuever through energy beam weapons fire, cumbersome armor might not be the best of ideas even if the armor offers protection they may have something else that can penetrate it during that time.

I'm surprised they haven't made personal force fields. I mean, the main example being the holodeck (or the Doctor either or). Holograms are made of constricted force fields and energy right. And hell we even see Worf use a make shift version in Alexanders western holoprogram. A ships shields allows weapons fire to leave it but not enter it. What better way to stop enemy fire than a personal force field.

oooooooh tricky one the amount of Ampage theoretically produced by the body can be high but not high enough to create a phasor blast or provide a shield from such a blast but it could be enough to provide some amount of deflection and to allow a touch weapon i.e. touching the person gives them a shock or elecrodes on wires could be shot via a projectile device if we found a way to store and release on demand static electricity then we would have hundreds of thousands of volts of potentail power to play with passed through a small resistance this could create sufficiently high Current to kill a man. of course this resistance could be increased to control the intensity, the great thing about this method is static electricity can be easily produced by rubbing 2 electrostatically incompatable medium together ie human hair and plastic combs this could be possible in the near future (5-10 years say).

I'm surprised they haven't made personal force fields. I mean, the main example being the holodeck (or the Doctor either or). Holograms are made of constricted force fields and energy right. And hell we even see Worf use a make shift version in Alexanders western holoprogram. A ships shields allows weapons fire to leave it but not enter it. What better way to stop enemy fire than a personal force field.

Holodecks and ship's shields are powered from the massive antimatter reactors or the impulse reactors. It would take a strong back or a helluva long extension cord. Worf's jury-rigged shield only lasted a few seconds against holographic bullets and may have even been ineffective against an energy weapon. Disruptors and phasers, even lasers, would release significantly more energy at the point of impact. Generating a force field is not a problem, powering it sufficiently is another story.

Anyways, if everyone had a forcefield it would be a universal stalemate. It would be so boring even Wesley, Neelix and Rom would be welcome diversions.

The Doctors mobile emitter is palm-sized... though that is admittedly 500 years from the future... when wars will be fought be holograms :P

Also - it's stated several times in Voyager that the Holodeck has an independent power souce.

Or the tech in SG-1 - the armour Anubis' soldiors had.... :rolleyes:

okay, a bit off-topic here, since no Star Trek, but I thought it was rather stupid of the SGC guys the way they handled those abominations. It was proven fairly early on that these soldiers armour was extremely vulnarable when shot at with a sharp pointed object. It would have been quite simple to equip SGC teams with guns that can propel sharp pointed objects, they wouldn't have had to go through all the other trouble...

But I've found that by looking at Stargate the same way as Trekkies look at Star Trek (meaning: analysing the whole thing), you find an incredible amount of flaws in the show, going from minor flaws to major ones. So appearently not only Star Trek suffers from these things. :)

Still a good show though. /end off-topic

The regular Jaffa cake armour was hilarious. Especially in the first few seasons - when the show had a bigger budget - and they all had the giant snake heads... and continously looked like they might fall over. I'm fairly sure that throwing rocks at those guys would have killed them... kind of like Stormtroopers.

there is mention of "personal shields" in season 4 eps 11 and 12 (homefront and paradise lost) of DS9. the idea is not explored but it seems that they do exist.

btw, exterus i like your philosophy dude. almost along the lines of, make love not war:D:D

There was? I don't remember that...

you'll have to watch the eps.

it is one line by cmdr wotsherface whose name i cant remember. its not much of a lead i admit but its the only one i can find with a reference to the topic

jesus loves you

I would agree that energy werapons would make armor ineffectual.. and the klingon armour and the such is for hand to hand combat.

interesting thought (off the topic of Star Trek): in the Dune books, they have personal energy shields (like bubbles around them), but if they are hit with an energy weapon they explode killing the user and everyone around them. So you cannot use them indiscriminately.