NEW STAR TREK MOVIE

Tablet

Ok im just copying this from teletext so this isn't the word of god (for those in the uk, BBC1 teletext page 507)

Star trek film 'turns back time'

JJ Abrams, creator of the TV show Lost and director of Mission Impossible III, is to produce and direct the 11th Star Tek film, it has been reported.

According to the ind stry newspaper Daily Variety, the film - set for release in 2008 - will focus on the early days of Captain James T Kirk and Mr Spock.

The as-yet-untilted feature will tell of their first meeting at starfleet academy and first out space mission.

The most recent Trek film, Star Trek: Nemesis, was released in 2003

For those who dont beleive me in the uk check out the teletext page no above

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again.... :D

Anyway, should they really go ahead with it this time, then I have some serious reservations about the setting. I would guess that anybody else that has ever seen TOS will have too...

imo they have are currently coping with a serious lack of inventive imagination...

You can't have Kirk, or Spock for that matter, be acted by anybody else then the original actors imo and they're way to old for such a thing now...

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm hoping this doesn't go through....

someone should post this on StartTrek.com and see what response you get.. the people on those forums are like MAjORLY into Trek and will know the in and outs of the above text.

I cant do it as Im on a dial up connection in S. Africa and it takes 12 years to load the page.

someone should post this on StartTrek.com and see what response you get.. the people on those forums are like MAjORLY into Trek and will know the in and outs of the above text.

I cant do it as Im on a dial up connection in S. Africa and it takes 12 years to load the page.

dont need to

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/15891.html

2008... make that 2009.. lol...

mann why don't they leave krik alone.......

KHAN!!!!!!!!!

it would have been easier for them to make something new than to fit araound an existing timeline.....

who knows i might be suprised...

i wounder if ST will survie if this becomes a mega flop??

There aren't enough negative nancies in the world to equal my feeling of foreboding.

JJ Abrams might redeem it but I'm getting ready for a big ol' build up of negativity.

Consider yourselves warned.

LOL :D

My first thought was identical, but I'm going to postpone it a bit and wait untill I hear some more about it, maybe they've found a way to actually make it work this time... :D

Report: 'Star Trek' set for '08 revival

Variety: J.J. Abrams to take the helm

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 8:32 a.m. EDT (12:32 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

CNN.com

Good news. New Star Trek on the way. Personally, I would have preferred something entirely new or, at least, post-Nemesis. Let's hope for the best, though. Maybe a new TV series will follow... :)

I'm going to postpone it a bit and wait untill I hear some more about it' date=' maybe they've found a way to actually make it work this time... :D[/quote']

My negativity is relentless, inexorable, undeflectable and absolutely will not stop until you are dead.

I just hope they cast people who look exactly the same as the originals, if that means plastic surgery then fine, i will NOT be happy any other way. Then again why are we complaining TREK IS BACK, in your face Rik Berman and your star treks takin a break....lets rejoice!!!!

I really hope they don't fuck it up. And I agree with Tablet: They better get actors who are really good lookalikes, naturally. As it, not needing to be plastered with a ton of makeup, etc.

I wonder if they'll go back to The Cage style uniforms? Probably not, cause since when do they care about details? ¬_¬