Fate or Not

maverick

Fate: 1. a. The principle, power, or agency by which, according to certain philosophical and popular systems of belief, all events, or some events in particular, are unalterably predetermined from eternity. Often personified. (Oxford English Dictionary)

does it exist or not?

do you believe in it.

if somebody is writing this stuff, couldnt they come up with something more interesting.

i suppose a comparison with free will is necessary because it seems to be the oppsite of fate.

Fate is that which ordains destiny and is a higher form of destiny so it is possible to change your destiny but only if you are fated to do so or in terms of old myths the three goddesses of fate could alter your destiny

Fate does not have an opposite it is of such a high importance that even the gods where controlled by it.

if we are looking for the opposite of destiny however then free will is a bad one to use because you have a free will to change your destiny. perhaps a better word to imply the opposite of Destiny is History , destiny is a thing we are heading towards so the opposite is that which we have left behind.

Of Course i believe in it, i know that i am not immortal and that one day i will die. I find it quite entertaining to think that some people probably will say that fate doesnt exist. I look forward to their proof of this.

Of Course i believe in it' date=' i know that i am not immortal and that one day i will die. I find it quite entertaining to think that some people probably will say that fate doesnt exist. I look forward to their proof of this.[/quote']

Fate doesn't equal any known certainty. If it does, it's just another word for "certainty". The most common definition of fate is that EVERYTHING is bound by it in some mystical manner. I know I will die some day. I still see no reason to ascribe this fact to some abstract concept called "fate".

Nah - Of course we have free will.

We have to take personal responsibility for our actions and decisions, as well as their outcomes. Predestination or fate is a notion that absolves us of that sort of responsibility. How can you commit a crime if its all just fate and predestination?

That would mean we have no right to punish murderers, rapists and the like. It would mean that Adolf Hitler was guilty of no sin, leaving god or some supernatural force to blame for the mass murder of millions of jews and gypsies. And I just don't see that that makes sense.

We have to take personal responsibility for our actions and decisions' date=' as well as their outcomes. Predestination or fate is a notion that absolves us of that sort of responsibility. How can you commit a crime if its all just fate and predestination?[/quote']

Well, that's fine for you. You're probably fated to be responsible. ;)

No, I don't think I believe in fate, per se. I do believe in circumstances favouring some people over others, which may make it look like some kind of mystical force is operating in their favour. There are times when, to or for a particular individual all choices may be or may seem equally bad. This may lead such a person to make choices that have bad consequences.

That would mean we have no right to punish murderers, rapists and the like. It would mean that Adolf Hitler was guilty of no sin, leaving god or some supernatural force to blame for the mass murder of millions of jews and gypsies. And I just don't see that that makes sense.

Unless we argue they are preordained to be punished. ;)

I don't believe in punishment anyway. As Socrates observed, if you beat a horse or a dog, it tends to make that animal's behaviour become worse, not better. Unfortunately, what is true for animals is often even more so for humans. Rehabilitation--yes, if possible. Incarceration--yes, when necessary. But, in my opinion, punishment is a short term solution for a long term problem and, as such, is counterproductive.

But, I digress, as that discussion belongs elsewhere. Then again, I digress a lot. Perhaps it is my fate. ;)

Synchronicity, kismet, fate, destiny, serendipity - all a bunch of lovely words to sum up human incomprehension when really cool or messed up crap happens... For some reason we seem to struggle when highly improbable or unlikely things happen. But as any statistician will tell you, given enough time - even the improbable is probable. Accept it - even if there was a divinity, or the supernatural existed - YOU STILL WOULDN'T MATTER enough to warrant that sort of intervention you egotistical bastards! :P

[N.B: pls don't take offence anybody - that last line was meant to be tongue in cheek, but you get my point]

Actually... the funny thing is, I believe that our entire universe is set in stone from the first moment to the last... fortunately, it is impossible for anyone or anything to accurately predict the future due to lack of information (thank you for noticing that, Heisenberg!), so even if things are 'preordained', there's no way to make use of that. It changes nothing, for what is predestiny that's utterly unknowable? ^^ If it can't be seen, used, or forseen by anyone, it may as well not be preordained.

Guest c4evap
It is the fate of this forum that we allways attrackt some 'troublemakers'... Prove me wrong... I wish to be proven wrong... GorunNova knows what I'm on about... :cyclops:

Uh oh...my spidey sense is tingling again...

c4 :stare:

Your fate is written before you're born, before humanity began.

You life is written - but you do not know it... so live, rejoice and be merry - for tomorrow you die.

A prophet, I am - but the future will be whatever I see.

• 4 weeks later...
Nah - Of course we have free will.

There is such a thing as fate. Though not in the way you think of it. Fate can be thought of as a book written before you are born. I don't think I believe that. Fate is more along the lines of the old Greek and Norwegian Gods kind of things. You are a plaything of Fate. Fate makes up what it wants you to do as it goes along.

Honestly, it is more like other people that make you do things. But we won't go into that now.

You do have free will to do as you please up to a point. Fate will try to stop you if you are doing something you should not. If you try hard enough though, you can break thru the blocks that Fate puts in front of you. Many people never do. Fate puts up one or two or three blocks in front of people and they turn around like they are supposed to and go do something else.

If you fight Fate, you will pay. There is a cost to fighting what Fate wants you to do. Mental problems, health problems, social problems, money problems.........Fighting Fate can be very costly.

You need to be cautious though and not always do what "Fate" tells you. You know I said it is really people that are making you do things and not Fate? There are bad people that will make you do bad things. You need to fight against that kind of "Fate".

Your belief in Fate will affect your ability to see the signs of Fate around you. If you don't believe in destiny, you don't pay attention to any of the signs around you that prove there is such a thing. First you need to believe in destiny. Then you need to start examining every event around you to see how it applies to your ongoing life. Some of those events will be odd. After you train yourself for awhile, you will come to see that there is such a thing as fate. You will see the signs of it.

I was thinking about someone 3 days ago for no real reason. Just popped into my head. Then I thought about them off and on for the next 3 days. Yesterday? I got a letter from that person. Haven't had a letter in a long time. If I didn't believe in fate, I would think it was a coincidence that I thought about that person, then their letter arrived.

Since I know there is destiny and stuff, I know that I started thinking about them when they sat down to write the letter to me. I kept thinking about them as they thought about their letter traveling to me. Now that I have the letter and I have read it, we will both think about each other until my reply reaches them.

That stuff happens all the time if you look for it. If you know that stuff is "impossible", then you never look for it so you never see it.