s28e5 -- The Rise of the Cybermen Official discussion thread!!!

Fenriswolf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - that was fantastic - Lumic was great - and even though it was obvious what they were - there was still that mystery about what was going on.

The cliffhanger was great and having this over two episodes is cool.

Can't wait for the conclusion!

Bloody Brilliant. Exceeded my expectations entirely. However I had a feeling we wouldnt see too much of them in the first part, they saved it for a cliffhanger, just how good old Dr Who used to be. The voices I think were just about right, a touch of the classic Hartnell/Troughton pitch with a hint of more electronic gruffness. Oh and the heavy clanking of the feet, perfect, if I wasnt watching in the bedroom id have dived for the sofa.

Mickey impressed me again with his comedy routine, "What? from your Kitchen...Oh its a good kitchen" ROFL

Torchwood getting a couple of plugs in too, so they exist in that world also, hmmm. Interesting!

Sad about the TARDIS dying like that, but Im sure we all know itll work out in the end.

Now about 'Rickey', someone mentioned in last years post about Eccleston saying 'Rickey' was his name as if he knew it was somehow, or perhaps we all thought he was just winding him up about his name, but I havent quite worked it out if Eccleston had known somehow there was another Mickey/Rickey in an alternate earth....maybe well get an answer next week.

As with most 2 parters I found this first part a bit slow and bit disappointing, but as it it progressed it got better and finally ended on a fantastic cliffhanger. I'm genuinely interested to see how the Doctor gets out of this one!

The overall look at the show was great, the Zepplins giving a wonderful ambience to the episode. It was just a bit of a shame that there was no time to explore the history of the parallel Earth and how Britain had become a republic. The Cybermen looked Fantastic, looking much better in motion than that first photo showed, but there were times when their movement looked poor and wobbly.

I liked Rickey much better better than Mickey. I can't help but be tempted to think that Mickey could get killed off and replaced by his parallel self. Lumic was a bit OTT for me and reminded me of that wonderful performance by Eric Roberts as the Master and although a wonderful song 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' was woefully out of place.

Still it wasn't bad, it was enjoyable and entertaining but it was nowhere near great.

7/10 for me.

So far my rankings are as follows:

The Girl In The fireplace: 9 and bit

The Xmas Invasion: 9

Tooth And Claw: 8

School Reunion: 8

Children In Need Special: 7.5

Rise Of The Cybermen:7

New Earth: 6.5

Oh yeah Pella I forgot to mention 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' (probably subconsciously) and Oooh I love your theory about Mickey being killed off and Rickey replacing him, perhaps without the Doctor and Rose knowing and somehow the other one comes back with them, he didnt come across as evil or anything just a bit rougher and tougher, thatd be a nice twist.

As for how theyre going to get out of this scenario at the cliffhanger, well, I was just scanning through the gallery at the official site and saw a production photograph of them surrendering HERE and noticed a little something in the Dr's right hand, could it be the power cell from the TARDIS which he just happened to bring along with him, personally Id have left it safe in the TARDIS, but hey, these transparent plotlines can be so....well, transparent. I cant think of any other way theyll get out of it at this point.

EDIT: Unless that mysterious fluffy boom-mic floating near the Doctors groin has something to do with it. :)

PS Mickey sent me HERE! Damn Im having trouble finding the code on the web to fix his radio, ya can chat to the chat-bot and get his model number then go to Product support at Electromatics but Im stumped, the first Mickey game Ive had trouble with this year!

Gotta say the jury is out as its a 2 parter......... was what was expected, great ending and some moments were class, the voices i thought was rubbish tho, as for the power cell he did take it with him from the tardis, he is about to show it to rose when the plot twists.

Not to my expectations so far... cant wait for the 2nd part tho. Wonders why the Cybermen think the doctor is incompatible? maybe they can see he is from another dimension or has 2 hearts Pete was good tho on the plus side but in general i thought the plot was lacking in depth and was a bit too predictable ( but then they are an old foe so it isnt a big shocker there) all in all i give it a 6.5 but if the 2nd part is a true classic i will revise the score for this. I certainly hope it is.

Good episode and I can't wait for next week but I have to say I got a sense of Deja Vu about it. It's makes sense that this takes place in a parallel world otherwise it would be way too much of a rip off of Genesis of the Daleks. Anyone else see the eerie similarity between Lumic and Davros?

Another great episode!! I sound like a stuck record :) This season is going from strength to to strength, the best material since the JNT era started.

I thought the lion sleeps tonight was a funny touch, made me laugh anyway. The evil mastermind had some good lines as well. Im looking forward to next saturday.

The cybermen possibly didnt seem somehow as cybermen-ish as I was expecting, but they havent had a chance to get established yet, so give em a chance!

Another 10 I guess :)

Yes, since this was effectively the birth of the Cybermen (at least on this parallel earth) we cant expect to see them in their 'taking over the universe' role we normally see them in! Thats whats probably coming at the end of the season. I just hope they dont do the Dalek thing and wipe them all out without hope of them returning, saying that, theres no positive indication that the Daleks really DID get wiped out for good at the end of season 27 (1), Ill cling to the hope that when Rose, as Bad Wolf 'brought life' (we see Cpt. Jack being resurrected) perhaps something somewhere brought some Daleks back to life (and perhaps the odd Time Lord or ten!)

When the Doctor looked out the window at the Cybermen, he said "Its happening again!" What EXACTLY was he indicating at, seeing the Cybermen again or seeing an old foe again like he did with the Daleks last year, were the Cybermen involved in the Time War somehow, I know the Doctor did say last year that it was a War between his race and the Daleks but that doesnt mean there wasnt anyone else involved.

Anyone else see the eerie similarity between Lumic and Davros?
That was my first though as he came in on his wheelchair. Even the episode title seemed similar.

Jackie seems to be a bitch whichever verse you end up in.

Somehow the Tardis 'dying' seemed out of place. It just held a big 'why?' over the whole episode. I know that sometimes the TARDIS takes the Doctor to places that he needs to be but it was a bit over-the-top.

It did seem a little slow to begin with and then the inevitable forced-takeover by Lumic.

During the Confidential they showed a little sneak preview of the next episode and Mickey (not Rickey) comes into his own as the hero including a one-on-one fight with a Cyberman.Seems that Mickey might meet a grisly but noble end.

Somehow the Tardis 'dying' seemed out of place. It just held a big 'why?' over the whole episode. I know that sometimes the TARDIS takes the Doctor to places that he needs to be but it was a bit over-the-top.

My interpretation was that the Doctor was jumping the gun when he said the Tardis was dead. Once he found that a spark of life remained he was able to nurse it back to health, and in 24 hours no less (What a doctor!)

I don't know... I was totally impressed right up until

... they all started talking about 'upgrades to human.2 are mandatory' and yelling 'delete!' repeatedly...

That just sucked all the enthusiasm right out of me for some reason. I just felt it seemed... cheesy.

Edit: The voices were good, a redo of the second version of their voices from the old series, imho. My question is, are these the cybermen that will pop up in the new series, or is it just an alternative universe glimpse of Earch-created cybermen, detached from the main Doctor Who setting? Will these cybermen follow the Doctor back into the normal universe, or is it just foreshadowing for the -real- cybermen to reappear? I guess we'll find out next episode! ^^'

Edit 2: Katrina and Adric... now where's my cookie! :D (it's sad that I didn't have to look that up...)

Well if Rose is a dog in the alternate Earth, then the creation of the Cybermen on that Earth rather than Mondas is a distinct possibility - the Doctor's reaction to seeing a familiar but revamped foe - it's happening again, is justified. He knows of the birth of the Cybermen and even in this alternate Earth he should have realised that was possible one madman (very like Davros) would come up with the idea of melding metal and flesh to create sustainable life.

Will they break Lumic's control and go rogue however ;)?