Any good reference books?

maybrick

I'm looking for a good Doctor Who reference book, not so much "behind the scenes" stuff but more of an encyclopedia that lists all of the Doctors, Companions, and Aliens over the years and would also act as an episode guide. Is there anything like that, and if so, is it available outside of the UK? Any help would be very cool. :)

Thanks! That helps, but why is it that all of these books are labeled as "Unofficial and Unauthorized", and what is it going to take for the BBC to issue a true Official and Authorized Doctor Who Handbook?

Outpost Gallifrey is probably the greatest source (next to the official site) for Dr Who guides. I particularly like their Episode Guide as it goes into great detail, background, synopsis', media links etc etc.

Try these for starters

OG Webguide

OG Episode Guide

The main menu at top of screen has a Guide/FAQ link, you cant go wrong here!

I've been visiting GallifreyOne for a while now, but there are times when I'm not around a computer at all. I want something I can take with me to read on lunch breaks and doctor's offices. Also, I can't really read things at length on a computer screen without my eyes getting tired. After all this time, a good website is still no replacement for a good book, IMHO.

Oh, I apologise, i totally misread the entire post. Well the last OFFICIAL Dr Who guide book I had was back in 1999 and that was quite thorough in information. I think they should release one again thats official, not the Unofficial one that seems to be the most popular these days. Ive never understood why they just dont endorse that book and call it official as Im sure it only contains necessary official information. Id go for that one tho as it seems to be the most current title. What Id like is a good PDA version for my handheld so I could take that and also edit it myself as details change and new episodes come out. I suppose I could do one myself for portable PCs but imagine the work involved eh? :)

No apologies necessary. :)

I'll check out the unofficial, but I just KNOW that as soon as I buy it an official one will be released. Judging by the popularity of the current series they'd be fools NOT to!

Right! In my opinion you cant do better that the 3 guide books that aer called 'the 60s', the 70s', and what was the nest one called.... oh wait, it was called 'the 80s' :) I would post more details for you but all my stuff is in boxes at the mo as im in the middle of a move :) Have a google or ask here if anyone can remember the details, but they are very fine books, with lots of glossy photos, episode guides, production details and everything else you could want from a series of concise books.

Hope that sorts out yer problem :)

Right! In my opinion you cant do better that the 3 guide books that aer called 'the 60s', the 70s', and what was the nest one called.... oh wait, it was called 'the 80s' :) I would post more details for you but all my stuff is in boxes at the mo as im in the middle of a move :) Have a google or ask here if anyone can remember the details, but they are very fine books, with lots of glossy photos, episode guides, production details and everything else you could want from a series of concise books.

Hope that sorts out yer problem :)

I saw the "decades" books listed on the link stitchntime gave me, but they appear to be OOP. It's a shame because they appear to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for. :(

Well, they sold pretty widely and came in both hardback and paperback editions, so it shouldnt be too hard to find copies. I concur, have a look on ebay and also see if any private sellers are putting them out on amazon!

Eish you luck in your hunt!

Thanks! That helps' date=' but why is it that all of these books are labeled as "Unofficial and Unauthorized", and what is it going to take for the BBC to issue a true Official and Authorized Doctor Who Handbook?[/quote']

Many of these unauthorized books were originally published as authorized versions but went OOP and have been republished as unauthorized versions.

I have the following reference books and I quite enjoy them, if you want ISBN numbers PM me and I'll supply them. Authors Surnames are listed.

Handbook Series:

First Doctor Howe/Stammers/Walker

Second Doctor Howe/Stammers/Walker

Third Doctor Howe & Walker

Fourth Doctor Howe/Stammers/Walker

Fifth Doctor Howe & Walker

Sixth Doctor Howe/Stammers/Walker

Seventh Doctor Howe & Walker

(These have since been republished as one volume).

Programme Guide Lofficier

Terrestrial Index Lofficier

Universal Databank Lofficier

(The three above are probably exactly what you want so check out this site http://www.lofficier.com/dwindex.html )

Nth Doctor Lofficier

Discontinuity Guide Cornell/Day/Topping

Completely Useless Encyclopedia Howarth & Lyons

Sixties Howe/Stammers/Walker

Seventies Howe/Stammers/Walker

Licence Denied Cornell

Early Years Bentham

A Celebration Haining

Doctor Who File Haining

Time-Travellers' Guide Haining

25 Glorious Years Haining

Timeframe Howe

Ace! Aldred & Tucker

Fictional Non-fiction:

Cybermen Banks

Monsters Rigelsford & Skilleter

Gallifrey Chronicles Peel

Technical Manual Harris

Sorry about spacing but I cut and pasted it from the Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of what I have.

• 1 month later...

25 glorious years is very good imo i have it somewhere.. probably a bit big tho it sure wont fit in ya pocket lol. I must say i tend to use the net for reference nowadays. the idea of a wap site for whovians is an interesting concept hell i might just do one myself, certainly somethin to think about.