Antipodean

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest c4evap

No matter what, I'll prolly purchase it when it is released on DVD. After all, I do own a copy of Star Trek V :p

c4 B)

I'm still trying to be optimistic about Trek XI. The latest news haven't helped' date=' though.[/quote']

Jepp it hasent. I really hoped for another picard film or a film with people from TNG DS9 and Voyager

Time travel people. Time travel. That's what it would take.

And after all, time travel has been one of the biggest fall back positions in ST history! Seriously - I bet ya that theres time travel involved. They'll give us at least one familiar trek face methinks... which would either require that Chekov aging disease or Time Travel.

Actually no... forget I mentioned it. It's been done to death. Surely even Abrams can't be that plot lazy.

They do not care what they put out. As long as it makes them money. The problem with hollywood is that they try to serve to the lowest common denomintor in order to make the most money. A truly good trek movie would not make them money as only us fans would go see it and thoes not in the know will be confused by what is going on. Thats why all trek films are simple and conform to the lowest common denominator. Except Star Trek TMP which most people thinks sucks. I liked TMP. It was an smart persons answer to Star Wars.

So, what can we expect in Star Trek XI? Simplicity, lotsa stuff exploding and more crapping on cannon.

I so hope I am wrong.. But I doubt it...

Indeed. I know I've said this on many occassions, but Enterprise was an abomination. They started out with a good premise, and had a couple of good ideas (from what I remember of it, much of the first season was pretty good, (But that decon scene.. *UGH*. Can you say "blatant sex appeal"?)) but in the end, all they cared about was money, continuity be damned.

whats wrong with blatant sex appeal? its 2006 eh, i almost fell of my chair in excitement the first episode someone was rubbing gel on T'pol and the chinese girl, and i couldnt wait for more! haha. but then again i am male.

Why didn't they just fly to the planet of lesbian mud wrestling where T'Pol had to fight to save the crew and be done with it?

I think the point Symok is making - and forgive me if I'm wrong - is that it lowered the tone. ENT and VOY essentially became little more than titilation and action, with technobabble filler. You could have had them on a ship in any universe and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

my mind wanders to an episode of DS9 where they traveled back in time with the use of an ORB and they crossed over a TOS episode. i thought it was done really well. something like that wouldnt be terrible.

It worked as an episode, I don't think it would work as a movie.

I really can't see a TOS era movie with new actors working. William Shatner *IS* Captain Kirk. Lenoard Nimoy *IS* Spock (he even said so himself in his book ;))

I think the point Symok is making - and forgive me if I'm wrong - is that it lowered the tone. ENT and VOY essentially became little more than titilation and action' date=' with technobabble filler. You could have had them on a ship in any universe and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.[/quote']

Exactly.

Star Trek is supposed to be more intelligent than that. If you want a series about people on a space ship with rampant sexual inuendo, etc, that's fine. Just don't call it Star Trek.

Why didn't they just fly to the planet of lesbian mud wrestling where T'Pol had to fight to save the crew and be done with it?

I saw that episode last night. It was getting really hot, but then the garbage truck woke me up. :cyclops:

Edit: Also, here is recently released footage of Shatner's reaction to news of the new film.

I saw that episode last night. It was getting really hot, but then the garbage truck woke me up. :cyclops:

Edit: Also, here is recently released footage of Shatner's reaction to news of the new film.

haha, that is great! :D I feel the same! ;)

(shater is kirk, not me :p )

I've seent hat episode btw, it was pretty good. :)

Matt Demon is Mirror Universe Kirk. :cyclops:

That's great. Though I knew what scene it was going to be before it finished loading ;) I wasn't expecting the desctruction of Paramount.

Anyone know if this has been posted to the Paramount Star Trek forums yet?

Sci-Fi's news page made a post about Damon being the new Kirk. Still not 100% confirmed but when major outlets start talking about it, it can often be a possibility.

I can see Damon pulling off the look and charisma of a young Kirk but I just dunno if he can really live up to the role itself. I mean who are they gonna pair him with as Spock?

Guest c4evap

SNIPPET:

ENT and VOY essentially became little more than titilation and action' date=' with technobabble filler.[/quote']

It's the one thing I disliked about VOY. Very unnecessary. Of course the folks responsible for pushing demographics at the networks/studios would argue with me.

c4 :(

Yeah, I think it was an act of desperation... that and Braga seems to have a reputation for it.

And while I'd admit that TOS, TNG and DS9 were all subject to occasional tittilation and meaningless fisty cuffs... I think that after season 4 of Voyager the catsuits, fan service and fisty cuffs just became part of the "Trek formula". Which is why we had T'Pol poured into her catsuit from day one and regularly getting a good ol' rubdown. DON'T FORGET THE PON'FARR!

To be honest, if the show had gone on a Hoshi/T'Pol shower scene wouldn't have surprised me.

Guest c4evap
Yeah, I think it was an act of desperation... that and Braga seems to have a reputation for it.

And while I'd admit that TOS, TNG and DS9 were all subject to occasional tittilation and meaningless fisty cuffs... I think that after season 4 of Voyager the catsuits, fan service and fisty cuffs just became part of the "Trek formula". Which is why we had T'Pol poured into her catsuit from day one and regularly getting a good ol' rubdown. DON'T FORGET THE PON'FARR!

To be honest, if the show had gone on a Hoshi/T'Pol shower scene wouldn't have surprised me.

Too true! If they ever do another TV series I hope they don't go that route again. Very unnecessary.

c4 B)

I quite enjoy smut in scifi, of course it helps if the show is actually good at the same time, so then it appeals on all levels. A bit of smut helps ease TV shows through the occasional lame patches you get in rediculously long TV runs.