STAR TREK XI

Antipodean

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm... given that it's Star Trek - I think time travel is pretty likely... plus, it would give license to continuity rape...

Although, it could play out in so many ways - it's pointless to speculate. Not only that, it could simply be for the purposes of story telling. Older Spock at the academy telling some young whipper snappers about he and Kirk were great.

Over the last few months I been pondering why Paramount said they would not ever do another Star Trek movie or TV show. I saw this on the two hour special the History channel did on the Star Trek phenomenon. I believe the one gentleman was the head of Paramount, then Gene’s widow said something similar and Capt Kirk said it at the end of the show. It is rather hard to believe a show that has brought in half a billion would be shelved forever. Yea Sure. Anyway, I have watched every show and movie now for the last forty some years and I would love to see more series and movies. With the following the show has it is doubtful it would ever lose money. Were still watching the series from the sixties for heavens sake. Long live the Star Trek imaginations.

Badmoon

Quinto Confirmed As Spock, Kirk Not Cast

Score one for the bloggers.

Of all the people that have been bantied about as being part of the new "Star Trek XI" cast, it appears that one of the shots in the dark had to hit its mark, and it did.

Director J.J. Abrams confirmed that both "Heroes" star Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy will play the iconic role of the Enterprise science officer Spock in the upcoming Trek movie, according to Cinematical. Abrams made the long-awaited announcement during his Comic-Con International panel in San Diego Thursday afternoon.

As far as major casting announcements, however, that was pretty much it. There is still no Kirk cast. No McCoy. No Scotty. And filming begins in just four months.

Abrams said that William Shatner is not fully out of the film yet, but they are trying to find a place for the "Boston Legal" star. His best friend and 40-year Trek co-star Nimoy attended the panel with Abrams, and told the crowd he would don the pointy ears one last time.

"People have been asking me why I'm doing this movie, and I think the answer is obvious," Nimoy said. "We have a great director, a wonderful script, and a wonderful young actor playing Spock, so ... it was logical."

Source: SyFy Portal

I wouldn't say no to a new series, but it all comes down to if the movie is successful enough. :-\

I'm not to enthusiastic about a series featuring a young Kirk and I'd rather see a new Captain and crew (perhaps someone that has been mentioned or been part of a past series). They could also make a series of "short" series (miniseries or a double seasons) exploring some of the "big" events in canon like the wars with Klingons and Romulans, as long as they do not make yet another 5 year mission that turns into a gel rubbing disaster.

I wouldn't say no to a new series, but it all comes down to if the movie is successful enough. :-\

I'm not to enthusiastic about a series featuring a young Kirk and I'd rather see a new Captain and crew (perhaps someone that has been mentioned or been part of a past series). They could also make a series of "short" series (miniseries or a double seasons) exploring some of the "big" events in canon like the wars with Klingons and Romulans, as long as they do not make yet another 5 year mission that turns into a gel rubbing disaster.

Hilander is correct in what he said about it being yet another 5 year mission, I would actually say that a big event like wars with the klingons or romulans would be more interesting, the only snag with this is that we have already had this with DS9, in season 4 we had the way of the warrior and then we had the romulans against them in season 5/6.

If they had lenoard Nimoy and william shatner in the new film it would probably boost the people that view it, certainly I have took more interest in this now there is a possibility in this happening!

But that could hamper its non-fan appeal, depending on how its done. Is it being done for some kind of continuity reason - putting them in at the start only (so you get a "Dr Who movie" scenario) or for some other scene that's obviously to appease fans but confuses non-fans.

To be honest I think only star trek 4:The Voyage home really appealed to non-trek fans with its tongue-in cheek humour.

Sounds right.

Like Star trek V - "The Final Frontier" mostly appeals to folks who enjoy frontal lobotomy's.

lobotomy.JPG.0357bed6eef14de895a453aea4e56640.JPG

Is it weird that some people will watch any canon trek, such as Enterprise or Nemesis and find it enjoyable, and is actually looking forward to this movie?

That's me.

And as for it not appealing to non-scifi fans, i find that a little cruel, considering we know very little about what it's going to be about.

Is it weird that some people will watch any canon trek, such as Enterprise or Nemesis and find it enjoyable, and is actually looking forward to this movie?

That's me.

And as for it not appealing to non-scifi fans, i find that a little cruel, considering we know very little about what it's going to be about.

Its not really cruel really as Star Trek really hasnt had the same appeal as the likes of star wars (even though I much prefer star trek).

Hilander is correct in what he said about it being yet another 5 year mission, I would actually say that a big event like wars with the klingons or romulans would be more interesting, the only snag with this is that we have already had this with DS9, in season 4 we had the way of the warrior and then we had the romulans against them in season 5/6.

DS9 was mostly about the Dominion War, but I can see your point that it might be repetitive with yet another war.

Then changing the style from the basic "canon" format would help a lot. Would be nice to see Main Cast wearing a "red shirt" and be replaced by a new face every now and then. ;)