Star Trek: Remastered

vyper

oh great... more DVDs I need to buy when they come out lol..

___

___

Ok.. Seen the episode.. Not really impressed. Yea the effects look great. But they looked fine to me in the origionals. I see no need to redo all the effects in all of the episodes.

___

___

MOD EDIT: Please use the edit button when posting twice in a row.

What exactly was the point of this?!!!

If they wanted to respect the original by redoing the shots to make them very similar and avoid any modern style angles/effect shots, why didn't they actually respect the material by leaving it alone?

It would seem to make much more sense to take a dozen or so action orientated episodes and give them a proper makeover with really impressive effects work, and have them as alternative modernised versions. But to redo all 79 very subtley seems absolutely pointless.

Did it not also look a little rushed, with the texture detail a bit low? Remember that it was only a few weeks ago that there was any official anouncement.

Personally I wasnt that impressed with the Enhanced Balance Of Terror, a cleaned up intro and titles, a CGI ship, which most of the time looked like a model hanging on a string and a new fireball effect, hardly worth getting excited over or going out to buy the new DVDs when they become available (if and when). The new comet effect was probably the best out of the new stuff. Goodness knows how theyll enhance 'Miri' and others, stories set on Earth or Planet bound stories wont require many effects upgrades. I thought theyd go for a more TNG (and beyond) style space effects with the ship moving better in combat. But I suppose they just wanted to try and keep it as close to the original as possible but a little sharper in places.

Spocks ears still look like playdough though :)

• 4 weeks later...

They also cut the scene in the cellar when Kirk says to Spock that 'He approves of hobbies!' The whole things been cut to hell for the ads, im gonna hang for the HD releases, then itll be worth watching the enhanced version. For now, having seen a few episodes with a couple of new CGI planet & ship scenes, I dont expect to see anything else thats new. Theres only so many space scenes you can look at and go 'oooh, I like what they done with that!' :)

Ill just watch my rematered uncut versions for now!

• 3 months later...

Well, I' staying with my earlier opinion (I was sure I mentioned it in a thread somewhere, but appearently not this one). I find the changes don't really improve on things, if anything, they make it seem less retro and thus 'less credible' in starange kind of way....

Give the the 'real' original please. :)