Who's sick of a ship called Enterprise?

Tenebrae

We've had countless sea faring vessels called Enterprise, a shuttlecraft, an ill-fated TV show and now, the first of Virgin Galactic's orbital vessels is going to be called Enterprise.

Can't we have SOME originality? We should be giving ships awesome names like DEATH BRINGER. VENGANCE... They need to stop pandering to a show that happened 40 years ago.

Guest Mrthumps

The thing is that the said show has influcenced all the designers, business people and what not into coming up with these ship designs that of course it makes sense to them to name it "enterprise".

And as long as people find said show and watch it and become inspired/influenced by said show there will be those who want to call the first of any new spacecraft "Enterprise" just because the show the name came from influenced themt o that point in their lives.

Honestly, I think this is just a little thing that you need to get over and let go of because it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Evidently, just you.

It's a common vessel name that almost everyone has heard of and evokes futuristic thoughts in many. It may just be a way of advertising.

I built my own ship once and named it Excalibur because I thought that it sounded cool (at least to a 10 year old) Oddly enough, almost no one else did. I should have thought better as it, like Arthur's sword, wound up returning to the bottom of the lake. Oh well.

In the Star Trek universe Enterprise has always been a ship to do great things.

The Enterprise NX-01 was the first ship - it saved Earth from the Xindi and was the first ship that did long range exploration

Then we had the whole Enterprise, Enterprise Refit, Enterprise A, Band i suppose after the Enterprise C they just wanted to continue the long line of Enterprises

Although in saying that we heard from Enterprise (series) that it goes up to Enterprise J at least :o

Guest c4evap
Who's sick of a ship called Enterprise?

Not me.

You OK there Tenebrae? Sounds like you need a wee bit of the 'ol Milk of Magnesia ;)

c4 B)

I'm with Tenebrae on this one.

Come on - they're naming a Virgin plane Enterprise - what next?

"Be the first to drive the ALL NEW, VERY ORIGINAL FORD ENTERPRISE"

"Tired of using the stairs, take the ALL NEW AND ORIGINAL ENTERPRISE ELEVATOR"

Guest c4evap

LOL!

Between 1705 and 1979, there were 12 'HMS Enterprises", while between 1775 and 1999, there were 8 "USS Enterprises". There have also been 8 NASA and Starfleet "Enterprises", 8 French "Enterprises", 1 Confederate "Enterprise", and countless privately-owned "Enterprises".

Found that here.

Let's not forget Enterprise Rent-A-Car and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and BLACK ENTERPRISE MAGAZINE and Apollo Enterprise Solutions...LOL, I could go on and on and on...

c4 ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with Tenebrae on this one.

Come on - they're naming a Virgin plane Enterprise - what next?

"Be the first to drive the ALL NEW, VERY ORIGINAL FORD ENTERPRISE"

"Tired of using the stairs, take the ALL NEW AND ORIGINAL ENTERPRISE ELEVATOR"

well this car is caled voyager:)

voyager.jpg.8cfc7598d0d61f235757fb831de6538d.jpg

You know, the jokes are just so obvious...

I can't help but say... if you crash it, if you come back next week will it be back the way it was when you got it?

Anyway to reitterate, it really just shows a great lack of enterprise to call your ship/boat/car/mother Enterprise.

I'm surprised nobody has started naming stuff Phoenix. I mean granted, we all recognize Enterprise as one of humanity's first vessels at exploration, from as far back as sailing ships as people are pointing out. But Zephram Cochranes innovation of warp travel in The Phoenix goes un noticed. I'd like to see like, one of the new energy based cars (or hybrids) be named that. Sure it's not a easy comparison but it is a tiny, tiny, tiny step into using energy to travel and who knows maybe some day we'll take another step from using rocket fuel and oxygen to manuver in space to something else and that too could be labeled Phoenix ;p

University of Phoenix

Phoenix Suns

River Phoenix

Phoenix Real Estate

Cities named Phoenix:

According to Mapquest, there are 10 towns or cities in the United States that are named "Phoenix"

1. Besides Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, there are:

2. Phoenix, Illinois (Cook County) - in the greater Chicago metro region

3. Phoenix, Louisiana (Plaquemines Parish) - in the Mississippi Delta, south of New Orleans

4. Phoenix, Maryland (Baltimore County) - north of Baltimore

5. Phoenix, Michigan, (Keweenaw County) - in the Upper Peninsula

6. Phoenix, Mississippi ( Yazoo County) - northwest of Jackson

7. Phoenix, New York (Oswego County) - northwest of Syracuse

8. Phoenix, Oregon, (Jackson County) - just outside Medford

9. Phoenix, Colorado (Gilpin County) - in the Rockies west of Denver

10. Phoenix, Georgia (Putnam County) - southeast of Atlanta

LOL...

c4 :)

University of Phoenix

Phoenix Suns

River Phoenix

Phoenix Real Estate

Cities named Phoenix:

According to Mapquest, there are 10 towns or cities in the United States that are named "Phoenix"

1. Besides Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, there are:

2. Phoenix, Illinois (Cook County) - in the greater Chicago metro region

3. Phoenix, Louisiana (Plaquemines Parish) - in the Mississippi Delta, south of New Orleans

4. Phoenix, Maryland (Baltimore County) - north of Baltimore

5. Phoenix, Michigan, (Keweenaw County) - in the Upper Peninsula

6. Phoenix, Mississippi ( Yazoo County) - northwest of Jackson

7. Phoenix, New York (Oswego County) - northwest of Syracuse

8. Phoenix, Oregon, (Jackson County) - just outside Medford

9. Phoenix, Colorado (Gilpin County) - in the Rockies west of Denver

10. Phoenix, Georgia (Putnam County) - southeast of Atlanta

LOL...

c4 :)

Yea but how many of those were named with the basis of Cochrane's Phoenix as the idea for it? Hell if I know my canon correctly, The Phoenix wasn't even named until First Contact, unless it was in a bit of dialogue in that one TOS episode where Kirk meets the time traveling Cochrane. In which case most of those places/towns were named well before Cochrane's ship was first named.