Why we like sci-fi

ZaphodiLe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought I was born too soon. I should not yet be until...let's say...the 24th century. Seriously though...I was raised on scifi. My older brother Jack always let me stay up late to watch the Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone with him. Basically, I love time travel stories. Why? Cause I'd love to be able to go back and see who exactly built the pyramids, to meet Christ face to face, to watch the Wright brothers first flight and maybe even take a baseball bat to Hitlers head (LOL). I'd also dig going forward into the future. Boarding a starship to the other side of the galaxy, etc.

c4 :)

That's a tough question.

I think the reason i like sci-fi is because it's so unusual - the aliens we see are like nothing we could imagine - all with their own personalities and features. There is so much more freedom in Sci-fi for different stories - each story can be completly different from the last. I also like the idea of seeing what our future might be like and how there is so much more out there than what we know.

Obviously, the fact I wasn't born in the glory days of the British Empire is a source of perpetual trauma to me.

Sci-fi let's me believe that at some point in the future all the races inferior to those of the motherland shall once more have the power of self-governance removed for their own good and for the good of all mankind and restorted to us, long may we reign. DADADADADADA!

In a more serious way... sci-fi represents the future... a future where my army of buxom, super catgirls could be realised.

Ok, serious (well, I was serious before) I promise. Sci-fi is essentially future tales... We all want to know where the world is going. We all want to think that humanity is going to do something...

• 2 weeks later...

Well my folks were sci-fi fans, so I was brought up on Dr Who, Start Trek and Blakes 7... as well as Asimov, Arthur C Clark, Jack Vance, Frank Herbert etc, so I guess it was inevitable that I would grow into a sci fi fan.

But the reason I think I like sci fi is that it is a genre that while being capable of being fantastic, escapist and action packed, is nonetheless intellectually engaging and full of possibility. Sci-fi is pop culture entertainment that gives you room to think.

erm why do I like sci-fi, i always thought it required a greater imagination than the standard stuff on television, secondly in the case of star trek it made you think about what the future would be like (more of a uptopian soceity) or rather not in some casesl lol...and always been a sci-fi fan from the start when i was a kid and remembering space 1999, Buck Rodgers, the old Fash Gordon Tv series, Dr who, Star Trek, the old Battlestar Galactica, as well as the old B movies such as war of the worlds, this planet earth etc etc and of course Blakes 7

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can say that I've been brought up with sci-fi. I don't watch it everyday nor have I actively watched it since I was little but yeah, i kinda grew up with it. First with star trek, then star wars and other shows. anyone remember sliders? that was an awesome show back in the day and after seeing some pics on the web i think it's a show that could hold its own if re-aired on any tv channel. It was fresh in its day, appealed to viewers watching tv with their remote control (ie the little device opening that wormhole to the other dimensions).

BSG was pretty good too but i never could get into the other new shows coming out in recent years.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've kinda been growing up with sci-fi around me too, but since i'm quite young (19) then it's been with Star Trek TNG and co. Although some of the German channels we could recieve at the time had TOS and TNG running all the time and sometimes the old BSG series (still can't adjust to the fact that Starbuck's a woman :P)

Strangely enough, my parents don't know anything about Dr. Who, not even what a Dalek is  ???

and oh yeah... Sliders... a very good series till it got f**ck'd up..

Guest c4evap

SNIPPET:

and oh yeah... Sliders... a very good series till it got f**ck'd up..

Agreed!

*c4 holds nose after Sliders Season 3*

:P

I also missed the same but not storylines. It's so close to home but different that it was eerie. then in season 3 they went to places with dinosaurs and out of old novels or movies. It went from interesting to weird. Then Jerry wanted to add some excitement and change the basic story around for season 4. Season 5 doesn't even count as Sliders to me. I'll still watch it, though.

I hate Sci-Fi. ;)

Sliders was great on a show by show basis, but I lost interest when it became apparent that the writers never planned too far in advance. None of the story arcs ever seemed to get resolved, they would simply replace old arcs with new ones with zero sense of closure. It was very unfulfilling. :(

When I was really young, I never enjoyed sci-fi much, the closest I came to it being the novels of Douglas Adams, although I did watch about half an episode of Star Trek. It wasn't until the 2005 series of Doctor Who that I took interest, becoming a proper fan at The Empty Child[\i].