Anybody try IE7-Final yet?

TetsuoShima

Ok to really convert me 100% heres a few things I cant live without in FF that i hope I can do in Opera, so if you 'Opera'tives can help me get the most out of it Ill be grateful (Im lazy in tweaking new apps as u can guess).

Adblock, so I can block any ad pictures or iFrames?

McAfee Site Advisor...gotta have that???

Bookmarks in the userbar, just below address bar??

Download notification bar instead of having to open my download folder all the time?

Can some or all of these be achieved?

Also any other useful tips would be appreciated, practical stuff as opposed to eye candy stuff (although eye candy would be nice) :)  TIA

Opera already allows you block specific content such as ads.

Right click on the webpage and select Block Content.

Some sort of Site Adviser is apparently being developed in Opera 9.1

You can already add bookmarks to the userbar. Simply drag a page from your bookmarks or drag a tab on to your userbar.

Yup, everything you mentioned is present by default in opera 9.10 (which has officially been released today), not the same 'brands' maybe, but certainly the same (and possibly better) functionality.

I'm not much for eye candy (I like things simple), I do know that you can use different skins and themes and such, but I never looked into it.

For downloads and page openings you can enter some settings under preferences and the transfer page is extremely easily accessible.

Ok I think Im definitely hooked now, been playing around with it all morning so far. Just one or 2 things still bothering me. Where as its still got good ad blocking facilities, on FF when I choose to block content Im allowed to use an asterisk* as a wildcard to block anything related to that particular url or keyword and its also a site wide blockage whereas in Opera can I edit the block with an asterisk* and can I make it site wide, as an example every Dem0n0id page I visit the ad images keep showing up, it would be nice if they would just sod off for good as opposed to me having to manually block them on every page visit.

So far so good though, loving some of the widgets, shame that they close down when the browser closes, ah well, cant have it all eh? :)

You can edit the blocked pages manually from the preferences/content page. You can use * as a wildcard. If you use right click, block, it will only save a certain image, if you want to block an entire domain/subdomain, you have to do it manually (as in, edit the block list).

I recently (a few months ago) began using the feature and by now I hardly see any ads anywhere anymore.

Thanks TestsuoShima, Ive been looking further into it, it does appear to be using wildcards which is great! The more I play with this the sexier it is getting. I remember tryuing Opera out way back in the early 2000s and it was nothing compared to what it is now, amazing.

But I dont like the built in BT transfers, whenever I cick on a T*rrent link it kicks in, I still wish to use uT so how do I stop BT links from being detected by Opera transfers?

i've always used a download manager so i've never had a problem with browsers taking over my downloads.

i like IE7, it looks ok. However, there are some problems with security and other features. I also don't like some of the default settings like Cleartype. Makes my eyes feel blurred.

Re: The BT problem, no worries guys I found it, had to double click the option to bring it up but I found it :)

And I think thats it for me, Im very happy with its setup, Im now an official Opera-ite or whatever we call ourselves lol

Does that earn me a Q'ness point or 2? ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Im still thoroughly enjoying Opera, however somethings really annoying me still. In FF whenever I typed in a dialogue box that Ive used before, like a search box or Google search it would remember previous entries therefore enabling me to find stuff faster but in opera it doesnt do that, apart from the form filler with name, email etc. How can I get Opera to remember search entries etc. Would be so helpful.

Although i am not entirly certain where to enable that option, you may find this interesting: Go to the following link in Opera (If you don't know about it already)

opera:config (Type it in the address bar)

It allows you a lot more freedom over customising Opera. (Including how to disable the built in BitTorrent feature)

i use FF2 not used opera for years but IE7 just plain sucks, the only good thing i've heard recently about Opera is it is 100% Acid Compliant IE7 is hopeless and FF is like 95% so i may have a go again with opera for old times sake but i dunno i Like my FF a lot an 2 is sweet  ;D