Anybody try IE7-Final yet?

TetsuoShima

Okay, I've been running Opera 8.54 for the last few months. The day before yesterday I finally decided to upgrade to Opera 9.02. A lot of very good and nice improvements there, though not perfect, some things went better on Opera 8.54, some go better on 9.02. Overall 9.02 is an improvement over 8.54 though.

Then yesterday Microsoft finally released their new browser as a 'final' release (even though it is known to have some bugs, though nothing too major), anyway it's only available now in a few languages, English being one. I downloaded and tested it today and I have to say, as far as the workings are concerned I am not dissapointed. It performs faster and better, at least in my eyes (that is compared too IE6). It is also more compliant to webstandards, though compared to for example Opera, it now is only at the level of Opera 7.5, so they still have a lot of catching up to do, but at least there is progress.

My major gripe is with the default layout of the browser, everything is just so messed up and in the wrong place, to just get the menu bar at the right position, you have to go and edit the registry manually, sure, you can drag a few bars around a bit, but not nearly as much as should be possible, compared to the competition. Most of the rest of the browser seems quite okay, but that layout is really doing it damage.

Not that it will be a problem for most 'enthousiasts', since they all use different browsers, I intend to keep on using Opera 9.02 btw, it is far superior to IE7 (even with the improvements over IE6). Anyway, if MS keeps up the pace and keeps on working on IE, it may very well be possible that in a year (or a few) IE can again become an acceptable default browser.

(the tabs are nice too, though the Opera tabs are a lot better to work with, imo IE7 focused to much on looks and too little on ergonomics.)

So anybody else try it yet? And what were your impressions...

Yes the layout was a problem for me too - Opera allows more customizability to IE7. And i've gotten too used to Opera to switch back to IE again :rolleyes:

There are deffinetly some improvments with IE7 but compared to Opera it's not enough.

You're not upgrading to SP2???? :stare:

Then you're in a world of hurt if you plan on staying with XP...

MS has officially stopped support for SP1, thus no further updates wil appear adn all security holes will remain open... Your choice, but I would either upgrade or switch OS...

I technically only use the version of IE that Windows Update insists I install... I say 'technically', because other than Windows Update and the one IE-only site I visit that the Firefox IE-in-a-tab doesn't work with I never use IE explicitly.

... and that's only when I'm running Windows. ^^

You're not upgrading to SP2???? :stare:

Then you're in a world of hurt if you plan on staying with XP...

MS has officially stopped support for SP1, thus no further updates wil appear adn all security holes will remain open... Your choice, but I would either upgrade or switch OS...

i'll only go to sp2 WHEN my computer crashes to the point it needs formatting whichwon't be long becasue its been over a year since i formatted

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it comes as an automatic update on mine so it's been on here and i couldn't get on with it so it's off again

but it'll have to go on again cos i need to keep up with the users who will be asking me to fix it

but why not something that allows it to look like 6

(and i'm still bitchiong about my demotion)

(slow day today lol)

Guest Mrthumps

I have yet to download it but I will have to eventually as my school's server to access the lab to do our homework is explorer only.

However, so far they have said not to do it until they work out the compatibility issue so that's where I'm at.

For some silly reason I still get IE7 coming up (even tho its not default browser) when some of my Office 2007 apps wants to use the internet, that about it really, or for other certain Microsoft downloads I prefer to use IE as FF sometimes just doesnt wanna know!

you can disable the tab system ; goto Tools> intenet options

you will see some thing tike this on inthe inter net options

tabs ---------------------------------------------------------------

{img} decription of the tab system                  |_setting_|

click on the seting s and you will see a check box at the top asking you if you want tabed brouing uncheck it