New Star wars releases

Tablet

ok as most of you know i was supposed to do this last weekend (or was it the one before) but i didn't coz of uni work but anyway heres my not so indepth to send you to sleep but deep enough to convince you not to buy them.

Price:

First off is the big question, how much i paid for them. I scowered the high streets and woolworths was the cheapest at £15.97 each (1 week later a collection of the 3 was released:() I know that might seem a bit much but compared to HMV and Virgin, it's cheap. I didnt check amazon and i still havent checked so dont rub salt in whats already a gaping wound.

Why i bought them:

On the commercial for the DVDs it said 'features original theatrical release' which i thought was a really great idea from lucas (for a change) and it is, more on that later

Star Wars IV A NEW HOPE:

The movie that started it all in widescreen and in 5.1 which sounds beautiful and crisp.

Re-edit: taking prize position on disc 1 is george Lucas' re-edit of the movie i only saw this edit a few days ago and was shocked, not only does the CGI look dated but having Jabba the Hutt in there was a mistake, the editing of the movie itself has left sound effects and speech in awkward places and seem disjoined from the movie.

Original release: Having a 5.1 surround system i thought 'wouldn't it be great to see the original theatrical release in 5.1.....well im still waiting, not only has george lucas renegated the original version to disc 2 (extras disc) its in 2.0 dont give me wrong i love the fact it's in 4:3 but i wanted 5.1 argh!!! hmm now i got that out of my system.

Star Wars V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - i'll add later once iv'e watched it :D

Star Wars VI RETURN OF THE JEDI - I'll add later once i've watched it :D

I know its not finished, but with it a 1/3 done it'll give me incentive to finish

Isn't it not having 5.1 actually showing that it is a faithful release of the theatrical versions?

Anyone who actually pays money for these is a sucker. There is no economic or moral reason to do so. You will be paying for something you've probably paid for at least twice before, including VHS and DVD and You'll probably pay for it again on HD.

This is so appalingly obvious that I think it might contribute to the cretinous marketing campaign about them 'only being available for a limited time only.' Suggesting that there is an awareness that even diehard fans are uncertain about whether they really feel they should pay good money for these, hence trying to seduce the more foolish of them by suggesting that these releases will become harder to get hold of.

This would be a vaguely dignified release if it simply consisted of a budget set of the three original versions at, say, twenty pounds for the lot.

Wait for the HD releases to actually spend your money, seeing as they'll probably be part of a better, more comprehensive set and harder to make your own copies of.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't tell me Lucas is going to release another batch of star wars dvds. This newly released one is way too expensive for what it actually has. If I were Lucas I would seriously consider not releasing the trilogy again for at least 5 years. That way the market doesn't get saturated in sw dvds like it did with sw videos. It's so not needed, really there is no point, WE ALL HAVE THE STAR WARS MOVIES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no need to release anymore editions of star wars. No HD version is needed. The dvds are about as good as it can really get for the first trilogy and as for the prequels, well the dvds for those are pretty good compared to other dvds on the market.