Play Star War Galaxies For Free

Chiggy

I thought that would get your attention Star Wars fans!

It would appear that there are a number of fan based servers out there that are free.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these before I commit my life to one? :-)

Thanks.

Well in case anyone here has been living under a log for the last five months............

A noble band of nerds with C++ skills have teamed up to emulate the old Star Wars Galaxies server technology........remember those free World of War Craft servers? Like those.

It isnt illegal as you need to buy the retail version od Star Wars Galaxies to play.

At the moment there is only one really good server up......you can walk around, pick up items, but there are no NPC's and almost no playability.

As with anything that involves Lucas, interlectual property is always an issue. It could be this project is shut down before it is completed although the game designers of the latest verion of Galaxies say that they have no plans to bring back the original.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mrthumps

Does anyone still care about Star Wars Galaxies?

Everyone that I know who played it has long since given up and moved over/back to World of Warcraft or another of those ripoff games.

The community is huge.........imagine a star wars game that is run by the fans.........items and worlds created by the fans.........being able to host your own Star Wars server.

The reason why your friends gave up with this game is because the developers made a mess of that game................the sole purpose of the emu is make a Star Wars game the fans wants to play not the game some silly software house wants you to play.

If you are a Star Wars fan and you arent excited by this I would suggest you consult a doctor because your clearly depressed.

Guest Mrthumps

Umm...no offense but MMORPG' are dumb, even dumber than forum based RPGs.

I'm a star wars fan but I have no intention of ever playing this game because I would rather them make a decent game, like a new tie fighter type, than try to get on the World of Warcraft bandwagon. I have a life. ;) if you don't watch South Park than you'll probably not get the joke

Implying that someone isn't a fan because they may don't blindly buy everything with the name of said series isn't much of an argument.

But whatever....different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

You don't have to worry about me continuing to post here just to harp and moan about it. I've said what I've wanted to say. Feel free to contact me by PM if you do wish to continue though since I don't want to ruin this thread with our discussion that isn't about your gaming server that you're advertising.

No ones asking anyone to buy anything ST EMU is FREE...no mindless Star Wars fans here, parting with cash for the very sake of this game being 'Star Wars', hence the title of this thread! Its community based.

It is sorry to know that you think MMORG'S are dumn but thats one mans opinion. I think South Park is a waste of space but thats just another opinion from one man, not the collective consensus of this forum.

I`m not advertising any gaming server. It just so happened at that time I didnt know of the home of this EMU. What I am advertising is the entire ST EMU Community and letting all the forum resident Star Wars fans know that this project is all about.

I'm a star wars fan but I have no intention of ever playing this game because I would rather them make a decent game, like a new tie fighter type, ...

Yeah, talking about which, can you believe even now, I still play X-Wing Alliance, that game is over 7 years old, yet it's still fantastic to play, great storyline, great gameplay, acceptabel graphics,...

It's still got a huuge fanbase after all this time, with a lot of projects to upgrade the game to more recent standards and create new content for the game.

I recommend it to everyone who likes these sort of games.

XWAUpgrade is one of the more popular upgrade project, for those of you who have not played the game for a while, doa reinstall and install the upgrades and be amazed!

THIS GAME STILL ROCKS, EVEN AFTER ALL THIS TIME!

(I'm pretty sure that a new game in the series would be an instant hit, if done right)

I'm a star wars fan but I have no intention of ever playing this game because I would rather them make a decent game, like a new tie fighter type, ...

Yeah, talking about which, can you believe even now, I still play X-Wing Alliance, that game is over 7 years old, yet it's still fantastic to play, great storyline, great gameplay, acceptabel graphics,...

It's still got a huuge fanbase after all this time, with a lot of projects to upgrade the game to more recent standards and create new content for the game.

I recommend it to everyone who likes these sort of games.

XWAUpgrade is one of the more popular upgrade project, for those of you who have not played the game for a while, doa reinstall and install the upgrades and be amazed!

THIS GAME STILL ROCKS, EVEN AFTER ALL THIS TIME!

(I'm pretty sure that a new game in the series would be an instant hit, if done right)

/me has the original Star Wars: X-Wing. Now it's 13 years old!

I was like 4 when it came out so needless to say it was a bit of a challenge ;) But it's still a great game.

Heh , yeah I owned , played and loved those early X-Wing games.

XWAUpgrade eh? Sounds interesting :)

I also played SWG for about a year solid (Yes , I have NO life) - but sorry to say I felt the ppl running it pandered to the whiny kids too much (all the kids wanted to be a Jedi - so they eventually made the game so *everybody* could be one).

Since this server you talk about is done by such fans I'd be very sceptical about it's playability.

Not to mention it's breaking copyright with both Lucas AND Sony at the same time - if there's such a thing as ASKING for trouble than that would be it :)

(don't expect it to last too long before it gets jumped on!)