Privacy International:

TetsuoShima

The Electronic Privacy Information Center along with Privacy International have published their yearly report on privacy of citizens in over 70 countries.

The report is based on a range of criteria such as: constitutional protection/statutory protection/privacy enforcement/democratic safeguards/....

Some observations:

- US scores are quite bad

- Canada does very good

- China's score is horrible

- UK scores even worse than US

- Sweden is at the bottom of the EU list, just above UK

- Germany nearly scores honours, top of the list overall

- Belgium, Austria and Greece are the only other countries (besides Germany and Canada), to score over 3 out of 5 average

- The only country to score a 5 out of 5 in a single category is Canada in "comms data retention"

- No country recieved the award: "Consistently upholds human rights standards"

Have a look for yourself to see how your and other countries fare:

Report in PDF format directly from the source

A graphical overview of the same report: http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-545269&als[theme]=Privacy%20and%20Human%20Rights

Reading the chart doesn't give all the facts. So I made a quick peek at the source (source) and decided that I don't have the time to read the entire report (would take a few days to read and analyse).

But if the chart is somewhat accurate, considering it's measuring a qualitative figure, then it's not a surprise that my own country (Sweden) scores low on information privacy.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear the UK does that stuff to help fight crime. Apparently it's not that unpopular there if it helps fight crime, according to the news services.

I think privacy rights over the internet need to be strengthened so that people can use the web for business and personal stuff. Just my two cents.