New Series Announced

TFMF

You've probably all heard it now, but in case you've been living under a rock, here is the announcement where Sir Patrick Stewart announces he will be staring in a new Star Trek series.

Picard is Back!

30 minutes ago, flicky said:

I know I'll watch it eventually, but I'm currently working my way through TOS and expect to watch everything else in order, so it'll be a while!

I assume this is a re-watch, or is this your first go at Star Trek?

I find TOS hard going, but then I was born when Picard was in his 3rd season, so... 😛

I'm actually so envious of how you're going to watch Star Trek for the first time.

As I say, I found TOS a bit tough/slow (I'll be honest, I haven't actually watched it all the way through...).

TNG, DS9 and Voyager are great. Not sure how it would be watching it for the first time now, though... 

Oh I forgot, I've also seen the first of the modern movies with Chris Pine in them.

Yeah I'm perfectly prepared to accept that the shows might not be up to modern standards, but then again I like watching the classic Doctor Whos so in comparison they might not be as bad. :classic_tongue:

• TFMF featured and unfeatured this topic
8 hours ago, hayden said:

I'll be giving it a watch, but i didnt make it past episode 3 of the recent series. What were your thoughts on ST return to the small screen?

I actually get what you mean.

Discovery was kind of difficult to get into,  but when I think of it, so was most ST series. TNG itself was terrible in season 1. 😛

They split Discovery season 1 into 2 parts, with a mid season break. I found part 2 got much better - might be worth another try, Hayden?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dBLOOD said:

I thought I saw a message from you saying that you close down the forum.

The old forum host got rid of their service, so I didn't plan on opening a new one, but then I was able to get this one up and running quite quickly so decided to reopen. This one is on our own server so should be fine.

2 hours ago, dBLOOD said:

Do we know which universe is it going to happen? The original, or the pandering to PC-sheep universe?

Well, I want to believe that if Sir Patrick is involved, it would be the original universe, but considering he said a lot had changed/happened since the last time we saw him (Nemesis), I'm wondering if it will be an alternate universe...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

long time, no chat.

I am really excited about this new ST series, and that's one of the reasons I am happy to have this forum back.

I see years of ST discussion to come 🙂

The show will be set in the 24th Century, 15-20 years after TNG.

Picard will be an older, more determined man - who may have changed substantially.

Many of the old cast rumored to be making cameos,

Including Frakes (Riker), Spiner (Data), Burton (Jordy), Sirtis (Troi), McFaden (Dr. Crusher), Wheaton (Wesley) etc.

One would assume John Delancy (Q) will also be back.

And some episdes may be directed by old cast members.

Jonathan Frakes and other cast have been directing ST episodes for years.

Frakes has recently Directed ST: Discovery and The Orville.

Like the best of the ST universe, the series will make strong connections to our current world, humankind, politics, law etc.

To see how excited Patrick Stewart is about his return, I know it will have to be brilliant.

Stewart will obviously have a strong influence over the series.

But it may not be Picard at the helm of a vessel.

And it could feature branching storylines, or take a non-episodic approach.

Like "Tales from Star Trek"

Honesty, which ever way it goes, I cant wait...

It will be released late 2019 or early 2020.

And has been fast tracked, so we may even see it earlier

[fingers crossed]

On 8/16/2018 at 4:29 AM, flicky said:

I know I'll watch it eventually, but I'm currently working my way through TOS and expect to watch everything else in order, so it'll be a while!

Hey Flicky:

I take it you are watching ST in the chronological release order (?!?)

Will you be watching all of the films too?

There is a bit of crossover, when DS9 and then Voyager commence.

I strongly recommend watching the TOS Animated series.

It gets a little wacky, but there were some of the best ST episodes in the Animated series.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, subspatial said:

Hey Flicky:

I take it you are watching ST in the chronological release order (?!?)

Will you be watching all of the films too?

There is a bit of crossover, when DS9 and then Voyager commence.

I strongly recommend watching the TOS Animated series.

It gets a little wacky, but there were some of the best ST episodes in the Animated series.

Hi!

Yes, I'm planning to watch in order including the films, and when I get to the right point I'll check the correct ordering of NextGen/DS9/Voyager episodes to make sure the crossover makes sense.

I was going to avoid the animated series but I may change that based on your recommendation!

Perhaps our peers can start recommending  TOS Animated episodes for you to watch, to speed up the time.

[sounds like a whole new topic 🙂]

As a Treker/Trekie(?) fanatic,

I make my pilgrimage every few years.

Watching ALL of Star Trek in order, paying special attention to the release/air dates.

And there is always everyone's opinion on a 'Machete order'.

i.e "Watch it in this order, minus these episodes"

YES! Looks like there are many posts to make...

And well before they start airing new Start Trek.

UPDATE:

This is from Michael Chabon - Producer of the new ST: Picard series

“We brought in Sir Patrick himself, and he has the kind of master grasp of the character,” he said. “He has been really influential in both helping us understand the character, and also pushing us and challenging us. And I think more than anything — and I don’t think it’s revealing anything for me to say this — he’s really pushing us to try to do something new and different with the character. And that’s why he wants to play it, so that he can play something that honours the character, that’s true to the character. And like I said, he’s a very fierce protector of the character, but at the same time, he wants to see Jean-Luc Picard having experiences, having adventures, and be put in situations we haven’t seen before.”

Michael Chabon, Producer

• 4 weeks later...

Update: More info on the release date

Star Trek: Picard

CBS’s chief creative officer David Nevins revealed the Picard spinoff series debuts late 2019 at the 46th Annual UBS Global Media and Communications Conference.

In 2019, it’s not one Star Trek, it’s two Star Treks. Discovery at the beginning of the year, and Picard will start at the end of the year.

[The Wrap]

• 1 month later...

Another Update:

"Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire,"

Alex Kurtzman, Star Trek Producer/Writer

Kurtman has confirmed that the new series will remain in the current (Roddenberry) cannon, not the new Kelvin timeline.

Read the article below for all of the details, but here it is in a nutshell:

[POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT]  -  This may not even be the correct story...

Romulus is destroyed by a supernova, several years after the Nemesis movie.

Spok's attempts at stopping the incident fail.

Nero goes crazy trying to track down Spok. 

Picard is (or may be) the Ambassador to Romulus at the time.

Picards life and the entire balance of the galaxy, is altered in a massive way...

Read the Hollywood Reporter

And also checkout the

Star Trek: Countdown comic series

I'm getting very excited about this...

I'm off to watch ST:TNG - Unification parts 1 & 2

And then Nemesis again 🙂

Edited by subspatial
potential spoilers...

• 4 months later...