Games or real-life

Soval

As i have said in a previous topic - i find i can't play a game continuously for more than 2 or 3 hours before i get bored or frustrated with dying so much. But my social life's practically non existant anyway so it's not like it ever would make my real life feel inferior ;)

wonder what would happen when virtual reality gets going and would people stay plugged into these machines being fed bio-nutrients so you don't need to be 'unhooked'. i think we would all get stuck in these machines for years until one day we emerge looking like hippies into a world where weeds and trees have replaced our homes and badgers roam with impunity.

i cant however play a computer game for too long before i have to go an stretch my legs and unnumbify my buttocks. i live with both games and real life but if I'm involved in a game then i wanna leave more time to play it or i will spend my day thinking about the power move i just found or where in freg is that key type things.

I enjoy real life like working in the yard, eating out, shopping or seeing movies in a theater with real live people (the kind that wont shut up and wont move out of your view of the screen) but I also enjoy hibernating at home and trying out a cyber life for a while. When I'm not busy, I used to read novels a lot and watch movies for entertainment. I do most of that over on my computer now. My PC is my main entertainment device. Without it, I'd go back to my old ways since they worked fine also. I would have quite a bit of withdrawal pains... ;)

Playing games is simply one of many possible actions one can take in the course of living.  It's not as if it's another 'life' than your own...  it's ALL part of your life. ^^

*agrees with Megalith about having to 'stretch my legs and unnumbify my buttocks' every once in a while. ^^  However, I don't typically think about games when I'm not actively playing unless I'm talking to someone about them... too much stuff to do. ;)

There used to be a time when I prefered staying in and playing video games rather than going out etc. but since I've gained a social life and started going out with friends a lot more when I do get the chance to spend an entire day just sitting around playing video games it gets kinda boring tbh. 2-3 hours is fine, but after that it gets repeptive (unless you're playing with friends).

but glasses should fix that problem

Ever wonder why you're being made to wear glasses? ;)

Well here's a funny story - a friend I know actually got better vision FROM playing games. He started life with a funny occular condition which would've meant wearing glasses the rest of his life but after spending tens of hours playing mario close-up his eyesight improved from continuously focusing on Mario and co. Made a fun conversation with his mum who had been saying "if you sit too close to the TV you'll ruin your eyes".

As far as what I know (from what my creepy optometrist has told me) staring at a computer screen/tv screen doesn't actually *ruin* your eyes per-se, but it increases the fatigue level, which pretty much rises and rises until you take a break, the longer you look at the screen for, the worse your eyes get, but it's temporary. If you spend the entire day staring at a computer screen your eyes will be constantly fatigued and so it will seem as if your eye-sight has degraded permanently. I'd be willing to bet that staring at a screen all day every day would eventually give you astigmatism or something, but when I went to the optometrist he shot down my parents argument of "You play to much computer" by telling me the problem with my eyes is hereditary.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's a funny story - a friend I know actually got better vision FROM playing games. He started life with a funny occular condition which would've meant wearing glasses the rest of his life but after spending tens of hours playing mario close-up his eyesight improved from continuously focusing on Mario and co. Made a fun conversation with his mum who had been saying "if you sit too close to the TV you'll ruin your eyes".

lol

ohhhhh

i will hv to try that lol

gaming helps eyesight

interesting

lol

ohhhhh

i will hv to try that lol

gaming helps eyesight

interesting

QS, if eyesight could be helped* by gaming, you'd have perfect vision. Which is not the case from your spelling :P

*EDIT: lol - i say QS has bad spelling and i couldn't even spell HELPED right (I spelt it helpted) ::)

Gaming does damage your eyes as it relaxes the muscles that are used inside the eye to focus on objects at a distance. If you dont use these muscles they waste away and what your left with is short vision. You must excerise your eyes. Anyone who uses a PC for more than 3 hours a day should go for regular eye tests and by UK law you can make your employer pay for those eye tests if you sit infront of a PC at work.

As for gaming addiction Ive been there. Your right it is an escape from reality........something bad happens in your life you play games to try and forget and dull the pain. It sounds bad but having said I`m sure just sitting there in a chair worrying is not going to do you any good either. If that ever happens I would suggest that you go out and try and forget with friends, have some fun. If you dont have any friends you could always join a local volunteer group as I did and meet some nice and honest people.