Third Stargate series in development

Centurion

Exclusive: Third Stargate series in development

Thursday - December 14, 2006 | by Darren Sumner

Prepare to step through the gate all over again! A third television series in the hit Stargate franchise is now in development, GateWorld has learned.

A production source informs GateWorld that the new series is in the concept phase, and is being actively worked on by the Vancouver creatives behind Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. No concept for the show has yet been revealed.

The third TV series is also not likely to be rushed into production for a 2007 premiere in order to replace SG-1, which takes its final bow with 10 new episodes this spring. Instead, a premiere in 2008 or later is more likely at this point. (Note that, at this time in the fall of 2003, Stargate Atlantis was well into casting, script-writing, and set-building to make a July premiere date.)

Following the success of the 1994 film "Stargate," Stargate SG-1 debuted in 1997, and spun off Stargate Atlantis in 2004. The two shows return to SCI FI Channel in the U.S. with new episodes in April. The spring run of 10 episodes each will mark the series finale of SG-1, and the third season finale of Atlantis.

Stargate Atlantis returns for its fourth season later in 2007.

Meanwhile, SG-1 will continue with two movies, presumably direct-to-DVD, currently aiming for a fall 2007 release.

GateWorld

Now, don't get me wrong, I generally like Stargate, but this sounds like 'milking the cow' (literal translation, I have no idea if it means anything in English). They want to make as much money from the concept as possible in as short amount of time as possible (before people get bored with it, which won't be long if they continue down this road).

Anyway, I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. :)

Seems to me that Stargate is trying to become the new Star Trek, when it comes to milking the franchise cow.

Have to agree. I'm glad they are making more Stargate but it could be hit or miss really. Atlantis was a big hit for me and in my opinion is better than SG-1. However i'm not sure if a new series could do the same...

I am in agreement, Alantis has its great moments and bad moment, but a third series in the stargate franchise is one series to far and would end up like enterprise and being a total flop, already STA in its third season is starting to struggle with decent storylines, how will they cope with a third series as well?

I agree with the previous posts, but, even so, I'm optimistic regarding the new Stargate series. After all, the people behind Stargate have a whole year to come up with something neat. It's not like they're in a rush or something. I just hope they don't continue SG-1 under a different name... That would be a mistake, IMHO. Personally, I'd like to watch something after the disclosure of the Stargate program on Earth.

Yeah, this isn't news - has it not been foretold that this would happen?

They're wasting their time, it's not going to be the new Star Trek. They got ten years out of SG-1 and that's really a LOT more than it deserved.

Come on, Atlantis hasn't added anything new to the premise, just a new galaxy. Technologically superior aliens that treat the scattered humans like cattle... except they're SPACE VAMPIRES.

I do wonder what a third series can really do? I have little faith that it can be anything more than (another) rehash... I mean, if we DON'T have the sarcastic one, the science one, the hard case and the... other one, I'd be surprised.

They should get me in, TV needs a sci-fi writer who wants excessive murder and busty catgirls. Plus, I can promise we'd not have any pointless "Oh, here's a loser village WITH A TERRIBLE SECRET!" episodes. I'm the sleazy bad boy you'd love to hate. Like a young Charlie Sheen.

I really don't know what this new Stargate could be about. Could it be as simple as watching SG-2 instead of SG-1? Or could it be 100 years in the future (although that really would be going into the realms of Star Trek :D)

Everybody always seems to forget infinity (with good reason) i hope that when sg-1 finishes that russia gets the gate back and then starts their own program again, that would be a good show, with thier track record i doubt they'd get past the pilot, lol

I'd expect so. I mean the humans already have Hyperspace technology so i would imagine, in the future, the usefullness of the gate would diminish even more. Different dimentions would work out quite well.

They have done that already with the Obsidian mirror in seasons 1 and 4?. Daniel visited a parallel world which was destroyed, then later another universe came to us through their mirror (Sam had long hair and Apophis had the evil mirrorverse goatee). Then they revisited it recently with the multiple SG teams coming through which was one of them jumping through using the black hole created for the first supergate.

Besides if they changed the show to dimension hopping then they'd have to call it Sliders or Doorways. Oh wait...

Sliders did the same planet, different world thing already. Never kept up with it because with the scottish BBC2 schedule they always replaced it with STV programs and they didn't show season 3 or 4. It was a good show, just a shame I never kept up with it. Sci-fi UK have been showing in the mornings but I always miss it.

Doorways was a TV movie which had a similar premise and plotline but ended up as a one-off (although it might have been the inspiration for Sliders).

The stuff that both did has been done by SG-1 already. They've visited ancient Egyptian, Babylonian, Medievil Christian, villages, towns, cities and even future. Making it the same world in each episode with a slight twist (you were born evil and a girl, you have a striking goatee, you have to wear a truth collar)

I'm just not looking hopeful for a third live-action series which should've been what Ben Browder was fronting instead of replacing Jack O'Neill as the lead man on SG-1 along with half the main cast of the show and still calling it the same thing as the last season. Although the latter half of Atlantis season 3 is looking better it's still average to good stuff, nothing truly though provoking.

When SG-1 finishes it's run they should focus on Atlantis and make a average/good show a great one.

If the creators keep with thier trend of besting themselves it should be good, personally I think that Atlantis > SG-1 > Movie, and if they managed to make it different and better than all those it would be awesome, they have a good record, they should try and keep it  :)

To address the slight tangent - Sliders kind of showed that you get your big bad of (literally) infinite possibilities which, when communicate to the screen become so predictable and prosaic that it's just a waste of time. My disdain for the use of alternate universes is well known though. The problem though, is more that of the medium. I rather enjoy the Marvel comic eXiles but then, that is the kind of concept that would be all but impossible to execute as a live action TV show - cartoon could definitely work though and naturally honourable mention to Pullman for His Dark Materials... while it was a children's book, he managed to get the whole alieness of a different world across... although, that didn't need an alternate universe.

Back to SG-1... I think the idea of the film was great - not exactly original but implemented on a sufficiently epic scale to make it your good ol' summer blockbuster. I suppose it's unfortunate that SG-1 suffered from the inevitable cheapening... remember the big ol' snake helmets? Those didn't last long... presumably because all the people wearing them fell over. Anyway - the idea of using mythological features all went a bit pear shaped when they started getting Go'uald who were supposed to be Celtic gods, which basically pissed all over continuity and the timeline - although by the point we got there, it had kind of lost the whole mythology aspect in all but name. Then you had Atlantis that didn't even bother with that but used a cookie cutter there. Not exactly a great precedent.

Personally - I agree with the sentiment that it would have been best to draw a line under SG-1 at the end of season 8 - I've said as much many times. I shouldn't need to use caps to emphasise the fact that they pretty much wrapped up every single thing in SG-1, more or less.

And naturally, I have to tell everyone that thinks the show wasn't on the slide from the time Jonnas replace Daniel Jackson - you're dreaming.

• 4 weeks later...
Daniel in the lead' date=' interesting...[/quote']

It has been reported' date=' [b']and denied[/b], that Michael Shanks, who plays Daniel Jackson in Stargate SG-1, has been offered the lead in the new series.

So perhaps not ::)

And to be honest, i wouldn't like it if he was the lead character. it would seem more like a revival of SG-1 rather than a new series if he were.

WOW this is going to be awsome! I CAN NOT WAIT! Maybe it will be about a stargate on a ship and about its crew. That would be awsome, then they can name it Enterprise and it would be completely fresh!

This is sad, Atlantis was pushing it in the begining and now 3 series.....common....want us to just give your money to stop? Please?

I love stargate but 3, thats just pushing it.

- Zebin