Torchwood Episode 12 & 13 discussion thread

Guest Mrthumps

Guest Mrthumps

torchtn0sv1.gif

Torchwood Episode 12 & 13 Discussion Thread

As always, the usual rules for this thread apply and don't forget to cast your vote for this weeks episode after you've seen it.

[move]No witty line this week because I can't think of one and no one here cares anyway.[/move]

Im discussing an aired episode(s) so possible spoilers, if you havent seen it yet, ya shouldnt be here LOL

I had to go for great one this one (or should I say two). Which reminds me it was a double bill tonight so ya might want to change the thread to 12 & 13.

After some really lousy earlier episodes the last two totally redeemed it for the show. 'Captain Jack Harkness' was more of an intro for the final episode 'Apocalypse' with the introduction of 'Bilis Manger' the strange man who can walk through eras! And of course it was the opportunity to open the rift and cause chaos for the finale.

The episode had just the right amount of pace to keep me glued to the set, intrigued as to wheteher we were going to finally find out Jack's real name and if any solid connection was going to be made to The Doctor. Who the hell was this Bilis character, they never explained it and we never saw what happened to him after 'Abaddon' was destroyed. He reminded me of the strange man from Half Life & Half Life 2 only a bit more sinister, for a few moments I thought he may have been some kind of Time Lord or Time Agent, perhaps even the Master (still dont bloomin know). Ah well something for S2.

A shame about the speed at which the problem was solved at the end, Jack using his 'life' giving power to stop the 'death' giving Abaddon.

And I also out-guessed that when Gwen kissed him hed come back to life, soooo obvious. (I warned you Id be discussing plot) :)

And boy oh boy, It was so cool to just hear the TARDIS at the end and not even see it and Jack vanish, rescued at last! But for how long as we know hell be needed back for S2 as I cant see the show being anything without him, even though Gwen seems to have been more of the lead character since episode 1.

Quite touching too at the end just before he vanishes, now they all know he cant die (or couldnt) Not sure if he still has immortality since he spent his energy.

At what point did The Doctor pick him up, will tonights episode with Jack tie in with episode 11 of Series 3 of WHO? Im sure well find out later in the year!

Im actually going to give the finale double 10 out of 10 as I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. Weeeeelll, not quite, Im going to change it to 9/10 as I the blatantly gay open mouthed, tongues and all kissing scene in episode 12 was just a little friggin too much thank you very much BBC, I know RTD is gay and quite a few fans are but seriously did we really have to have that thrust upon us. A simple peck would have suifficed with a nice big hug to get the message of love across. Anyway I wont dwell on it, Im not homophobic, a lot fo my friends are gay but I dont really wanna see it n TV or in my DVD collection.

Roll on series 2, and thank you for an ok first season (but you CAN do better next year.....wont you?)

;p... one comment.  The retina scan thing wouldn't work.  Retina scans work by blood flow through the retina, so if Jack was dead at the time of the scan... no blood flow = scan's useless.  Why do all these movies / shows / etc keep DOING that?

Otherwise... these two shows were great.  A great way to finish off the season. ^^

Guest Mrthumps

;p... one comment.  The retina scan thing wouldn't work.  Retina scans work by blood flow through the retina, so if Jack was dead at the time of the scan... no blood flow = scan's useless.  Why do all these movies / shows / etc keep DOING that?

Not many folks are aware of that so I think it's just a case of creative license. Also, remember it's a TV show so it doesn't have to be 100% accurate.

Ep 12 wasn't that special other than setting up the events for 13 and giving us an intro to "Billis" although learning that Jack took his name from someone else that adds another piece to the puzzle.

Ep 13 on the other hand was excellent and it also showed how selfish and self-centered Gwen is, not to mention the rest of the team. When Owen quit/was fired I was thinking that we could see him approached by UNIT or another group to join/head an anti-torchwood group or rival organization. The beast at the end was cool and I was getting a "Shadow of the Colossus" vibe and that Jack would climb up over the creature and start shooting it in it's head with his gun.

Still, great end and the hint right at the end was great.

I'm just wondering when Russell T Davis is going to have the Doctor Who/Torchwood that explains why it is half the population of the world seems to have gone gay for no apparent reason - and must he CONSTANTLY throw it in our face as gratuitously as possible?

Secondly - it's a mystery how Owen maintained his position in Torchwood, let alone 2nd in command, given the fact he's repeatedly shown himself utterly incapable of good judgement, trustworthiness, following orders or even sanity - to be honest, Ianto should just have shot him in the fact a few dozen times and finished the bastard off.

Third - must all drama be highlighted with mass overacting and the emotional music?

Fourth - elementary physiology. A dead person's retina will not read the same as a live person's retina, that's one of the inherent benefits of the technology.

Fifth - this ending clearly owes a lot to Godzilla and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

The first episode was so-so... and the finale felt too aimless, while at the same time being predictable and anti-climactic... OH LOOK, THE GIANT CGI BEASTIE WE FORESHADOWED! Oh, it's dead. In fact, it just disappeared. Then we had MORE emotional underscoring music and the wordless hugs when he (inevitably) came back to life.

Also - anyone notice that the "rift machine" looked suspiciously like the guts of the TARDIS?

The bad guy was pretty cool - hope we see more of him, he was pretty cool. What he said, rather implies he's not a Time Lord but I suppose he could have been having a laugh.

Overall, the finale was probably the best episode of the show but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm not sure what else to say. I don't think I've anything else to add at this time, other than it was OK.

i got nothin much to add everything i was gonna say has already been said. Bilis Manger was a great role and yeah hope we see more of him when he killed Rhys i thought great and in a way was kinda upset that time went backwards as it did but that was the story

episode 12 8/10

episode 13 9/10

like RS said they Can do better lets hope the next series is better than our expectations.

Umm... yeah, he can... he just doesn't -stay- that way.

Maybe, but he got shot in the head. In the first episode of the series he got shot in the head and he was up in, what, 30 seconds? This time it took a smidgen longer, but who knows?  By the time they ret scanned him he may have been alive, but simply unconscious.

It was great to have a double episode as a finale and having them both shown together did improve my rating of them. Yes RTD's gay doctrine is becoming tiresome. I don't mind gay characters, or gay storylines, but they seem more forced on a plot. The question is if they don't add to the plot then what's the point? Yes for decades we've seen heterosexual "love scenes" in films, and with many the same point could be levied, but just because other films/series had scenes that didn't add, shouldn't mean TW needs to redress the scale.

Looking at reviews on other forums, people have said that homosexuality was more open in WWII, as the British armed forces tolerated it because they needed the manpower (one such book on it - warning pictures of naked men's bottoms!). I'm not in a position to comment, though my parents who are pensioners watch it and said it was a taboo subject when they were growing up - men got married and kept any gay relationships clearly hidden as people were shunned. I'm sure this is the opinion believed of many of the population, even if its simply because it "largely disappeared from the public record", simply having the scene without explanation could not rectify it, and most people would simply think its an unbelievable part of the story and spoiling the episode. What really was needed was some explanation (maybe Jack explaining to Tosh after she'd seen two other men that it was tolerated, maybe?). Still, even if it was tolerated, because they needed the numbers, would everyone else have stood around admiring the two kissing. It would have been shocking and appalling to many there and he'd have lost the respect of his men (after all the episode showed that he had been keeping it a secret, by having a girlfriend and initially unsure of capt Jack) who obviously were oblivious to it. I suppose the unseen aftermath was Jack Harkness losing the respect of his men, but gaining it back when he selflessly lays down his life to save that of the men who were now scorning him?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

BBC America is showing them as separate episodes so I get to watch 13 next weekend.

12? hmmm, more smooching(snoggin, kissyface) but at least no one was naked and doing it on the countertops (not that its not fun, :P) and it was nice seeing time travel. I also wondered who the old guy really was and finding out Jack's name is welk... something else, was cool and mysterious. as we find out in WHO, he is also known as the Face Of Boe. His real name has to be something that will reveal part of his story later. anyway, I liked it and can't wait for the finale.  B)

Jack is bisexual (DW, series 27, The Empty Child).

It's a good thing we weren't talking about that particular Jack, then. ^^  The original Jack Harkness was definitely homosexual.

I think Jack is more of a tri-sexual, he'll try anything once.  :o