NiteSciFi Timeline

TFMF

For members old and new, here is a chronological list of events leading up to todays NiteSciFi.com site.

Update: Links to archived web pages have been added. You can now see what the site and forum looked like as it progressed through time. Some archived pages may not be complete (Especially the forum) and may not look fully designed. They may also take a little while to load.

Some very early beginnings. At the start of Season 3 of Enterprise (9/10/2003) : Enterprise is available for download in 350mb format and 80mb format.  NiteShdw finds a compromise in the 110mb/175mb formats.

- Late 2003 NiteShdw installs BNBT software to host the 110/175mb Enterprise encodes. Run on http://tracker.thompson-web.org which still redirects you to the forum today! At this time, there was no forum however...

- June 2004: By this time, less than 100 users were part of NiteShdw's torrent site.

[Archived Web Page - Torrent Site]

- September 2004: Over 700 users were registered on NiteShdw's torrent site.

- September 2004: NiteShdw moved his tracker to a home computer. It had 96mb of RAM and a 128Mhz processor...

- September 2004: With the new tracker, a new address was created. http://niteshdw.dyndns.org replaces http://tracker.thompson-web.org.

- October 2004:  Continued growth of the site - New forums, as well as over 1000 registered users. NiteShdw's tracker was becoming rapidly overloaded... (GLaDio joins)

[Archived Web Page - Torrent Site] [Archived Web Page - Forum]

- November 2004: Around 2500 registered users by this time.

- December 2004: The site had grown immensely by this time, with over 4000 registered users. (TetsuoShima joins)

- January 2005: NiteShdw's fame grew as over 10000 users were now part of the NiteShdw community. Rumours of Enterprise's cancellation begin to mount...(neomaster joins)

- February 2005: Sad news strikes the community as we learn Enterprise is cancelled. Around 14000 users at this point. (TFMF joins)

[Archived Web Page - Torrent Site] (Please note: From this point until much later on, the forum remains restricted to registered users, and so no archived web pages are available on the forum.)

- February 2005: The most famous address is born. www.niteshdw.com is now in use. It still redirects to the forum today...

- March (early) 2005: The possibility of Enterprise season 5 is in the air...16000 registered users... (S0V13T joins)

- March (late) 2005: The site breaches 20000 registered users. (RS Antilles joins)

- April 2005: 250000 registered users with almost 1000 torrents. (c4evap joins)

- (early)May 2005: Over 300000 registered users and almost 1200 torrents. (Tablet join)

- (mid) May 2005: Severe tracker overload forces Nite to move to some new tracker software. 32000 users. (Fenriswolf joins)

- May 2005: It was around this time that 'paranoia' struck the community. Numerous other torrent sites and trackers had been shut down and there was worries and rumours that NiteShdw could also be taken down.

- May 2005: This idea was reinforced as NiteShdw relied on other 'willing' users to host the tracker and site. Frequent downtimes resulted in the forum being bombarded with server problem threads and comments.

- Summer 2005: The Official NiteShdw IRC channel is created (#Startrek), and is still in existence today....albeit, slightly less active...

There is a large gap between June and December 2005 where the tracker simply grows in numbers and paranoia is still very much in the air. All hopes of an Enterprise season 5 were lost, Google ads are introduced to the site which have generated a lot of income for NiteShdw. NiteShdw was all over the net, with his torrents listed on multiple sites.

- November 2005: It is around about this time that X5315 started hosting the tracker and torrent site on his server. (Hilander72 joins)

- December 2005: By this time, there were over 40000 users registered and around 2250 torrents.

A year some people would rather forget...

- January/February 2006: Around this time, the tracker and torrent site were moved to be hosted back in the US.

- February 2006: Well....many already believed it was inevitable, niteshdw.com shut down. The tracker and all torrents were removed. This followed the news listed on numerous news sites and blogs that 'Niteshadow' had been sued by the MPAA. Many other torrent sites were also listed in this announcement.

(added in by S0V13T)

This is also the first instance of NiteShdw appointing an Administrator. S0V13T, being an old hand at 'underground' communities took the helm as the forums soul Administrator while NiteShdw took a couple of steps back to appreciate the gravity of the MPAA lawsuit.

In the span of 6 hours, NiteShdw and S0V13T went and deleted everything off the server that had anything to do with torrents. S0V13T called in some vacation time from work to scour the media for any mention of of the MPAA lawsiut, and spent a ridiculous amount of time deflecting reporters, lawyers, and interviewers, and keeping everyone abreast of what the hell was going on. 

(/added in by S0V13T)

- February 23rd 2006: NiteShdw made this announcment:

Feb 23, 2006

MPAA Files Lawsuits Against BitTorrent and Usenet sites

Today, the MPAA published a press release regarding a new round of lawsuits filed against BitTorrent and Usenet sites.

NiteShdw.com (shown in the press release incorrectly as NiteShadow.com) was one of three BitTorrent sites sued. However, at this time, I have yet to receive any official or unofficial communication from the MPAA or their lawyers.

Regardless, I have voluntarily taken down www.niteshdw.com and tracker.niteshdw.com. These sites will not likely ever return, but I hope to utilize the space in the future.

I will continue to post any news or information about the lawsuit and NiteShdw.com as it comes

- March 2006: NiteShdw's blog replaces the torrent site. This was used to keep users updated on legal proceedings between the MPAA and NiteShdw. The forum continues to run.

- March 2006: Since NiteShdw no longer has a tracker or torrent site, Hosting Space is offered to all users. This offer is still available. Find out more here.

- March 2006: NiteShdw continues to try and make a settlement with the MPAA.

While some of you may be disappointed, or just plain angry, at my decision to settle, I hope you can at least appreciate my reasons.

First, I do not have the funds necessary to fight a prolonged legal battle. NiteShdw.com was never about making money. I wanted a place where science fiction fans could come together and enjoy their favorite shows together by discussing them together. If I am unable to obtain a satisfactory settlement, I always have the option to continue with litigation, even if I have to do so pro se

Second, my first priority is to my family and especially my 8 month old daughter. As a father my priority is to provide for her before anyone else.

- March 2006: With the loss of the tracker and torrent site, new ideas are formed to try and find new uses for the community. NiteShdw Gaming is born. It is still around today and has a fully functional Counter Strike: Source server running. By this time, there were over 45000 users registered.

- March 2006: NiteShdw's talks do not go well. "MPAA unwilling to compromise"

[Archived Web Page - Blog] [Archived Web Page - Forum]

- May 2006: NiteShdw.com becomes NiteSciFi.com. Niteshdw.com still redirects to the new domain.

[Archived Web Page - Forum]

- May/June 2006: NiteSciFi BlackNova Traders is launched.

Spring/Summer/late 2006: The Tracker shut down causes a gradual decrease in activity on the forum. Despite everything that's happened, the site lived on and is beginning to develop as a new community. IRC saw record lows in activity too, with only 8-10 members in the channel it a time. It takes some time before it becomes much more active, like today.

- October 2006: The NiteSciFi Development Project is started. Formed by TetsuoShima and TFMF, we sought to improve the community by thinking up new ideas and features for the site.

- December 2006: After lots of preparation, the NiteSciFi Development team upgrade the forum to new software. This marked a major leap forward for the site as it begins to move on after the years previous events.

- January 2007: NiteSciFi Werewolf is launched! The very popular game stolen invented by TFMF proves to be a welcome addition to the forum.

- February 2007: The NiteSciFi Admin Team is formed. S0V13T, TetsuoShima and TFMF are given administrative control over NiteSciFi.com. This is the first time NiteShdw has given another member permenent control over the forums.

- February 2007: NiteSciFi Werewolf is rebranded 'NiteShire' Werewolf in it's second incarnation run by Megalith.

- February 2007: The Season of Hell begins. The server was hacked.

- February 2007: NiteShdw is forced to buy our hard disk back from our hosting company at a cost of $100. Thanks to some very generous donations, he is able to buy back our data and restore the forum.

- February 2007: Despite being given a fresh hard disk from our hosting company, we decide to move to a new, cheaper hosting company.

- February 2007: Our new host proves cheap, but unreliable. Server downtime and suspensions leave us with a broken community.

- March 2007: Continued downtime and data loss mean posts and topics are delete while our host offers little support.

- April 2007: We move to yet another host, but find there is little difference and downtime still seems to be a problem.

- April 2007: After what seemed like a year of absolute torture (for us anyway :P), we finally moved to a more expensive, but far more reliable host. The host, which we are still on now, has never failed us since. Well maybe once or twice but only for a very short time. ::)

- June 2007: The moderator teams are merged, leaving only 3 different staff groups - makes it nice and simple.

- June 2007: NiteSciFi Hosting is launched!

- June 2007: S0V13T presumed MIA. No word since.

- July 2007: As we expand our services, we launch our new Image Hosting Site.

- August 2007: Megalith is brought on to the team.

- August 2007: Tribal Wars! A new crazy hits the forums... The game, first introduced by QueenSpock, was a massive hit on the forums, with a huge following from the community. The craze died down by September, though 1 or 2 players can still be found playing the game...

- September 2007: Thanks to some fantastic effort from NiteShdw, a new website to replace nitescifi.com is launched. The new SciFi news site allows users to upload their own news stories, and vote on other stories submitted.

Timeline updates to follow...

--------------

Obviously this is still a work in progress and not all details may be 100% accurate. Please PM me if you remember any interesting facts you'd like to add. :)

Update: Using me exceptionally (poor) Excel skills (and a touch of Paint) I have added a graph to the timeline (at the bottom) to show how much the site has grown over the years.

If any of you are able to come up with somthing better, PLEASE send tell me so i can get rid of the current one. I should be able to come up with somthing better 2moro when i'm a bit more awake (3am right now..)

lol i was unfortunate in that i had only just about found my way around the site when the blue meanies of the MP@@ appeared on the scene :(  February 05, 2006. looking over that timeline is an interesting read. [br]Posted on: February 12, 2007, 03:46:40 AM

cant believe that was a year ago

• 2 weeks later...

March 2006: With the loss of the tracker and torrent site, new ideas are formed to try and find new uses for the community. NiteShdw Gaming is born. It is still around today and has a fully functional Counter Strike: Source server running. By this time, there were over 45000 users registered.

oo you should also add

(late) Feb 07 The sever was hacked and we experenced bad luck

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Personally, I find the site WAY to flashy and "busy" for me to feel like even looking here anymore, or visiting so much like I used to.

Besides that, by gawd TMFH, you did a GREAT job developing this timeline!  I am totaly impressed!

Is it true that S0V is still MIA after all this time?

Take care " 'lil buddy!"

Hmmmmm, well I have thought about getting rid of a lot of the junk on the forum and either making a new theme for the forum (Which I have already started), or possibly trying to convert the forum back to its old software.

As for S0V, yeah, he's still MIA. Believe he's at university.

but i can't seem to find the torrents anymore' date=' what happened to them?[/quote']

Oh, they're still out there.