Not What I Expected At All

vystral

I was an active member of these forums a while back, mainly when this new Doctor Who series was first starting out. I had no interest in it back then, thinking it was a little too corny.

My fiance suggested I try it and I cannot stop watching it. Now that I realize the series doesn't take itself completely seriously, I see it in a whole different light. I am very impressed by the series and it is not at all what I expected. Doctor Who has become one of my favorite shows. ;D

Glad youre enjoying it Vystral, I take it your speaking of the new series? Why not take the big plunge and try some classic 'Who' as well, youll be pleasantly surprised, if you keep to the 'not taking itself seriously' approach! Id recommend Pertwee & Tom Baker era to start with though! :)

I've also been busy catching up on the new Doctor this past week and just finished with The Runaway Bride.

I have to admit that some of the episodes are into my liking, like Army of Ghosts/Doomsday & The Bad Wolf arch, although a few episodes were a little silly.

I'm lucky, since BSG will go on break (25 March) and the new Doctor starts the following week (31 March) and might be a great off season replacement. Let's hope the new companion Martha is as great as Rose was (with a little less sobbing). :)

Indeed. Doctor Who is just the perfect show to watch while we wait for more SciFi.

It's probably my favourite show since the new series started, i'm loving every episode ;D

Well most of them anyway ::) And i'd have to agree that it is far different to what i expected it would be like when i first heard a new series was being made. It's entertaining on so many levels and i just can't wait until season 3! :)

Classic Who is different from new stuff. I know people who are into the latest US scifi stuff and watch new who but wrinkle their noses when I suggest classic who.

classic who DVD's are great - especially as they've many eps I've never seen

I'm a fan from the U.S. and I started by watching Tom Baker episodes. We didn't get many other kinds here in my area. The first televised version of Hitchhiker's Guide was on my local public channel. Made me a fan of that also. Hey, I bought the books in a hard back edition.

I grew up watching late Pertwee onward but never really got into watching old classic seriously until VHS started coming out properly in the late '80s so even for a lifetime fan I was finding new stuff from the old and wondering what some stories were talking about until I finally got to see even older stories and made the connection. A good example of what i mean is in Pyramids Of Mars when Sarah dressed up in Victorias dress and she made a joke about 'Albert' wearing it, i never really understood what the scene meant til I eventually watched old Troughton stories with Victoria. So, over time a lot of things start to make sense and before you know it everything falls nicely into place and believe it or not even makes the new series more enjoyable as theres more classic stuff in the new series than you think! Especially with

the new Master episodes coming up

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, it's nice to find something to fill the void left by the current absence of Star Trek!

I thought Trek was something to fill in the void of no 'Who'.  ;)

BTW, apparently 'Gridlock' will see DW re-pass Trek as being the SF TV franchise with the most episodes.

lol this read suffers from the past phenomenum of missing post syndrome... i know i posted here :) The bast thing about who (and some other long running sci-fi shows) is that when you get to the end you can watch it again and find things you didn't realise last time round.

Ive probably watched them all 4 or 5 times now and i still love every doctor, yes even the later ones before the new stuff, Genesis is class to put it simply but it isn't my all time favourite episode, damn what is my all time fav episode... tbh it changes each time i watch them and kind of with which doctor does it for me the last time round i got the troughton bug, i had liked troughton but hadn't loved that era but the cybermen stories especially are genious, the era of course (the pschadelic 60's) meant the plots where weird which i love.

Series 29 (or 3 if you like) is turning out to be the best Doctor Who series Ever imo and with many stories to go i eagerly await each saturday night. I just hope my expectations are justified.

It will yes but not length I should imagine as all treks have been 45 mins where classic Who's were predominantly 23-25 mins long!

But thats just being pedantic :)

Well, yes...

To be really pedantic (  ;D  ), all the Trek shows, with their different titles, etc, should probably be considered separately.

If we go the franchise route & lump them together, then for Who we should add in K9 & Co, Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures.