[Poll] What Web Browser do you use?

This has been asked before, but it might help to know again.

NiteSciFi.com suffers from display issues in Internet Explorer 6 or below, so we recommend using an up-to-date Web Browser.

- Opera

- Firefox

- Internet Explorer 7

Basically, we recommend using any web browser, so long as it's up to date (or not IE6, to be more specific ;D )

But what web browser do you use? What web browser do you hate? Why?

wonder how this has changed... last time round us firefox users had the poll by a huge margin. I still use firefox the web developer toolbar and firebug have proved to be essential pieces of kit for working on various projects(including DeadZone) IE is still playing catchup on the rest of the browsers although IE7 has tried at least to get inline with the w3c standards for net2.

I would say however as a downside to FireFox it will attempt to run scripts with errors in them which it does with no problems at all whereas opera and IE7 wont have it and the entire JavaScript will fail to run. while this is great as a lot of sites on the net are buggy it is bad as it encourages bad practices in programming and tbh isn't upto the w3c standards.

Safari I haven't yet tried but i have heard some good things about in particular its usefulness for constructing widgets and i may look into this in some detail when i get a bit of time for such things.

On my PC right now I have FireFox2, IE7 and Opera9.1 all are good browsers tbh and none have problems on here.

Same here, i tried IE 7 for a few weeks because i got into an arguement with a friend, he said if i were to try out IE 7 for 2 weeks that i'd never use firefox again, and in those 2 weeks i still couldnt get a hold of its tab system, so wrong, i've also used opera....lets just leave it at that, TFMF knows my opinions of it.

IE7 is a good IE6 replacement, and there are sites that only run properly on IE...

(sadly, 2 of them I need to visit regularly)

Opera is good for everything else, it has everything I need.

I tried firefox, back in the 1.0.x days, absolutely hated it (opera wasn't free as it is now back then, at least if you count the ads it wasn't), and switched back to IE6, yes, you heard me, IE6 was better to me than firefox 1.0.x. Never tried it again afterwards, since I didn't feel the need after using opera. Anyway, since a good amount of people use later FF version daily, I'm sure things have improved since back then, but I'm a conservative kind of guy. If I like something, there's little chance of me trying something else that does the same thing.

Opera 9.2 has a built in developer panel (Tools -> Advanced), for those that are interested.

yeah i noticed that one :) not as versatile as firebug but much much much better than the offerings you get with IE lol. 9.2 tho hmmm might need to update again. I see that firefox 3 is due out soon which will like opera and safari pass the Acid2 standards compliance test which MS have said they don't plan on doing at all. Acid2 in case anyone is interested is a test to see how you're browser can cope with errors in code. firefox2 almost passes this test but safari and opera (8.5 upwards) pass with no problems at all, IE7 is hopeless with the resulting image all over the place.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used firefox for about a year or two, and i mostly liked it because of the tabbing system (not all those IE windows in the process bar :D) and those very good extensions (althugh I prefer runnung with a "clean" firefox)

I've always hated IE because of bugs and a nearly non-working popup-ad-blocker. For a time (when I got Vista) I had to run IE7 instead because of some compatibility issues with firefox... trust me, that was the worst internet-surfing two weeks for me... I still can't get over that M$ has been able to mess up the tabbing system (firefox's tab system is more neat and tidy IMO and opens new tabs in the order they are opened in) plus the 64-bit IE7 can't do much flash and shockwave yet

Also, I feel that firefox is more secure than IE.. gives a good extra bit of security over the router firewall... in fact, my dad's computer gets overrun by viruses nearly all the time, while mine dosn't. My dad was an IE user until just recently when his computer had to be reformatted.

God bless Firefox ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...