Dr Who S29 E03 Gridlock

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 3 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome. This thread will be opened immediately after the episode airs (20:25PM GMT).

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: Due to the FA Cup Semi-Finals match this episode is 40 minutes later than usual, also if the match goes into extra time there is a rumour that the episode will be delayed 1 week, keep fingers crossed theres a winner before the final whistle![/glow]

EDIT: 10 mins of play left and its Man Utd 4 - Watford 1 (Gridlock is more than safe) :)

Official Synopsis - The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Martha to New Earth in the year Five Billion and Forty-Three, where the Face of Boe finally reveals his message to the Time Lord; meanwhile, terrifying beasts are lurking beneath the city of New New York - creatures that the Doctor believed he defeated many, many years ago..

Never try to second guess RTD *grin*

Great episode with quite a lot of dynamic fast-paced action, loved that whole car-skipping sequence and the performances from the actors was spot on, really really good stuff.

*thumbsup*

Firm favourite of the 3 so far.

Yeah its not a good idea to try and second guess RTD, but for the last year most of us though the line would be

'Youre Not Alone'.

And in the last few weeks when someone mentioned thered be an old enemy from Troughtons era, a lot of us shouted

'Macra'

, so its fans 2 - RTD -Nil on this one! :)

A very good episode, a little rushed I thought but perhaps that was in anticipation of Boe's secret and the enemy from the past. We didnt see much of the

Macra

and they didnt really pose that much of a threat, Ooooh a few clutching claws but not exactly classic scary.

Again RTD shoving the whole homosexual lifestyle on us with the married old wives (wish hed stop that) and my favourite comedian Ardal O'Hanlan as Tom the cat! Nice touch with the kittens LOL

All in all a story about traffic congestion and multi-person cars being able to use the fast lane as it is in our world. But I think what we really got from this story was the start of the series long 'trap' being laid with the Face Of Boes news. I liked the sneaky peak at the art-deco Dalek from next weeks episode.

8/10

Oh and thatnks to Wayne Rooney & Man Utd for getting through and letting us see the show!

Very exciting stuff. What i just loved about this episode was earlier on when Martha and others in her car when they first heard the sounds from the Macra. It was really spooky with the whole idea of this unknown enemy beneath and i just loved that, expecially when the Doctor looked below and we just couldn't quite see what they were.

Tom the Cat was hilarious and was a great character to add to the story.

A very good episode' date=' a little rushed I thought but perhaps that was in anticipation of Boe's secret and the enemy from the past.[/quote']

Indeed, but it worked out quite well with Boe's secret sort of wrapping up the whole episode.

We didnt see much of the Macra' date=' and they didn't really pose much of a threat[/quote']

Yeah, they weren't really the main threat here, but, like i said earlier, i just loved the whole spooky element they added.

And yes, next week = Daleks. Oh boy am i happy ;D

Ah youre not being fickle enough :) Doesnt usually take long to get used to new Doctors or companions. I thought she was a 'bit' better tonight than in the first two eps, picking up the gun and getting a bit pissed off at being kidnapped but she soon warmed to them. Then when she stood up to the Doctor at the end, or actually that was more of a girly 'strop' of "Im not moving till you tell me!" routine lol

I guess Boe's secret was quite predictable, and if (as they said in the confidential) it was originally planned to be said last season, then I guess they'd been planning to bring back the character to be played by John Simms (wonder if he'll grow a goatee?)

The "two old dears" in the car didn't bother me, and to be honest you now expect RTD to have gay characters in there. Are you expecting never to have gay characters? Old classic who was very asexual, the new incarnation under RTD isn't - that's why you have the Rose-Doctor relationship as more than purely platonic and the Martha-Doctor relationship with martha wondering how interested the doctor is and comments like "rebound" when she finds out he's taking her to the same places he took Rose.

With Torchwood RTD seemed to force the sex element too much in a bid to make it for an "adult" audience, this thankfully isn't replicated with DW, I suppose the argument whether sex should be in the story lines is a different topic.

Overall this was a good episode - coming back to NewNewYork is nice continuity and allows the story to concentrate on one aspect. The whole motorway theme was good. The Macra had very little involvement, I assume it effectively was a nod to the classic series rather than a full reintroduction, so those not knowing their appearance in the Troughton era won't feel they are missing on something. As enemies are often brought back multiple times, then we may see the Macra appear next season??

Don't you think that there are a lot of similarities between Rose and Martha, apart from a similar accent. I guess that's where the "rebound" phase came in, with the doctor finding Martha very similar and is effectively using her as a substitute. Maybe the similarity is on purpose rather than simply moving on to another assistant?

Wow, very very good episode fast paced and old characters coming back the macra where explained is devolving into animals which was interesting. they weren't the main story, the main story evolved around a society addicted to drugs essentially and how the state can molly coddle people too much for there own protection, I know very little on RTD's politics but i did see a swipe at ken levingstone (The Mayor of London who introduced fast lanes in London) in the plot lol.

by far the best episode so far in this series and it looks like its going to get better and better. i didn't spot any references to saxon this week again but i'm sure there where (just i missed them) maybe 50 billion and 53 is too far in the future for Mr, Saxon tho :)

Daleks seem a big theme in this series and with the chance of other timelord/s (i don't think the master however) maybe the doctor can bring back gallifrey, would be a great way to end the series with the Doctor beating the daleks again and restoring the time line. perhaps his wife (Romana) will be involved (it's debateable that she survived as she was believed to be president of Gallifrey at the time of it's demise (how she got out of E-Space is a mystery - maybe K-9 helped)- but the sash of Rassillon has many powers). i am so looking forward to how this plot evolves over this season.

Maybe the other time lord will be a new incarnation of Susan. We never found out her species, did we? And could you really imagine her in the time war?

Susan? Was she not just human? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Susan was alien, at least in the sense that she had a superiour IQ to other kids in the 1960's school she was educated in for 'An unearthly child'. the problem mainly is that doctor who was never envisaged to last as long as it has and lots of things where made up as the stories went along. regeneration was a genius of an idea but until then the doctor was seen as being possibly human which of course was the route taken in the movies where the doctor was human. So it is not impossible for susan to be a timelord.

Another problem due to later stories of Dr Who is that the doctor is referred to as being 1/2 human so susan could be more human than he is or she could be less human if the doctors son/daughter had concieved susan to a timelord.

Susan also i believe managed to leave earth (after staying to be with the man she loved in future dalek free london) and so is quite likely to have returned to gallifrey.

there are several other timelords from the history of doctor who who in theory could have left gallifrey before or during the time war.

There also is the possibilty that boe's statement might mean something completely different like he never travels alone or perhaps he will meet up with his human family :P

Im still betting its the Master, why go the trouble of calling this mysterious politician Mister Saxon, which is in fact an anagram of 'Master No Six', the 6th actor to have played a part of The Master from Delgado onward!

But hell still need a goatee :)

maybe not thought of that Antilles would be good to see the master again but Saxon is also an anagram of Axons so it could equally well be Omega.

the whole thing is certainly causing a stir tho for sure an whoever/whatever it is gonna be a great story imo