Dr Who S3-E04 Daleks In Manhattan (1 of 2)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 4 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome. This thread will be opened immediately before or just after the episode airs (19:25PM GMT).

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is on at a special earlier time of 18:35 PM (GMT) and is Part one of a 2 part adventure.[/glow]

Official Synopsis - In New York 1930 in the midst of the Depression, people are disappearing: the homeless, the poor, the starving and huddled masses. Savage pig creatures hide in the sewers and at the top of the Empire State Building, some of the Doctor's greatest and oldest enemies, the Cult of Skaro, are at work, preparing their most audacious plan yet: the rebuilding of the Dalek empire.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I know you locked this topic until the episode airs, but i just thought i'd say - i can't wait for this episode! Daleks are just too cool ;D

EDIT: Me too, having seen the major spoiler on the cover of my Radio Times Im still looking forward to it immensely, the Daleks in the classic series didnt really seem menacing enough to me (perhaps in the really early days up to Genesis) but the Cult of Skaro really have that bad ass attitude in their attempt at causing as much chaos and trouble for the Doctor as possible. Im hoping that the events they cause will have something to do with the return of The Timelords, probably not but would stil be cool if its all linked somehow as opposed to just having their own story arc - Antilles -

i wont be around to post about this episode as i'm away for a week (will watch the episode tho of course) will post about both episodes at once, and yeah i am looking forward to this 2 parter too :) Exterminate, eradicate, obliterate and then get down to some cool Manhattan Jazz.... Nice ;)

I seriously have to disagree with you there Antilles. For a Dalek story, this was BAD!

It was not exciting, it was not 'edge of the seat' entertainment which i would have expected from a Dalek episode. The whole evolution idea totally ruined the idea of what Daleks are. A "Human-Dalek"? A what now? I like my Daleks the way they are, thanks.

The story was a mess. They were building this modified Empire state building, but we had no idea why and it was kind of ignored by the end so it pretty much became pointless. It will obviously be explained in next weeks episode, but we weren't left with any kind of suspense or "oh what could it be" idea.

This episode made the Daleks look weak. They have gone down the path of Star Trek Voyager and made their most powerful and feared enemy look like Ferengi.

Perhaps i'm just mad that this episode was so dissapointing for a Dalek episode. There were a few nice scenes, but if next weeks doesn't pick up, i dread to think how they can recover.

I have to agree with TFMF here (well appart from the borg comments) The episode was weak, I've been telling TFMF for a while now that if the daleks get overused they will be run into the ground, and what do we have...the 'last 4' daleks in existance we all know there will be more.

Right let me make this clear i have no problem with american accents but i wanted to punch that blonde haired woman several times to shut her up and her boyfreind....he was so inconsistant at the beginning of the ep accent wise, he swaps between english and american by the word.

The only good part was the CGI of new york....beautiful

Aww i forgot martha and the doctor they better not thats all im going to say

3/10

Meh, well I dunno I just enjoyed it, perhaps it was the 'shadow of the Dalek coming round the sewer corner' that sparked some classic feeling for me. I just felt it wasnt hyper-paced and frantic with silly jokes and stupid one liners from the Doctor for a change, he seemed a lot calmer this episode.

I am intrigued as to what theyre using the 'sacrificed' Dalek bumps for on the antennae of the ESB for, I can only imagine its to send out a signal to augment humans into hybrid Daleks, but as always itll get stopped in the end, which is a bit obvious really isnt it, but it would be typically 'Who'

I still really enjoyed it though more than TSC! Oh and it seems Martha is a 'screamer'...did Rose ever scream?

Yeah, the Daleks have really gone downhill here. -_-'... The first thought that came into my mind when that certain guy appeared was "It's the Jagaroth!  He's not green, but it's him!" XD

The Daleks are obviously smoking something if they're giving up those incredibly powerful casings of theirs (or fusing with humans in the first place, for that matter).  It just does NOT make any sense whatsoever.

"WE MUST NERF AND MUTILATE OURSELVES USELESSLY FOR THE GREATER GLORY OF THE DALEKS! OH, BUT FIRST WE WILL BUILD THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING AND MAKE A HORDE OF PIG MEN JUST BECAUSE!  WE ARE SO COOL!  MWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Contrivance Rating: 20 out of 10.

Davros's origins were unknown

Both of them are scientists

Both have eyes on their forehead

He is the creator of the 'new daleks'

Perhaps not actually the Davros, but Tablet and i were discussing and he thought he might be the mark II

Interesting.  I liked the episode, but thought the cliffhanger really was more of a slide down a small mound.

So many good ways to build suspense for ep 2...  Sigh.

The Daleks are obviously smoking something if they're giving up those incredibly powerful casings of theirs (or fusing with humans in the first place, for that matter).  It just does NOT make any sense whatsoever.

I know what you mean GN, but I suspect that like the Daleks from 'Parting of the Ways', the Cult of Skaro has gone somewhat around the bend.

Wondering if this can tie in with the 'Human Factor' from Evil of the Daleks'?

Probably not.

I will go with antilles and agree that it was a highly enjoyable episode, yeah of course there are alot of unanswered questions but thats why it is a 2 parter....in one way it did feel like a old drwho episode....and all the past dalek episodes have been much different in feel in the new series...this one deffo feels like one of the old classics.

I'm in the middle.

On one hand, I loved seeing the Doctor and Martha travel to America for a change, and a 1930's New York is just beautiful, even if it was the Depression-era. It had a very noir feeling, I liked it.

On the other hand, I agree in that they are painting themselves in a corner with the Dalek's. I attest to not seeing older Doctor Who stuff, I know a few bits and pieces but not a lot. But from what I have seen, I would classify Dalek's as the Doctor's greatest enemy. His archnemesis. Why the hell are the "last 4 Daleks" trying to merge with humans?

Wouldn't their talents be better put to use into finding a way to break open the divide between realities and freeing their fellow Daleks from The Void? Somehow I don't see the Supreme Dalek surviving this ordeal, and AFAIK he's the only one that can time-shift, so how are the other 3 gonna get away? They need to keep one around at least, to escape and come back in the future episodes to fight the Doctor.

Hopefully part 2 will be a little better.

its easy to forget yeah daleks are mean soldiers...but they are also genesis in there own right and could also say they are scientists as well, if you watch alot of older daleks episodes you will see that they do also tend to conquer through technology, research and experimenting.

Hmm... not the best Dalek episode, but I prefer it to many Series 2 (28) episodes. Nothing new about Daleks combining with humans - Dalek, Evil of the Daleks, etc. See where you're coming from about Davros, but this could be an ancestor of the Dals.

HEADCRABS! HEADCRABS! OMG HEADCRABS GET YOUR CROWBARS READY MEN!

Ahem... where was I? Oh, yes. I agree with the nerf thing... they were sitting in god damned invincible death machines... there might have been millions of humans hanging around but I don't doubt that the Daleks could pretty much have destroyed all of humanity... I mean, 5 million Cybermen? They'd take them on but somehow humans managing to eke out a living in New York made them think "Yeah, let's shun all this stuff so we can look like Half Life extras".

I thought it was... ok but you rather get the impression that someone thought "huh, the first few episodes were kind of week! Let's stick some Daleks in there!"

*lets loose the trapped Daleks and starts a civil war*

Hah!

I'm pretty much on the sidelines with this episode, they better do something spectacular next week or they've pretty much hamstrung the Daleks!

I enjoyed it, didn't enjoy the Human-Dalek hybrid though.