Favorite Doctor?

tinpusher

I picked Paul McGann becasue for the last 9 years, I've been pretty involved with the 8th doctor, and he's grown on me just a bit...

but it was Peter Davison... one of the most memorable moments of my young teen years was watching Dr Who every saturday afternoon, but watching the change from TB to PD was magical... that was the moment...

What no Peter Cushing? (just kidding)

I voted for Old Willie, just for that scene in An Unearthly child when he was caught with a Rock in his hand by the companions ready to do in the Cavefella just to save some time.....yeah

We live in truely sad times when Sylvestor McCoy gets more votes that Patrick Troughton, sorry but thats just the way I feel.....

I have to say Christopher Eccleston ... I know this sounds a bit strange but not being British I've just discovered Doctor Who. I stayed for a couple of days in London and saw the very first new episode with Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor.

Great!!

I'm trying to dl some more and will maybe change my opinon ... we'll see.

Tom Baker of course. He IS dr who.

Peter Davison was the worst! I remeber when he took over from Tom Baker. I had to turn the show off because he was so hard to watch.

He came on board and the first thing he did was get rid of the Tom Baker sidekick. Like he wanted to remove all trace of Tom Baker from the show. He was never comfortable in the show. He always looked like he was under pressure to be as popular as Tom Baker.

Then they tried to bring in replacements for Tom Baker. Wacky kind of people. No one seemed to understand that wackiness was only a part of Tom Baker. He was, on a very basic level, an extremely likable person. He was also something of a........magician who could make people like him even if they didn't really want to.

The earlier guys I never watched.

Tom Baker, definitely. Really endears you to the character. Very good distinctive voice. Lots of endless fun quirks (like playing with yoyos, seemingly bottomless and useful junk-filled pockets, jelly babies and the versatile scarf good for tripping up foe or a makeshift lasso... hilarious). Unique and likable personality. Good performances on both ends of the scale, drama <-> comedy and all inbetween.

Pertwee seemed to do a good job of establishing The Doctor though from what I've seen.

And I did like Paul McGann's Doctor too.

Didn't 'grow up' with a Doctor by the way. When I was growing up, the show was firmly axed from TV and it's only with the recent revival that I've been able to see the various Doctors in full. Before that I only had seen the two movies (old one with Daleks invading Earth and the 1996 one).

neomaster,

while it is true that McGann appeared as the Dr. in only one filmed episode he did in fact portray the Dr. in many of the Dr. Who audio adventures as well as one animated adventure. Consider this scenario, if you will.

You live on a starnge planet where there are only two kinds of crackers; Saltines, and Ritz.

All of your life you have enjoyed the saltine variety but have never tried the ritz. Then one day someone gives you a ritz and the taste of it almost brings you to your knees. You live the rest of your life never having another opportunity to taste another ritz cracker. Would it be fair to say that just because you only had exposure to the ritz for one brief moment in your life that it can't possibly be your favorite?

I think not.

Think about it. . .

My reply is a little less "crackers" than that!

Tom Baker was, for me at least, the ultimate Doctor. Easily the most eccentric actor to play him, he also had huge presence and a wonderful voice.

Having said that, I have to admit that the one who will stay with me forever is Patrick Troughton. He was the one running the show when I was hiding behind the sofa. Anybody remember the Abominable Snowmen with that silver ball thing that controlled them? At 5 years old I was terrified whenever that music started on Saturday evening and those monsters appeared on the small black and white screen.

grew up watching jhon pertwee and tombaker, they where the best , the first one wasn't bad but was black and white lol, and the secound guy reminded me of Moe from the 3 stoogies, after tom baker I thought they went really down hill, more for a pretty boy look then a actor,that had talent. ohh and E. sladen what a doll:)

I grew up with both jon pertwee and tom baker as WHO, so i like them both, petwee had his own style essentially english. I personally would put him above baker.....but only just.

I was never a die hard WHO fan but this new series has got me well and truely back into it.

i have seen all the doctors, although i have to admit not every single episode. I grew up in the states on tom baker, and therefore love him the most. Basically i think whomever you grew up with becomes your fav. Personally i like them all however my ranking is probably like this

tom baker

Jon Pertwee

William Hartnell

Colin Baker

Patrick Troughton

Sylvester McCoy

Peter Davison

and the last 2 run about even since i havent seen enough to put them anywhere lese in the ranking, although i do wish there had been more of McGann i did like his portrayal, but could have done without the love story ambitions and half human bit