Dr Who S3-E06 - The Lazarus Experiment - 7PM

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 6 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome. This thread will be opened immediately before or just after the episode airs (19:45PM GMT).

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is on at the normal time of 19:00 PM (GMT) Please note next weeks episde '42' will be delayed until the week after due to crappy Eurovision Song Contest, part of the ongoing ratings war adventures![/glow]

Official Synopsis -

The Doctor takes Martha back home to her family to allow her to complete her medical studies. Meanwhile, Martha's sister Tish is working for Professor Lazarus, a 76-year-old scientist who develops a device that alters his DNA and de-ages his entire body. However, trouble arrives in the form of the villainous Lady Thaw, who tries to steal the de-aging device and obtain immortality for herself. But it is soon clear that the kindly Professor Lazarus is more than meets the eye, and human DNA begins to twist into monstrous form. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the Doctor, the wheels of a deadly trap have been set in motion. Will he realise that it's not just one person who's being manipulated?

next ep looks awsome' date='[/quote']

You mean the rest of the series. The preview we saw was for the rest of season 3.

so we now know the identity of the master hmmm

Do we?

Anyway, i loved this episode. It was an exciting and fast paced episode that set the scene for the rest of the series - the mysterious man who told Martha's mum about the Doctor.

Some great effects as well with Lazarus clambering the corridors and jumping about.

Going back to the Myserious Man, i did love that, i love mysteries that span numerous episodes - badwolf was amazing, and i'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Oh and i'm so angry that we have to wait 2 weeks for next weeks episode  >:(

oh this was gr8, should of seen the G/f's 10 year old daughter, she was hiding behind the cushions on the sofa!!

Yeap was easily one of the better ones of this year, even gr8 was the preview of the next episode which shows the return of captain jack...and probably the Master!!

even gr8 was the preview of the next episode which shows the return of captain jack...and probably the Master!!

It wasn't next weeks episode! It was what to expect in the rest of the season! :P

Captain Jack is set to return in episode 11

Yes it was certainly a good episode, different from the first 5. Now it feels like were actually getting somewhere as far as a series arc is concerned, the first 5 stories , now, simply feel like a little joyride for Marthas benefit. It certainly felt more like Dr Who tonight, although it was fast paced I felt it was over very quickly which I suppose is the downside to fast paced episodes.

I liked the mystery too, this strange character telling Marthas mum about the Doctor, trying to sow seeds of doubt about her daughters travelling companion and probably for his own (or his Masters..see what I did :) ) benefit!

From what ive been reading about Mister Saxon, trying not to read to much about it as Id like to keep some things fresh to watch it looks like hes set himself up as some powerful political type, something akin to what the grown Damien Thorn did in The Omen Trilogy, only to be revealed as a great enemy.

In the trailer I thought it was great, or it might just have been me, the drumming of 'The Master's' fingers on the table sure sounded like the beat to the Doctor Who theme, du du du dum, du du du dum! Cool!

i agree great episode what was Saxon's first name? was it Malcolm? i need to watch this one again i think. It sure had the makings of a classic master scenario (claws of axos, planet of fire). maybe the Axons are back and still want the earths energy. more questions than answers in this one imo.

Ok, I'm probably going to get shot, but hey...

I watched my first Dr. Who Episode on Saturday, from 'the official synopsis' above, I figured this was the one.

Anyway, if all Dr. Who is like this, then this will be my first and my last episode I've ever watched. This was real crap, a cheap horror slapstick spin-off. Man this must be the worst tv-episode I've seen in ages for any show. It certainly doesn't qualify as 'authentic' and 'superb' scifi in my book!

Please tell me not all Dr. Who is like this and that I can look forward to better stories and acting...

Anyway, since you all love Dr. Who and you all think this was great, I'll be assuming it's all crap like this, in Dr. Who... The "what's still to come" bit at the end looked quite interesting though, so maybe it isn't... Please, enlighten me... ;D

As for my opinion on this specific episode, in case it wasn't clear yet,... This was horribly bad!

Recommendation: steer clear or you'll be transformed into a brainless zombie without any esthetical feeling whatsoever. You will not live forever, you will not pass go! :P

Well, we do live in a free world and entitled to our opinions of whatever we fancy and youre comments are well founded, from an outsiders point of view, as you clearly seem to be in the world of Dr Who Id say your not far off the mark, its not an episode Id choose anyone to watch if its theire 'first look'.

But as a long standing Whovian myself, almost 40 years worth Id still say it was a rather excellent storyline, especially when theres more happening in the underlying story than meets the eye, not something like yourself Tet would pick up on.

Theres many series' Ive had a 1 episode look at and thought they were absolutely rubbish but everyone else seemed to hark on about so it does happen! :)

Dont let it put you off watching others, but also dont forget its been going a long time, and will carry on going, its the highest rated show on British TV and rightly so! for good reason....just not this weeks reason :)

this wasnt the best episode of the series imo but bearing in mind the relevence of the underlying storyline it was a good episode, the special effects were a lil lacking but then Dr Who is on at 7pm so it can't be too scary (sadly)

as a first episode to watch i imagine i would have been disappointed and confused by it. In many ways the episode was a teaser of whats to come.

Another factor is that your (most likely) not a child, so havent had that 'growing up' with your favourite Doctor which most of us old fans have :)

One thing Ive learned about Doctor Who is you cant just be a casual viewer of it, its a cult show and youve really got to 'get into it' and love it, if that doesnt happen, most people just, sadly, hate it.

Another factor is that your (most likely) not a child, so havent had that 'growing up' with your favourite Doctor which most of us old fans have :)

One thing Ive learned about Doctor Who is you cant just be a casual viewer of it, its a cult show and youve really got to 'get into it' and love it, if that doesnt happen, most people just, sadly, hate it.

Antilles I think you have hit the nail on the head with your view, I to grew up with it back in the Jon Petwee, Tom Baker and davidson era's...whilst liking it I wasnt in to it as I am now!!

Another Fact that worth pointing out about Dr Who is why is it the longest ever running sci-fi series in the world??  If anything since it was re-launched it has had high viewing ratings and it has been aimed at younger people (just go around the shops and you will see merchandising all over the place)

Agreed it wont be everyones cuppa tea but hey thats just the way it goes (I mean I wasnt to keen on Star Trek Enterprise but I still watched it!!)

• 3 weeks later...