Dr Who S3-E11 - 'Utopia'

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 11 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is airing at a slightly later time of 19:10 PM (GMT) [/glow]

utopiaad.jpg

Official Synopsis - As the Doctor and Martha stop to refuel from the Cardiff Rift, an old friend tries to reunite himself with the Doctor and the TARDIS hurtles out of control landing at the end of the universe. There they find themselves on the distant planet Malcassairo, where they find the savage Futurekind ruling the wilderness, while a lonely Professor tries in vain to save the last of the human race.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant! Now were cooking tho! :) Sorry, couldnt resist!

The actual Utopia storyline, absolute garbage, it was simply a vehicle to get The Master back into the story. Once we saw the watch we knew something Time-Lordy would be going on. At first I thought it was that little boy again from Human Nature/Family Of Blood but no, as we saw him as an old man at the war memorial.

The Master seems to be quite an enthusiastically evil guy this time round, from the small parts we saw and the trailers, hes got a nasty evil grin has John Simm. I wasnt expecting a 3 parter finale but looks like were gonna get one!

Nine point five out of Ten, definitely, it would get 10 if he had a goatee and combed back hair! :)

Chan i agree Antilles the Master should have the goatee/black hair :) this was definitely the best episode of the series and next weeks looks like it may even top it. I must say the end of the universe, the one place the time lords don't go, safest place in the universe for someone to hide from the time lords tho.

the storyline ruling out the master well i would give it an 8/10 the Hannibal Lectur futurekind people were cool and the utopia story well that had to be something wrong huh but i don't think we will ever find out if the humans got to this place. however my score for this one is 9.5/10, this series is imo by far the best series of Doctor Who ever written (strong words i know but i really do believe it).

So how does the Doctor get reunited with his tardis now? My guess he fixes Captain Jacks wrist device and the 3 of them travel back to the early 21st century.

Next weeks looks great and John Simms is gonna be so cool as the Master, maybe he will grow the goatee in the future of this regeneration (provided the Doctor doesn't destroy him that is)

I'm going to sit back and digest my own body milk lol

Its gonna be a long wait till next week and hell an even longer wait to the final episode.

Just fantastic.

Well ok, i shall go into a bit more detail then... ::)

I never suspected it was The Master, but i'm really glad it was him.

The sparring between Jack and The Doctor at the start was really quite funny, and i hope we see more in the episodes to come.

Sorry, i can't think of much more to say :D Great ep, very surprising, nice story.

Such a great ep, i was screaming at the tv for the most part

one thing has bothered me though, how did he regenrate? he cant, cant he?

oh my what to give this ep hmmmmm 9/10 only thing that lt this down was that it should have been a 2 parter imo

So how does the Doctor get reunited with his tardis now? My guess he fixes Captain Jacks wrist device and the 3 of them travel back to the early 21st century.

Well, The Master had a TARDIS as well. I remember it being disguised at one point as a Winnebago. The most obvious idea to me would be to have the Doctor locate it. It's probably really close by. I wouldn't dismiss the wrist device idea though. That seems plausible to me as well.

Great episode, although the Futurekind were a bit too "Ghosts of Mars" for me. Looks to be a rousing end the series. Is it too early to say I can't wait for the Christmas Special?[br]Posted on: June 16, 2007, 02:49:20 PM

one thing has bothered me though, how did he regenrate? he cant, cant he?

He was mortally shot, and judging from the seizures he was at the end of his natural human life anyways. I don't see why not all things considered.

But as a timelord the master had used up all of his regenerations, he used the watch so he is no longer human so technically unless he got a new host or a new set or regenerations there is no way he would have survived, i wonder if it was the master that started the time war and he stole the new set of regenerations and escaped to the emd of the universe...hmmmm

I don't think any of that really matters. The new series is more of a reboot than a direct continuation of the old series. A lot of old ideas have been thrown away. Limited regenerations is one of them. I choose to think of this new series as taking place in a parallel universe to the old.

Thats true Im not sure if its been mentioned yet in the new series about how many lives a Time Lord has/can have. Ive never liked the idea of limited lives as it would just give the BBC an excuse to call it a day someway down the line.

Something happened in the 5 Doctors I think that allowed the Master to be given a new set of regenerations but its all a little vague as Ive not really been too bothered about that aspect of it, just glad to see The Master back.

What Im not hoping to see is the typical quick way they seem to just get rid of enemies in the new series', the Daleks (Sec especially) was just dealt with too 'rushed' and I have a feeling the same will happen with The Master, The Doctor will save the day in the end and the kids will go booo at the Master, but deep down, dont the BBC realise that Doctor Who's BEST days were during the Pertwee years when The Master was his arch-nemesis? Ok he popped up just a little too much  back then LOL but hey!

I don't see how they could possibly part with The Master now that he's returned. And as John Simms no less! He'll be back. And back. And back.... Just like The Daleks. It simply isn't "Doctor Who" without the classic enemies and RTD has even said as much during the Confidentials.

Also, who's to say we've seen the last of Dalek Sec? Sec was a super-genius capable of thinking outside the "box". I wouldn't be too suprised if he cloned his consciousness as backup in case the hybrid experiment went awry. 4 Daleks left in the universe depleted to 1. There's no way that can last very long, can it?

That, was brilliant.

I actually liked the Utopia storyline itself. I mean the Professor hears this strange tribal like drum music his whole life right? And the Future Kind are potentially what humans "become", I figured he might suddenly devolve into one of them.

Why did The Master snake The Doctor's hand? So he too can have someway of tracking him ala Captain Jack?

Next week's, should be equally as good. They got no Tardis, no way to find him, Jack's timetravel is busted, oh my.

My question... what about the Master's Tardis?  Something tells me that the Master would have made sure it was somewhere accessible to him.

Anyways, I was actually thinking it was some sort of future Doctor until we heard the voice in the watch.  As for the drumming... it was probably some remnant of the Master buried deep within him, trying to get out.

As for the actor playing the Master... well, I'm not so keen on him in a Master-style role, but he has plenty of time next episode to prove my first impression wrong. ^^

Also... that was NOT a normal regeneration.  Then again, given the Master was running around in a -human- body by the end of the original series, what's he doing now as a Time Lord?  Maybe in desperation during the Time War, the Time Lords gave him a new body and set of regenerations?  He definitely seems like the sort of guy who would do bad things to enemies on the battlefield...  I'm wondering, though, if they'll even bother to explain it.

Anyways, I was actually thinking it was some sort of future Doctor until we heard the voice in the watch.  As for the drumming... it was probably some remnant of the Master buried deep within him, trying to get out.

That's another thing I thought. Once he pulled out the watch I was like "oh snap, it's The Doctor, they're screwed" cause The Doctor isn't supposed to cross his own timelines and such right? Encountering himself and influencing time in such a manner would probably, not be good.

So basically, all Time Lord's have or can create one of these personality-holding pocket watches and become human?