Microsoft will Alter Vista

TFMF

Microsoft has agreed to make changes to its Windows Vista operating system in response to a complaint by Google that a feature of Vista is anticompetitive' date=' lawyers involved in the case said on Tuesday.[/quote']

Not that i care what happens to Vista, but it's good to see a step in the right direction :D

The settlement, reached in recent days by state prosecutors, the Justice Department and Microsoft, averted the prospect of litigation over a complaint by Google that Vista had been designed to frustrate computer users who want to use software other than Microsoft’s to search through files on their hard drives.

Google had made its complaint confidentially as part of the consent decree proceedings set up to monitor Microsoft for any anticompetitive conduct after it settled a landmark antitrust...

READ FULL ARTICAL

;p... given I don't use anything by either Google or Microsoft to find files on my hard drives, I can't say this makes me even in the slightest bit interested. XD

slocate all the way! XD

given I don't even use any windows os anymore, I can't say this makes me even in the slightest bit interested..... :)

lol i search for files manually, its a rare event where i don't know where the file is located on my hard drive, i have mp3's in an mp3 folder, downloaded files in a download folder etc then i open the folder list them alphabetically and voila! find this method is several degrees of magnitude faster than searching with any automatic method

mmmm they may change vista but I ain't interested,

1. its to expensive

2. it hogs to much resources

I got my copies free from microsoft via the college so I'm gonna keep  them lol

besides the customers are all buying vista machines now with 512 of ram :)

I get to charge for more ram :) as well as an hourly fee to tell them it's slow because it's not got enough ram

1. its to expensive

I get to charge for more ram :) as well as an hourly fee to tell them it's slow because it's not got enough ram

bahhh better reason for not buying Vista, damn Ive bought Win98, Win ME, Win XP...and now they want me to pay more...sickening when they give it away in colleges and the rest of us have to work our nutz off for something that is S***E!

• 4 months later...

1. its to expensive

bahhh better reason for not buying Vista, damn Ive bought Win98, Win ME, Win XP...and now they want me to pay more...sickening when they give it away in colleges and the rest of us have to work our nutz off for something that is S***E!

Here is a lighthearted review of Vista I found that fits perfectly:

http://www.theblimp.blip.tv/scripts/flash/showplayer.swf?autostart=true&enablejs=true&feedurl=http://theblimp.blip.tv/rss&file=http://www.theblimp.blip.tv/rss/flash/345491&showplayerpath=http://www.theblimp.blip.tv/scripts/flash/showplayer

Vista - the most expensive way to make 1 gig of RAM UTTERLY useless.

QFT.  RAM's more useful being used caching, or running programs... not being eaten up by a big brick called 'operating system bloat'.  No reasonable operating system should have THAT much overhead.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it pretty much breaks down into:

Vista...

Good if you're a slack jawed simpleton who wants to see real time readouts from the stock market, what the weather is outside and have everything happy and friendly and easy to use... not that anything beyond e-mail or web browsing will be done.

Bad if you value speed, performance or effective use of resources. Do I really need to be able to see what's in a window before opening it? Or a hugely wasteful way to alt-tab through programs?

Microsoft do a great job of evangelising the loathesome programming paradigm that dominates our age. Never bother to fix core functionality, optimise code or fix bugs! Instead, add on new bells and whistles to use up all the power of the newest machines!

Seriously though, you get the impression that MS just go make an OS that's however many million lines of code and then go "huh, it would probably take us a while to get that working right... oh! Let's start on something new where you can smell your desktop!"

• 1 month later...

I think it pretty much breaks down into:

Vista...

Good if you're a slack jawed simpleton who wants to see real time readouts from the stock market, what the weather is outside and have everything happy and friendly and easy to use... not that anything beyond e-mail or web browsing will be done.

Bad if you value speed, performance or effective use of resources. Do I really need to be able to see what's in a window before opening it? Or a hugely wasteful way to alt-tab through programs?

Microsoft do a great job of evangelising the loathesome programming paradigm that dominates our age. Never bother to fix core functionality, optimise code or fix bugs! Instead, add on new bells and whistles to use up all the power of the newest machines!

Seriously though, you get the impression that MS just go make an OS that's however many million lines of code and then go "huh, it would probably take us a while to get that working right... oh! Let's start on something new where you can smell your desktop!"

Good show! Glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with vista. You really said it well, I can only say good, very good.

I won't be buying a new computer anytime soon. Vista is such a bummer. Any OS that makes 1gb RAM useless is a waste of time and money. DOS was popular because it took up so little resources, meaning you got performance for your dollar. With XP that went poof. With Vista we might as well not bother trying to get the biggest and best computer system for our purposes.

I move that Vista no longer be said with a capital V, for it is not worthy of capital letters, and should be henceforth referred to only as vista, in protest of such a crappy OS.

(it's not much, and quite frankly a little silly but really it is such a bad OS)

• 3 weeks later...