Dr Who S3-E13 'Last Of The Time Lords' (FINALE)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 13 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is airing at a slightly later time of 19:05 PM (GMT) [/glow]

lastoftimelords.jpg

Official Synopsis - With the Doctor captured and humanity enslaved, the Master now rules the Earth. As a new Time Lord Empire dawns, it's up to Martha to save the Earth.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAJOR SPOILERS SO BEWARE, Im not hiding all my comments, theres too many!

Holy moses that was a pretty good ending despite some of the slightly silly stuff from the (obviously deranged) Master at the beginning, I thought it was turning into Dr Who - The Musical again, and The Doctor turning into 'Gollum'? WTF was that all about. Still it seemed to work in the end although I thought it way over the top with the Doctor suddenly floating and being invincible and connected to the telepathic network.

A little disappointed at the Toclafane simply being future humans that they all sent to Utopia a few weeks ago and not one of the classic series enemies.

ok, enough of my quibbles, it was a nice fast paced show again, put Martha into the best light Ive seen her all season.

The biggest surprise of all, Jack Harkess IS/WAS/WILL BE The Face Of Boe after all, absolutely brilliant way to end that storyline off, so now we know how and whay the FoB knew all along! And well also know that Jack can finally die (as in Gridlock). The only thing well never know is exactly how long he actually did live.

Bye bye Martha, but I read today that shell be back in the occassional episode next year (not the Xmas special) and Torchwood from time to time!

So alls well that ends well, a brillint brilliant story...Oh but hang on, looks like theyre about to re-write the Titanic history...should be interesting, but the Titanic, Christmas...No, surely not!

Oh one last thing, we all know that the Master isnt dead dont we kids, the evil laugh at the end and 'his companion' finding his ring? yeah...classic stuff!

It was a good end of serises episode, cant actually say it was the best end of series episode as that would have to goto parting of ways at the end of series 1 and rose being lost at end of series 2.

Got to admit I didnt get who where the actual orbs hahaha was a suprise they where the humans and dont believe its the end of the master...as like the cybermen and daleks you cant just write him out so easy!!

Also I  think the thing about the face of Boa shocked me!!

It was nice that the end of time humans were brought back in, a nice plot device and truly wicked (and expected) of the Master.

The Doctor becoming Dobby The House Elf...Hmmm!!Not his finest moment I feel.

But great that the hot blonde bird might become the new Master (Is this Mistress or Madame ??? :D )

I should imagine it is yes, Jack revealed at the end when he was a poster-boy some years ago he was so popular he was called the 'Face Of Boe'. Ill have to watch again to clarify that bit, but it seems to make sense, Jack cannot die or at least can live for a very very long time such as the FoB, and the FoB knew an awful lot about the Doctor and he knew about YANA etc so yes, I think its kinda cool that he turned out to be The face after all! Makes sense too!

Oh, EMBARRASSING DEUS EX! Yeah, this episode was a joke, really.

If it hadn't used the Voyager defence. Actually, no. The whole PRAYER thing? That was embarrassing... Horrible, really. Humans? Well, that wasn't surprising.

Jones leaving - no great loss. She wasn't half as irritating as Rose but still. Not like she can't come back... eh, just a poorly written disappointing bit of a cop out episode.

Oh, EMBARRASSING DEUS EX! Yeah, this episode was a joke, really.

If it hadn't used the Voyager defence. Actually, no. The whole PRAYER thing? That was embarrassing... Horrible, really. Humans? Well, that wasn't surprising.

Jones leaving - no great loss. She wasn't half as irritating as Rose but still. Not like she can't come back... eh, just a poorly written disappointing bit of a cop out episode.

lmao well considering you always moaning about something!! it wasnt that bad..oh well lets see if you could of done better lmao...i think NOT!

i enjoyed the ep

i would give it 8/10

i didn't like teh whole prayer thing or martha leaving - it was just like is she or will she come back you know

in an interview she gave me teh impression that she was going to be a big part in the eps of season 4

good episode the doctor as the dog was quite funny an the gollum thing in a cage hell the master was truelly at his finest. Also it was good that several pieces of canon where referred to the sea devils etc all in all an enjoyable episode.

I did think that the toclafane could be future humans but somehow didn't click that the master went 'back to the future' and created them on utopia. Should have known that the first story wasn't simply a device to get the master back in the show.

Glad the master isn't dead but i doubt his assistant will be the master. More likely he will be re-created from that ring somehow, probably as john simms again.

The Jack as the Face of Boa was a little unexpected but yeah makes so much sense on reflection. Martha was superb in this episode and the concentration of human thought energy thru the psychic forces of the 17 archangel satellites was good and a good way to put across the power of collective thought and not a prayer lol. why some here seen this as a spiritual act like the doctor was bestowed by god with powers thing is beyond me and misses the point completely.

Having said all that it wasn't as good as last weeks episode and left me a lil disappointed tbh so i score it 8/10 the titanic for christmas well worse things have happened at sea ;) the bill to fix the Tardis after that is gonna be a lot i would think. Just hope Kate Winslett wasn't on the front of the ship at that moment (or maybe i wish she was).

Worse thing is its the end of the series :(

I think The Mirror reported that shed be coming back for the odd episode in S4 and also in Torchwood, as quoted by a BBC spokeswoman. I dont really believe everything I read in the Mirror either but theyre not as bad as the Sun! :)

And Megalith, I guess weve got Sarah Jane Adventures to keep us going and of course Torchwood...but itll be Christmas before we know it <GULP>

Whens the Sarah Jane Adventures on? havent seen or heard so much as a whisper about that one. As for Torchwood I hope for the sake of all that is good and true that the 2nd series of this delivers above my expectations (based on series 1) I'm not one of the ones here who slated every episode or most of them, i did enjoy it, but the show has so much potential to be more.

Talk about a hodge podge of a mixed opinion on this one.

On one hand, it had some of the greatest Who moments I've witnessed. The Master dying in The Doctor's arms, humans learning the story of the Doctor, Jack is the Face of Boe, the return of the "Utopia" plot.

On the other hand, it had some of the strangest, most non-explained stuff. The CGI Gollum/Dobby "Doctor" (aging so far ahead, shrinks him into a Yoda like creature?), The Doctor being rejuvenated to his young self via "prayer"..., Martha leaving? (they debunked those rumors and said she'd be his companion for season 30)

Overall, I'd say 8.5/10 or 9/10 give or take. The only thing I really didn't like was the "prayer" thing. I mean yea we get that the humans used the Archangel network in reverse, but how exactly was that able to restore The Doctor to his previous state? Or give him a surplus of energy to deflect laser screwdriver blasts?

Past that, it was definitely good. Tennant really has nailed the "last of his kind" bit down, watching him cradle the 'dead' Master, brilliant.

Oh and Voyage of the Damned? I love the Christmas specials but come on, another "omg the season ends with something suddenly happening or appearing in the Tardis?!?!" Worked fine for last year but again this year?

Yes I know Mav, I forgot to mention that in my previous post, the teaser for the Christmas story ending with the Doctor saying "What? What? What?" Juuust like he did last year! Cant RTD or anyone think of another way to link the series ending to the Christmas special?

I think Jack as The Face of Boe was more meant to be an ironic joke nickname on the part of his friends in his youth. Jack is a very handsome fella, and The Face of Boe is just so damned ugly. This "revelation", if you want to call it that, is more something to get people to talk around the cooler between now and the next series and not meant to be canon. Really, what are the odds that this isn't going to be proven false at some point?

Just hope Kate Winslett wasn't on the front of the ship at that moment (or maybe i wish she was).

I was thinking about a "pretty boy" saying: "I'm on top of the WooooOOOOO..." *SQUISH*. ;)

------------------------

Having saved the last 3 to enjoy a mini marathon, this season finale was a slightly disappointing, considering the great build up in Utopia and all the way through Sound of Drums. It was the combination of highs and lows all mixed up into a single episode, but still the lows made this episode a mere average in the end. I only wish they had used anything else instead of a "prayer".