do we actually have souls??

werecow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean-Luc Picard (Roughly Quoted): While there may not be a heaven, in a universe so vast, I can not fathom that the end of our existance in these four dimensions as the end to my awareness. Perhaps death is only the next step in a progression to a higher state of understanding.

real loose quote, the actual quote is in a Season 2 episode, but I got the idea of it down here.

Only if a dog has the Buddha nature.

Seriously, I can prove we have souls because we have bilateral symmetry and vertical pyramids. If buildings lean, it would be unnatural to have a soul, and the MPs in Canada just don't understand that so they're redefining marriage. Atheists need to thump more Bibles and Christians need to tolerate more lactose. Souls on shoes keep your feet from burning on hellishly hot pavement during a mid-summer afternoon in Phoenix. Without a soul you couldn't rise out of the ashes of the crooked skyscraper that causes colon ripping if inserted into the wrong office. Bill Gates is the Anti-christ and cruises the world in his Linux-powered UFO, trying to institute a one-world currency of flax to bring about the apocalypso dancing at which he would be nerdier than ... well, than anything I can imagine!

I said it. I believe it. And that's that!

Who would Bob Marley bomb?

Fnord!

So having a soul is just another way of saying that you have a personality? I guess I can dig that...

( And I was originally trying to make a joke, not a thread...ah anywho..)

i know, it was just too tempting not to go ahead and split the thread and put the soul discussion out there...umm err i mean out here

Fnord?

elderbear, i bet you know Robert Anton Wilson and are quite familiar with his themes...well no matter ...no response needed ;)

But that is just it...as long as there are different views on existence as is, as dumb or absurd they may be, they themselves are the proof of a "soul" of some kind,i dont like the name soul for it,but for the sake of all you conservatives out there ill call it that ... :cyclops: the sheer infinte capability to learn and aquire knowledge, to retain this knowledge,is avery likely proof (to me) for the immortal "soul", or the likely excuse that just being obliterated into nothing, the lost of all that knowledge i cant endure.... :thinking:

So long as man can breathe, our eyes can see,

so long lives this, and this gives life to thy.

-Picard in ST:TNG 2x06 The Schizoid Man

Well he most likely got it from some british author some care to tell me who wrote that?

I sensed fnord some humor in the topic - or maybe fnord I was just punchy - but I couldn't resist fnord cobbling together some stuff from other threads in an fnord absurd way!

Before one can answer the question about souls, we have to answer the question of whether the mind is the brain, or whether it uses the brain as an interface to the body. My sense of self, my values, my character, my quirks - are they just a collection of wrinkled neurons? Are they an epiphenomenon? Or do they exist beyond my physical body?

Answer me that (esp. with evidence), and I'll be in much better shape to speak intelligently about souls.

Dont worry about it, you;ll find out when you die,

If you've got one great, if you haven't you'll never know

Argueing it back and forwards can prove nothing, I prefer to argue practical things, which are in theory at least resolvable, the soul questions been thrashed out for millenia by theologians and they're still no further forward

I personally believe in a continuation of self after physical death, but I'm not going to waste much time on something that is beyond my power to affect

And please lets not have some born a gainer trying to tell me that flogging myself with Stinging Nettles is gonna affect anything!

One of the worst senarios I can think of is that we eventually find other intelligent life and every tin pot organisation starts sending missionaries to them. In the far future I think interstellar customs should shoot on sight anyone caught trying to export any religion off planet!

I sensed fnord some humor in the topic - or maybe fnord I was just punchy - but I couldn't resist fnord cobbling together some stuff from other threads in an fnord absurd way!

Before one can answer the question about souls, we have to answer the question of whether the mind is the brain, or whether it uses the brain as an interface to the body. My sense of self, my values, my character, my quirks - are they just a collection of wrinkled neurons? Are they an epiphemon? Or do they exist beyond my physical body?

Answer me that (esp. with evidence), and I'll be in much better shape to speak intelligently about souls.

What's an epiphemon?

If Oma started this thread, why does it say werecow did? I think sth isn't right with the forum software. Some bugs are manifesting themselves.

From my experiences, yes I have a soul, and I'll be happy as snot on a napkin to get off this miserable rock and back to those experiences.

i just couldn't resist splitting the thread when you made the post about souls...thought it would bring about some interesting posts/dissertations..which it has...we have a very intelligent bunch of ppl in this forum and it is interesting to see so many diverse opinions being voiced without any flames or roughing each other up...carry on!!!! this is very interesting to read!!!

Oh I don't mind - I just think we need a poll as well.

But of course we need to get the definition of a soul narrowed down

- if we go by Von's definition even I agree to having a soul (which I normally don't). 2 sec - I'll just get Websters Dic.

Oh crap, it's a long one....here goes:

Soul 1 The rational, emotional, and volitional faculties in man, consieved of as forming an entity distinct from, and often existing independently of, his body.

2 Theol. a The divine priciple of life in man. b The moral or spiritual part of man as related to God, considered as surviving death and liable joy or misery in a future state.

3 The emotional faculty of man as distinguished from his intellect: He puts his soul into his acting.

4 Fervor; emotional force; heartiness; vitality; nobleness: His music lacks soul.

5 The animating principle of a thing; an essential or vital element: Justice is the soul of law.

6 The leading figure or inspirerer of a cause, movement, part, etc.: Lee was the soul of the confederacy.

7 A person considered as the embodiment of quality or or attribute: He is the soul of generosity.

8 A living person; a human being: Every soul trembled at the sight.

9 The disembodied spirit of one who has died; a ghost.

10 In Christian Science, Spirit; Deity.

11 Among American blacks: a The awareness of a black African heritage. b A strong and emotional pride and solidarity based on this awareness. c The qualities that arouse such feelings, especially in black culture and art.

12 Soul music.

13 Soul food. --adj. Of or pertaining to soul (def. 11)

# Homophone: sole, [OE sawol]

Edit: But hey, why trust a dictionary that doesn't even contain the word Wanker?

Then I have no soul because my personality is totally dependent of my body. Without my body I wouldn't have my consciousness.

It's just absurd to believe my consciousness would continue to exist outside of my body.

Other animals have just as much consciousness as humans. When you think about it, we're unbelievably controlled by our instincts, all that we are is a complex set of instincts, we just have to realize it...

And this crap about that we have a "choice" when we make decisions... What we choose to do is just a reflection of our instincts, emotions and experiences, just like it is with any other animal.

If you go by Websters than the only part I would agree with is this...

***an entity distinct from, and often existing independently of, his body.****

exactly as it reads.

Other animals have just as much consciousness as humans. When you think about it' date=' we're unbelievably controlled by our instincts, all that we are is a complex set of instincts, we just have to realize it..And this crap about that we have a "choice" when we make decisions... What we choose to do is just a reflection of our instincts, emotions and experiences, just like it is with any other animal.[/quote']

That's so lame!

We each make thousands of choices everyday & most are the result of simple reasoning. It's our capacity to reason which sets us apart from other species.

Example

I should take the dog for a walk today, it's nice outside & I need a break, but I have all this laundry to get done, f**k it, I can do the laundry later it's not going anywhere.

Conclusion

I overwrote my emotions & experience with reason, no instincts involved.

We all make Choices but we use reason to finalize those choices, if we didn't we'd still be like other animals or mindless robots, some could argue we already are, eat sleep work, eat sleep work.

I don't know if you can, but you could make a new poll, make one last post in this thread with a link to the new poll, and lock this thread....

EDIT: By the way we have instincts, we just rely more on experience.

If we didn't have instincts we guys wouldn't be talking to womens chests instead of their faces.