STAR TREK XI Teaser; anyone seen it?

hayden

Because if there are any welds in todays space shuttles they are 'seam welded' which is a very different process often undertaken by automation or robots.

My problem is they are assembling enterprise in the 23rd Century using WW2 production methods.

Not to mention Earth had space docks way before TOS. In ST: Enterprise, both the NX-01 and the NX-02 were built (or, at the very least, assembled) in orbit:

1201194606.jpg

1201194641.jpg

1201194720.jpg

1201194842.jpg

1201194568.jpg

Why is the NCC 1701 being built on the ground with outdated tech? And how they're going to put that baby in orbit? I thought Constitution class vessels weren't capable of atmospheric flight? :-\

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the notion you'd have people sitting on poles doing that over 200 years in the future is idiotic to say the least.

I'm sure someone thought it would look wonderfully retro and almost steam punk but yeah, it just goes to show that the person who came up with the idea probably has the same comprehension of Chinese algebra and modern construction techniques.

And yes, too early to say.

It was said in previous treks (mainly books) that the old connie was so big and advanced that it would have been tough to build such a ship in one go. The more likely process would be that the ship would be constructed in segments in different places and assembled later. That being said the teaser does not show the good ship being built on Earth as the one shown in the teaser could be any planet really. These trek writings also said that the saucer would have been built on the surface of a planet and the stardrive section in orbit. This was also suggested for the construction of the famous Galaxy class in the TNG Technical Manual from so long ago. In Voyager there was some obscure pictures of a Galaxy class ship all disassembled on Mars and being used as a training base.

Alternate timeline? Ouch that sounds like a disaster in the making. Why would old Spock need to seek his younger self to defeat a romulan plan? I see the way they will bring the romulans into this now. Since Spock is on Romulus anyway it will be easier for him to find about about their diabolical plot and put a stop to it. That part would make sense but to mess with the timeline and mess with his younger self, that does not make sense. This does however explain a weaker role for Kirk, old or young.

It's just laziness and populism.

"We want another Star Trek film! Ok... we need to try and woo people but not alienate the fans... Let's go back to the Kirk era! But half the original cast is dead and the other half is almost dead... what should we do?! OHHH SEXY TEEN KIRK ERA CREW!"

It's just laziness and populism.

"We want another Star Trek film! Ok... we need to try and woo people but not alienate the fans... Let's go back to the Kirk era! But half the original cast is dead and the other half is almost dead... what should we do?! OHHH SEXY TEEN KIRK ERA CREW!"

I just threw up in my mouth.

I bet they'll struggle to not toss in stuff like him play a violin... or playing it while Rome burns or something stupid like that.

Actually, that's unlikely. It would mean the Romulan in question wasn't a one dimensional character which is inconceivable.

They'll probably rename Romulus to Rome just for the movie.

Could you imagine what star trek 12 will be like the way this movie is going. It'll be old Chekov's turn to go back in time, team up with his younger self, and fight the next trek villain named after another historical figure, Hannibal perhaps? What other historical names could they use for the next trek villain? Better yet they'll name the next villain Nero too just to milk that old roman name as much as possible. Nero the romulan, nero the vorta, nero the klingon, nero the burning ROM...

Nero fiddled while the ROM burned, eh?

I suppose there's something to be said for using "real" names... because really, do you want a silly Star Trek name like Kazinjawa or something for your lead villain?

Genghis the orion pirate?.. or Saddam the borg king?... the reboot is going to be about propaganda and new enemies to fight.

He's probably ok with that the way the movie is turning out. I think star trek is considered nothing but a mega cashcow by Hollywood, which is unfortunate. The movie may not do well because from what I've read online this film sounds like a repackaging of what we know. Cloverfield has apparently gone down in the ratings since it debuted. I guess the Blair Witch format didn't appeal to people for long.

I hope the new trek movie will have Nimoy's Spock in a prominent role. The idea of the new actors having all the screentime just doesn't appeal to me. I think Nimoy will be recognized as the better actor. If so then he should get more screentime.

• 2 months later...

oh lord I really want this movie to be good, but I know better.

JJ Abrams had better to be ready to feel a lot of hatred from fandom on this one though. Even if it is good there are still people, some of which are here I'm sure, that won't like it because the cast is not shatner, kelley, doohan, etc. I'm going to give this a chance, but for god's sake please let the actual movie be founded in some form of science.

welding in space? really?

oh well, it's too soon, it's just a teaser trailer without any of the actual actors, we'll just have to wait and see.