Dr Who S4E01- Partners In Crime 6:20PM*GMT*

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 1 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at an earlier than usual time of 6:20pm (GMT) [/glow]

Donna searches for the Doctor during an alien emergency in modern day London. And why is the mysterious businesswoman Miss Foster obsessed with aliens? And a substance called Adipose is revealed a fat absorbing matter.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a pretty good episode, I quite enjoyed it. It was very LOL. *grin*

Nothing too spectacular/consequential going on, just a mellow funny episode. I'm still no big fan of Catherine Tate or her character Donna Noble. In fact I quite dislike her, though not to the point that she annoys me. I do like grandpa, hahaha, he was great. :D

The bit about the 2 sonic screwdrivers was weird, I'd never seen anybody but the doctor use one of those, unless you count the laser(was it?)-screwdriver from the master.

It was interesting seeing Rose again, I wonder where that'll lead to... She didn't look very happy.

Thanks for unlockin Tets, just got back a little late but had it on PVR! :)

Average story, I didn't find Mrs Foster at all creepy or funny, the Adipose also were not scary or anything. In fact the only highlight of the episode

was 'MadMartha' getting a mention (joke) and...

Rose showing up/walking through some kind of portal

And did I hear the Shadow Proclamation getting mentioned and where DID she get that sonic pen from? More unexplained things to come for sure :)

Would have been a nice twist/link if Bernard Cribbins (Donna's Gramps) was actually the older version of Tom Campbell, the copper from Dalek Invasion of Earth, but alas no.

Weeehey glad DW is back, loved the new intro tune.

The story wasnt really scary but was funny with both Donna and the Doc almost bumping into each other.

In general I think that Catherine Tate as Donna Noble is gonna be far more interesting this season instead of Boring Sqeeky clean Martha Jones, who I thought was a boring character last season so I am glad she was not in it.

Whee... tons of spoiler buttons showing the same spoiler. ^^

When this episode started, I felt... dread. 

Fat remover?  FAT REMOVER?  You're kidding me, right?  Right? ... and then she dissolves into fatlings that act like gremlins...

"Just like old times!"... umm, both of them. XD

Yet again, the sonic screwdriver is really a magic wand.  I see why they retired it in the old series. ^^'

"What are you, a journalist?"

"Yes!"

"Well... make it up!"

Heh... isn't that the truth (and a pity it is.  Journalism has no integrity anymore, and you can blame network news and pushy egotistical paper owners for THAT.)

"Mad Martha", eh?

Rose's appearance was a deliberate teaser that deserves that name.  Was there any point to it?  What was she actually THERE for?  Is she just going to waft in and make pouty faces throughout the season until she reappears quasi-permanently?

Yeah, I prefer more serious Doctor Who epsiodes.  I'm biased.  I admit it. ^^'

Why do we have these buttons when spoilers are standard operation in these threads, anyways? :/

Very much enjoyed the episode, wasn't the best but was an adequate season opener.

Tate was better than I expected and it appears she's lost some weight.

Interesting to see Rose first off and then she disappeared/faded away.

Seems sonic devices are getting popular, the sonic screwdriver, Jacks sonic blaster, Sarah's sonic lipstick and now this sonic pen.

Antilles, I caught the 'Mad Martha' reference also, he must be geeked that he got an honorable mention. B)

"O M G" does not quite cover it, I'm afraid.

It was an excellent episode, filled with surprises, humour and action. I really loved it, and it's a great start to the 4th series. At first, I was a bit worried with Donna being the companion, but I think she'll work out alright.

I did feel that they overused the Sonic screwdriver here, yet again showing how if you point it at a chair, you can turn it into a warp core. :D

But yep, I was very happy with this episode and..... "her" very short appearence in the episode was so worth it! :D

I really, truly want to see Catherine Tate run over by a steamroller.

RTD seems immensely smug about bringing her back, probably because he's well aware that it doesn't matter what he does people will fawn over him.

The comedy was so facile and predictable, it doesn't warrant the description. Oh the "hilarity" and really... this was the least scary episode of Dr. Who ever... the aliens were cute. Just lacklustre, bland and prosaic. Maybe Billy Piper will kill Tate. That would be nice.

I'd agree this episode was probably meant to be more funny than scary (Because it wasn't scary at all). But those aliens were cute....tiny cute little blob things!

its also easy to forget that DW is also aimed at younger viewers as well.

I don't know, I think the show has become a lot less scary... Partly because of the move to the 45 minute single episode format. Back in the glory days of Pertwee and Baker, you'd have your 20 minutes and then a cliffhanger... I remember hiding behind the sofa when Sylvester McCoy was on... that could have been a combination of fear at the god's of Ragnarok and his god awful man perm though.

Anyway, it has always been a family show - I think that RTD has sough to make it watchable by the under 5s though. His run on Dr. Who CANNOT end soon enough - ditto Tate.

Bernard Cribbins was the best thing about that episode, also the shout out to Mad Martha...yes...very interesting that.

It's simple alliteration, is all. I don't see how it's a shout out to anybody specifically, especially to a known copyright infringer. Martha was last season's companion and "mad" is a common word for "insane". I chalk it up to pure coincidence.