Writer Reveals Trek Details

b33znutz

I found this article while cruzin and thought I'd pass it on.

(I searched the forums, but didn't find this one, so I hope this isn't a dupe post!)

Scifi.com

Writer Reveals Trek Details

Roberto Orci, co-writer of director J.J. Abram's highly anticipated Star Trek movie, told SCI FI Wire that the tightly guarded story for the upcoming franchise reboot depends heavily on the appearance of original series star Leonard Nimoy.

Orci (Transformers) added that the movie will explore Trek history that hasn't been mined before and confirmed that the story will take place before the events of the original series.

"There were many, many elements of the story that we had talked about just theoretically if ever Star Trek were to come back," Orci said in an interview in November. "There was lots of stuff we wanted to do, and that was a blessing. Normally you don't have that much investment and research for a project you get hired to do. If you are a fan of [classic] Star Trek, there is a lot of unexplored history. With the original series, there was so much that could have come before it. It felt like it has been The Next Generation and The Next, Next Generation for so long, it seemed like a fresh thing to go back to the source and to go back to what happened before it."

The crux of the screenplay involves the appearance of Nimoy in his iconic role as Spock. "I think a lot of people were speculating that we must have had multiple ideas [for the script]," Orci said. "The truth is that we took a gigantic gamble in terms of the movie we wanted to do, and it was essential that we had Nimoy. Frankly, I didn't understand any other way to do it. We didn't have a Plan B. I think that would have shown that we didn't have a true, singular vision of what we wanted to do, so it was essential for us to get Nimoy. It was a gigantic gamble, and I can't even believe that J.J. supported that kind of a gamble, but I think he understood it was the way to do it and a way to get the blessing for Star Trek, to show there is continuity for the spirit of what it was before. So when Nimoy said yes, not only as a fan was it a relief--if that didn't work, I don't know where we would be!"

Orci, who previously tackled a beloved franchise with Transformers (which he co-wrote with partner Alex Kurtzman), said that adapting Trek was even harder because of the dedicated fan base watching every move.

"The dangers are that now you are opening up yourself to the fact that the fans know what you know about the characters," Orci said. "They have their own ideas about what should be done and what is right for the franchise. So the goal with this movie is twofold. One is to make sure that the fans--who have been the stewards of the continuity and who are some of the most savvy and intelligent fans of any franchise ever--that they be satisfied with anything that has the name Star Trek on it. But, more importantly, the goal is really to introduce casual fans and people who don't know Star Trek at all to this universe and to connect it to today. ... The goal of Star Trek ... is that if you don't like sci-fi or know Star Trek, this will bring you into the world." Star Trek opens on Christmas Day 2008.

--Tara DiLullo Bennett 12/24/07

Scifi.com

Just noticed this post marked my 45th post, therefore promoting me to Petty Officer 3rd Class. Just thought I'd mark the occasion.  :P

Wow... that really couldn't have set more alarm bells without the use of the word "reimagining".

It sounds like they're saying they'll do what they want and dumb it down enough for the person who goes "ooo, explosions!"

Wow... that really couldn't have set more alarm bells without the use of the word "reimagining".

It sounds like they're saying they'll do what they want and dumb it down enough for the person who goes "ooo, explosions!"

i have heard that it is the first star trek to be "for everyone" not just us....

OMG. I hope they don't screw this up. They can do a lot with star fleet before TOS. I mean if the writers weren't dopes Enterprise could have had promise. I think it's good to go and set up some pre-story. But a re-imagining of star trek scares me. I don't think that this movie is going to bring many new people into the franchise... I just hope it's better than Nemesis.

What's with the Spock fixation anyway? Surely it's more about the dynamic between Spock/Bones/Kirk than the individual characters.

So very true!

Ah, I can see it now -

Spock rocking in his rocking chair. Smoking some type of Vulcan weed. Staring off into space whilst reminiscing with some cadet he's taken a fancy to...

Gawd save us all!

What's with the Spock fixation anyway? Surely it's more about the dynamic between Spock/Bones/Kirk than the individual characters.

So very true!

Ah, I can see it now -

Spock rocking in his rocking chair. Smoking some type of Vulcan weed. Staring off into space whilst reminiscing with some cadet he's taken a fancy to...

Gawd save us all!

thats priceless! lol!

you know, spocs skin was actually a greenish colour! u just couldnt tell due to [old] technology!

You know, all they have to do to make a great script is find a massive Trek geek (preferably who still lives in his mothers basement) and ask them to go over the script and give insight.

I know one of those guys. :-x

You know, all they have to do to make a great script is find a massive Trek geek (preferably who still lives in his mothers basement) and ask them to go over the script and give insight.

Did you look in the Mirror when you wrote that?

Cute! :p

But alas no, I actually know someone like that, I went to school with them. (20yrs ago)

I've actually used them as an example to my son of "what's not going to happen in this house".  ;D

A contemporary Trekkie would make a terrible script. If they asked me, I would have to turn them down flat, even though I like even the Star Treks that a lot of people hate.

In response to the admiral's comment about the series being about the triumvirate of Spock, Bones, and McCoy - it still might be, with the young actors. It's kinda hard to use the elder performers in the same sense, seeing as one of them is dead. And they can't allude to McCoy's passing because, technically, he's lives to be at least 137.

I will applaud the film IF, I hear reviews after the fact from nonTrekkies that it was "understandable" or "pretty good", and at least one comment from a Trekker that they "didn't hate it". One has to start somewhere in opening a rather exculsivist franchise to a broad audience.

Cute! :p

But alas no, I actually know someone like that, I went to school with them. (20yrs ago)

I've actually used them as an example to my son of "what's not going to happen in this house".  ;D

Well that's good... We don't need more ppl living with their moms when they're 50.

Well that's good... We don't need more ppl living with their moms when they're 50.

50?!? I've got quite a few years before 50.

Do I sound/type/act like I'm 50? :'(

(I've always been told I was wise beyond my years, but this is bad.)

I find it difficult to believe that one would live with their mother until they were in their 50s. Perhaps, though, that's what makes some people appear to be in their 50s: because they're still with Mom.

Wait...what was the subject? Oh yeah...Writer Reveals Trek Details. I don't care what the movie's like, I'll love it just like I love all the other StarTrek movies ever made (although I still have a hard time staying awake during "StarTrek: The Motion Picture").