XP Service Pack 3 Officially launched

Antilles

Has anyone been brave enough to install this yet? With my new setup i figured Id be ok but after installing it my onboard sound (no new card yet) refused to be recognised. I scoured some forums and a lot of people have been having problems with it, particularly a constant rebooting problem, thankfully I didnt suffer from that.

I didnt hang around to see what other problems it had caused me, as I didnt have sound (and no amount of trying other drivers helped) I had to uninstall the pack, but at least it gives you the option to uninstall it.

Theres no harm in trying it really but be aware it may cause more problems than fixes.

BTW My new setup which I built myself is:

My old ATX tower...still good for it :)

ECS 6100SM-M2 Motherboard

AMD AThlon 5000+ Dual Core AM2 2.36Ghz

1 GB DDR2 PC5300

GeForce 8600 GT 1GB

Not bad for just over £200 ($390) in the Uk thats a reasonable price for a mid-range system, I say mid range coz its not THE best CPU or GFX but good for price.

The onboard 6.1 sound is amazing, not in a hurry to get a new card yet but I do believe a hardware card takes pressure off the CPU so i will get one eventually. Any recommends?

Also as Ive only 2 slots for RAM I guess a 2GB stick will bump me up to 3 then get another 2 to take me to 4 and sell the 1GB.

It plays Crysis with ease as medium to high settings and it plays Oblivion on everything up full which is all I was initially interested in.

As for Crysis, I was so looking forward to that game but even on easy mode the AI players are just so frickin hard to go down, I pumped a full round (and more) into most of them and very rarely they go down, head shots or not, and these guys were just grunts early on in the game, no nanosuits or anything. But once I got to the level where some AI had nanosuits i was screaming for a god mode cheat, but I hate those.

Haven't noticed any change in speed myself.

I'm not usually one to upgrade fast, I prefer to wait and see if it really does what it's supposed to do, I clicked the button anyway (I was tired) and decided to let it run its course.

Installation went fine (took quite long tho, a lot of backupping going on, I think the SP makes multiple redundant backups), no problem rebooting, no idea if the sound still works, since in that pc, I don't have any speakers plugged in.

From what I heard, most of the problems were with AMD processor pc's and nvidia chipset motherboards. Some minor problems with intel, but they are very easily solved. Good ol' standard intel atw is usuallly most stable anyway, probably since they control over 80% of the market, most testing is done on that platform.

There was no noticable speed difference btw, if there is one, it's small enough that it's not perceptible, not on a computer that's less than 1 year old at least.