Was TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise" too dark and violent for 1990 era TV?

bbbb

Long topic title, I apologize but it makes it such that I do not really need to repeat it. I would be interested in hearing your comments/opinions about this famous TNG episode.

Reading on Memory Alpha, the writers for this episode envisioned a much more gory battle scene where many more characters other than Riker die. Included was the decapitation of Wesley Crusher and the electrocution of Data. I wonder what they planned for La Forge and Dr Crusher? Or maybe have Worf as the Klingon Commander?

Having read the relevant article, I think "Time and budgetary constraints put an end to the much more gruesome climactic battle sequence that was originally envisaged in the script." answers the question if you mean "did they cut because it was too shocking?".

And no in general, the final cut or otherwise. A decapitation may have been a BIT much but to be honest, it was a break from the unremitting optimism of regular Trek.

Included was the decapitation of Wesley Crusher

Aside from boosting ratings, this would be way too far, and isn't what Trek should be about. I suppose Yesterday's Enterprise was a bit dark in some ways, though I never thought of it that way.

Is that episode like a mirror mirror episode?

No. It's an altered time line story not a parallel universe story.

A Klingon colony is attacked by Romulans. A federation ship is nearby and helps defend the colony. The ship is destroyed. This brings the Federation and Klingon Empire closer as friends. This story is what happens when that ship is accidentally jumped into the future before helping the Klingons. The time line gets dark as both empires and the federation try to kill each other and the federation is losing. Only chance is getting that ship to go back in time and defend that colony. Tasha Yar goes back also to help maintain the ship. She gets captured as we learn later when her daughter shows up in another episode as a Romulan spy.

I think that decapitating Wesley Crusher would be appropriate television for Christmas morning.

Whoa... That's a little harsh

maybe, but honestly, if there ever was a bitch, wesley took the cake, and ate it too!

I think that decapitating Wesley Crusher would be appropriate television for Christmas morning.

Whoa... That's a little harsh

maybe, but honestly, if there ever was a bi##h, wesley took the cake, and ate it too!

I agree with you... But I don't think he took any cake... Just a LITTLE something from Jordi

A decapitation may have been a BIT much but to be honest, it was a break from the unremitting optimism of regular Trek.

Why not? They had no problem melting and exploding one …

tng_conspiracy.jpg

… in the first season, no less! Point of interest: That was censored for German TV. Rightfully so, I might add.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be youth scared silly.

I wonder what happened to all those who hated Wesley Crusher? I thought they would have loved to hear the plot concept I referred to above.

I myself did find the episode dark for TNG but as you have said above, there was worse. This does not mean the episodes were too dark for TNG but just that they were different from the norm. That was one thing I liked about the show was that it could have gone and did go in many different directions while remaining consistent and overall optimistic about the future.