Dr Who S4E10 Midnight

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 10 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 7:10pm (GMT +1) [/glow]

Synopsis:

On the planet Midnight, Donna Noble goes sunbathing while the Doctor boards a shuttle bus to the Sapphire Waterfall. However, something dangerous is going with him, signalling its presence with its constant knocking on the side of the bus.

Well that was...different. A budget episode? Didnt spend anything on special effects, all set in one small room really.

Story wise, it kept me guessing all the way through, played with my mind, frustrated me, and then it ended, thank goodness.

Definitely one for the bin LOL

I still enjoyed though just for the experience. Oh and next weeks trailer YAY Rose is back. And she appeared on the monitor again, briefly.

About the only highlight of this was seeing rose pictured on the monitor and next weeks trailer, other than that it was appalling, almost as lame and crap as the episode of Peter Kay a couple of years ago.

If this is only what RTD can come up with then I am only to pleased to see the end of this shite season, all the good work he has done over the first 3 season could mean nothing after this completely appallingly shit season and this episode was sheer proof that RTD is doing the right thing and LEAVING![br]Posted on: June 14, 2008, 09:18:41 AM

I'll be posting my opinions on my blog:

http://flicky1991.wordpress.com

lol you thought this was a great episode ..........sorry I am in stitches of laughter lol

Ah, good. "Micropetrol"? That sounds stupid but then so was the front of the pod getting blown off and the door opening and being fine... and the guy going "THIS IS CAST IRON!" Uh... yes, that well known futuristic metal.

I suppose there was no Donna but it was pretty boring... clearly trying to contrast the jovial relationship between people when the going was good between how they acted in a crisis - which was... remarkably irritating. All the shouting etc. and ZOMG SHE IS REPEATING THINGS! Lammmmmme.

Ill conceived, poorly executed, badly acted (VOLUME = DRAMAZ!)... and we didn't even see the Sapphire Waterfall.

heheh like I said to my family at the time when they were dragging the Doctor towards the hatch "he gets chucked out, door slams, credits roll, end of the series forever!" lol :)

Not having Donna in it (hardly) was a definite bonus in my book. I think the thrust of the episode was that however high-tech and fancy humans get, they're still a bunch of panicky suspicious and superstitious fools in a crisis, and ready to gang up in a witch-hunt at the slightest provocation. "Saved by the Hostess" wasn't a great ending but probably the best one open to the plot at the time.

I think it could have been improved with slightly sharper camera work and editing/production. The actors were ok-ish, but playing opposite Tennant is going to make anyone look poor!

What the hell was with 'micropetrol'!  Petroleum is petroleum... unless, despite the name, micropetrol has nothing to do with petroleum.  I mean, technically -gasoline- is micropetrol, as it typically has shorter hydrocarbon chains than raw rock oil... ::)  Saying micropetrol is like saying microelectricity,  or microwater.

Anyways, it wasn't a terrible episode.  I think that the alien itself had something to do with their actions, because it takes a little more than a half hour for people to degenerate into murderous savages (unless the alien was doing some mental manipulation - if it can dominate the Doctor like that, what chance do the humans have?)

If that 'exotronic' light is as bloody damaging as they suggest, why wasn't the hostess flash fried when the door opened?  Air seals != radiation seals. :/

The characters acted like on / off switches, toggling between normal and hysterically crazy / homicidal.  >_<

Bit of the Avery Brooks school of acting going on, definitely...

And I wouldn't even bother trying to think about the utter nonsense anti-technobabble RTD put in this episode. It's enough to make Voyager's BS seem like a tour de force in Quantum Mechanics... although, the difference is Doctor Who never really cares about the rubbish... Star Trek tries.

Was this a terrible episode? yes yes yes, even if i kept my gob shut both my other half, her 11 year old daughter and 17 year old son stated it really poor as well as myself.

I like Dr Who as much as anyone else....BUT you also have to open your eyes to when a episode was bad.....and this was not just bad it was terrible...the story was very poor, it was chessy as hell and simply it should of never been screened, damn I could of written that story and directed it.....and the ending was so lame its not even worth talking about

LOLZ I recall setting a challenge to everyone during the airing of the last series, regarding "If you think you can do better, then show us". I even started the story off. Nobody responded.....? Love to hear the plotlines though (cheesy/chessy though they might be!) from some fellow enthusiasts, if they turn out good let's send them to the BBC to see what they can do with them.

PS no "Rose is standing there naked, stroking Martha" lines, you know that it'll never happen despite any amount of pleading :D

I did like the feel of this episode. Considering this was a filler, low-budget episode, it was very good. Being in the same room the whole time was great, and you got to know the characters (Even if they were all idiots :P )

It was also nice having the Doctor on his own without Donna, it meant no one could defend him when he was being threatened, and did sort of remind us that he's not invulnerable - I did sort of wonder if the Doctor would get thrown out.

Can't wait for next weeks ep. :)

"Midnight" drove me crazy! I wanted to thrash everybody in that room with the exceptions of Dee Dee and Jethro, who, although a little wishy-washy and brow-beaten at times, had solid heads on their shoulders.

I watched the "Confidential" afterward and was totally amazed by the amount of work the sound department staffers went through to synchronize all the dialogue.

If not for my espousal unit sitting next to me watching this one, I felt compelled to throw something at my t.v. screen, particularly at Val Cane. What an annoying woman!

Actually, I missed Donna in this one. She's so outspoken about the "rights" of sentient beings, it would have been interesting to hear her "take" on the situation. Do you think she would have turned into a panicky sheep like her co-inhabitants? Maybe SHE would have grabbed Sky and hurled the both of them out the door, anything to save the Doctor.

• TFMF unpinned this topic