The BBC is going for the 'new' internet medium!

TetsuoShima

call me cynical if you like but I think the "selected" bit in selected programs might be the kicker

wall to wall eastenders and reality programs!

WTF I signed up anyway, I live in hope, hey I'm a cynical optomist or is that a optomistic cynic?

It'll be something minor knowing the BBC. They do it with radio shows, but then BBC radio is usually good (once you avoid Radio 1).

Just look at their digital service already. It's a joke and a waste. I imagine they'll only make downloads of shows no one wants. Like mcant said, eastenders and hom improvement tosh.

Then again, that's pretty much all the BBC show now.

I know for certain they won't allow Dr Who to be on there. I'd imagine it's the only thing the internet community would actually want to pirate.

I'm not optimistic. BBC are a joke.

If they're using IP locators to figure if you're eligible, will security/IP Masking software be able to convince the Beeb we're in the UK???

Anyone got a preemptive solution to overcoming location? Me want BBC...

Lmao yeah pay the TV license fee we have to for just owning a TV in the UK (by law).

I take it the American TV channels have not tried this yet?

• 5 months later...
Anyone got a preemptive solution to overcoming location? Me want BBC...

Lmao yeah pay the TV license fee we have to for just owning a TV in the UK (by law).

You don't have to have a licence for just owning a TV. Only for viewing/recording any TV programs.

Of course, the TV licensing gestapo will often tell you otherwise. And they're looking more and more like the gestapo with every threatening advertisement.

• 2 months later...
You don't have to pay/have a licence for just owning a TV. Only for viewing/recording programs that are broadcast from within the UK (including Sat TV uplinked from UK).

Abolutely, definately and utterly NOT true... if you watch ANYTHING via television you have to pay, it's already been tested in the courts.. A guy had no ariel, but had a dvd player and only watched rented and owned DVDs and still had to pay the fee!

EDIT: As for the DRM, what to stop you choosing your dvd ram as the save path for downloading? that way it doesn't get registered on your HD and the disc can then be copied at any time?

OK, it is now required for any TV broadcast signal, regardless of where it originates from, or whatever means it's transmitted by (including the internet if it's a streaming of a live broadcast). It seems that they changed the law in 2004. Sorry my bad (previous post has been edited for factual accuracy).

However, you do not need one for using the equipment for purposes that do not involve any kind of TV broadcast. Therefore, that bloke should not have been convicted if that was all he was doing. There are plenty of cases where people have been wrongly convicted of things.

It is still not true that you require one just for owning or using a TV/VCR/DVDR, provided that using one does not involve any live TV broadcast signal or a recording of one.

Do I need a licence?

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

The exact wording from the TV licensing site.

Of course - it's all very well saying you only use it for rented material but it generally seems that the assumption is if you own a TV, guilty until proven innocen.

Really though, it's a bit of a joke. The amount of money they put into advertising campaigns, detection vans etc. could be far better spent. They're talking about changing the fee to something based on computer ownership.

Quite frankly why they don't just make it a regular tax and allow people to claim it back if they don't use it is beyond me.

It is a joke but it comes down to simple financial maths, how many don't have a licence, how many of those who are using TV illegally and how many they'll sucessfully nail out of those versus how much it costs them to run the whole catch 'em operation.

I used to be in favour of it being scrapped but I changed my opinion on it a while back, since it would impact quite significantly on other channels. I really doubt making it a normal tax would work since far too many would opt out and reclaim it. The better option would be to make it a very small sales tax on any new equipment that is capable of receiving a TV broadcast, i.e. it has some sort of TV tuner in it (including new imported TV goods). That way no-one could escape it, the payment would not be noticable and there would be no need for the TV gestapo. Only problem is that it still wouldn't cover the £100+ annual fee so they would still have to find much additional funding elsewhere. They could, instead, charge TV goods manufacturers a licence for producing/selling the goods in UK but that too has it's own problems.