The TARDIS & TARDIS Technology (Merged)

Fenriswolf

Yeah I have had a theory that Fenric might well be involved with Bad Wolf, would be cool if it was.

And yep. I love the Liberator as much as I do the TARDIS, the flight deck was way before its time and so cool.

Thanks for the link to the manual, grabbed and downloaded!

If I manage to get one built, I'll post many pictures :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is... what happened to the console? Seems to be a lot less conveniently made this time around... cool to look at, but why? Other than designer aesthetics, did they ever have any sort of explanation?

Not that I want them to turn it back, or anything stupid like that...

It seems as each new Dr takes the role, the designers of the show alter the TARDIS console room to be different. The spacious environment of Paul McGann's TARDIS has shrunk slightly and certainly become much more alien.

I think they just decided this one looked really cool and it kind of fits with the whole, alien nature of the Dr.

I do kinda miss the nice white interior with the classic console but I think the new one pretty good too. I remember reading somewhere that the old Victorian console room was the primary console room and the classic was the secondary. I think, budget wise wed have seen larger console rooms in the past.

Knowing the nature of the TARDIS it's quite possible that the craft has some interior design system that the Timelords can use to alter the console room to fit.

The bicycle pump and little bell are classic in the new one, I love them.

But we are lacking the doors from the original, there now seems to be no buffer zone between TARDIS exterior and interior as there once was. I miss the lever that opened and closed those doors and the sound.

Aye the current interior door looking just like the reverse of the exterior has shades of Cushings interior, perhaps thats what RTD was after! Maybe theyll take us on a classic trip to the old console room just like Tom did with Sarah & Leela, that would be sweet to see, even if it is CGI to save on construction.

Hehe sorry I was thinking of us actually being taken to see the white classic console room as opposed to the Victorian version but tht would be cool either way.

*thinks* wonders when the Dr has time to re-design Tardis' interior lol

I dunno *G*

But one of my memories of Peter Davidson is him looking proud and pleased, duster in hand waving it over the newly refitted and redesigned console/time rotor from one of his episodes.

Something about that stuck in my head as clear as day, to this day. It's also interesting about the mental link running from the TARDIS to her fellow travellers, which has only been hinted at and not fully explained in: The End of the World.

Well its a very clever machine, the mental link thing is definitely something to think about, remember the Eye Of Harmony in McGanns movie, even before 'The Asian Child' :) looked into the Eye the TARDIS liked him for some reason, why it liked him I dunno, after all the kid was a bit of a bad lad, gang warfare and all that! But I suppose he must have had a good streak in him to look after the Doc after his friends got killed in the alley.

I wonder if theyll work on the Chameleon circuit again now that great CGI can be used instead of designing new props for every location. But I think the loyal fans who love the Blue Box would be up in arms....hehe I know I would. I liked some of the new ideas they had on materialisation in this weeks confidential. And when they mentioned that every episode it will appear ever so slightly different Ive been going through the episodes just to have a look see. The Empty Child it did look as if it appeared from top to bottom but I think thats been done before, not sure what to look for really, he mentioned things like blowing litter etc and I did notice in Rose there was a bit of fog as it vanished.

Has any story (not TV) ever addressed the issue of when the Dr and Susan left Gallifrey and he 'borrowed' the Type 40? Thatd be good to see/read/hear!

Well its a very clever machine' date=' the mental link thing is definitely something to think about, remember the Eye Of Harmony in McGanns movie, even before 'The Asian Child' :) looked into the Eye the TARDIS liked him for some reason, why it liked him I dunno, after all the kid was a bit of a bad lad, gang warfare and all that! But I suppose he must have had a good streak in him to look after the Doc after his friends got killed in the alley.[/quote']

I remember that very well. It could be as well that both the kid and the TARDIS being troublemakers, along with the Doctor and not really caring what authority figures think. It could have been that he may have had that good streak in him, or the TARDIS sensed he was important somehow.

I wonder if theyll work on the Chameleon circuit again now that great CGI can be used instead of designing new props for every location. But I think the loyal fans who love the Blue Box would be up in arms....hehe I know I would. I liked some of the new ideas they had on materialisation in this weeks confidential. And when they mentioned that every episode it will appear ever so slightly different Ive been going through the episodes just to have a look see. The Empty Child it did look as if it appeared from top to bottom but I think thats been done before, not sure what to look for really, he mentioned things like blowing litter etc and I did notice in Rose there was a bit of fog as it vanished.

I really should watch the confidentials but I haven't heh, probably because I like the mystery even as much as I like finding out for certain what's going on in the nuts and bolts of the show. There seems to be a time-wind as the TARDIS materialises and de-materialises, like in Ep 3 when they leave Dickens one last surprise and the snow billows about -- this for me echoes the Talons of Weng Chiang at the end when the two Londoners watch Baker's TARDIS vanish and comment on it.

I would rather like you, they kept the Blue Box and didn't mess with the Chameleon Circuit at all *G*

Has any story (not TV) ever addressed the issue of when the Dr and Susan left Gallifrey and he 'borrowed' the Type 40? Thatd be good to see/read/hear!

Good point. On this one I am not sure, since it's been a while since I have read a lot of the Dr. Who stuff. I don't think there's ever been a story of how he borrowed the Type 40 and RTD might not bring a lot of the old Who mythos into it, since he seems to be shooting for his own run on the stories even though we know Eccleston is the same Dr. that was Paul McGann and so on.

I am kind of hoping he does reference some classic Who though, but we shall have to see. :)

Hmmm... about Susan... would she not also be a time lord, complete with regenerations etc? What happened to her?

Also, the doctor DID fix the chameleon circuit at least once in the old series... and it promptly broke, and he never bothered to fix it again ^^

Also... maybe before Gallifrey was destroyed, the Doctor stole/took/was given the Eye of Harmony? SOMETHING must be powering the TARDIS, after all, unless he found himself a different power source...

*sigh* I have yet to see the McGann movie... will get it eventually, of course ^^

Edit: Whee! So much conjecture... but there's lots of interesting possibilities...

Now that would indeed be sweet to see the aux-console room in action again' date=' the whole wooden interior with the oak panels, those were classic.[/quote']

I always thought the McGann control room was very much an updating that the Auxiliary control room as opposed to ye olde porthole room of glaring white. ;)

Hey! I LIKED ye olde porthole room of glaring white... well, it did need some furniture ;p.

Waitamin... wasn't that console ditched from the TARDIS physically at one point? Ah, well... odds are, very little inside the TARDIS looks like it did. Maybe the Doctor gutted it and updated it with parts from a more advanced TARDIS model, or maybe simply jury rigged and jury rigged until it ended up where it is in the new series?

... or maybe it's an entirely different TARDIS, and the Doctor kept the external appearance for nostalgia's sake and style?

Edit: Unless or until they tell us something, it'll remain without explanation ^^

Now that would indeed be sweet to see the aux-console room in action again' date=' the whole wooden interior with the oak panels, those were classic.[/quote']

I always thought the McGann control room was very much an updating that the Auxiliary control room as opposed to ye olde porthole room of glaring white. ;)

st--4p02.jpg

I mean the wooden console room, possibly known as the secondary console room. This is the only pic I could find of the console itself though.

Edit: Paydirt!

Secondaryconsole.jpg

Hey! I LIKED ye olde porthole room of glaring white... well' date=' it did need some furniture ;p.[/quote']

Heh. That's why I liked the old wooden console room, you'll see it has some chairs etc.

Waitamin... wasn't that console ditched from the TARDIS physically at one point? Ah, well... odds are, very little inside the TARDIS looks like it did. Maybe the Doctor gutted it and updated it with parts from a more advanced TARDIS model, or maybe simply jury rigged and jury rigged until it ended up where it is in the new series?

I seem to remember a console room being ditched. But there is a design circuit inside the TARDIS that allows the Timelords to alter the craft to suit them. I loved the look of McGann's TARDIS interior and the new one really appeals to me as well.

... or maybe it's an entirely different TARDIS, and the Doctor kept the external appearance for nostalgia's sake and style?

I think it's the same old Type 40 we know and love, just with a new fresh coat of paint and a few new tricks thanks to the BBCs updated budget and skills.

Edit: Unless or until they tell us something, it'll remain without explanation ^^

And there in lies the fun!