Dr. Who Time War

petra1989

I would really like to hear everyones opinons about the Time war. Interesting to think that so many planets and races are gone now.

Who do you think caused the actual distruction?

The Doctor said he was there, and he couldn't do anything to stop it. That did not sound like a person who had to cause the destruction, more like he got there a moment too late.

What caused it?

My money is on the Eye of Harmony becoming unbalanced.

Or maybe that very little bomb, from Life the Universe and Everything. (The supernova bomb)

Who survived?

We know some Daleks did, because of the cast list of the upcoming episodes. The sisterhood was probally toast, since they are so close to Galifrey.

I could go on.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt thered be any connection to Douglas Adams' 'Life.....' although Adams has had a hand in Dr WHo in the past, crossing the 2 shows seems unlikely.

My moneys on the Doctor causing it but not in the malicious way, I feel hes had to do it to prevent something even more disastrous happening.

Romana is in E-Space so shes probably alive, Susan exists on Earth of the future so a good chance he could get to her. Im pretty sure a few others did and the Doctor just 'feels' like hes alone!

Course, if you read the books and listen to the audios, Romana's not in e-space anymore and Susan has left Earth in the Master's TARDIS.

But, I don't suppose Davies is going to keep any of those threads.

Have there been any direct references to any of the previous companions? I know there was a reference that the Doctor worked for UNIT, but what about specific people? Is it possible that anyone who traveled with the Doctor was wiped out by Time War fallout? It moght explain why he didn't just waltz up to UNIT and say "It's me, the Doctor!" They might not be happy to see him if a lot of them were wiped out in some portion of the Time War.

Maybe, I'm over analyzing. ;)

I got the impression from the episode "Dalek" that the Daleks and the Time Lords were the major players in the Time War, and that the Doctor did something to end the war (resulting in Gallifrey's destruction as well as the Daleks).

The Time Wars is one of the themes of the season. With the expected return of the Daleks in the final two episodes, I suspect that we will learn a LOT more about the war, and maybe some mysteries will be revealed.

If I had to guess what started it, I'd say that the Daleks and the Time Lords were arguing about which came first, the chicken or the egg, and things just went downhill from there...

There's another clue in the ep: Rose, where the Dr. is pleading with the Nestine Conciousness. He mentions something about not being able to save them...he couldn't...

Or perhaps he wouldn't?

I still think it would be interesting to find out as the Dalek accused, that the Dr. legged it, stole a TARDIS and ran away from his mistake - perhaps he'll go back and rectify it or some event will be triggered that re-orders things so we'll see our old favourite enemies return.

But RTD does seem to be shooting for a Dr. Who that is aimed towards new fans rather than keeping a lot of the old Who timelines/ideas/stories.

It was nice to hear him talking about UNIT though in AOL - I got a tiny tingle and smile from that. Also, read the UNIT website and you'll see there's some history there between the Dr. and someone else.

From Major Jenny Maguire 14:40 28/06/06

The government is being useless. You’d think they either didn’t want to even attempt to contain the situation, or just didn’t care. My eyes are narrowed in their direction. Anyway, Govt have asked for all top experts. Rounded up all the usual suspects and packed them off to No 10. Also squaring off a few peeps from active operations. Frost's Team are coming over from Geneva. I'd like to see anyone face her down. If we give them our best, it’ll show willing. Seen the footage of Big Ben on the news again.

From Staff Sergeant A Frederick 15:35 28/06/06

Oh good grief. You’ll never guess who’s turned up!

From Major Jenny Maguire 15: 42 28/06/06

Who? Oh... Tell me you’re kidding!

From Staff Sergeant A Frederick 15:44 28/06/06

No joke, Major. Considerable improvement on last time.

From Major Jenny Maguire 15:46 28/06/06

Still. He’s got some nerve. Hope he’s wearing asbestos pants.

From Staff Sergeant A Frederick 15:48 28/06/06

Number 10 have knocked up a pass for him already. There’s a whole team down in Swindon who’ve leapt into action like excited monkeys. Have a butchers:

From Major Jenny Maguire 15:56 28/06/06

Hmmn. Well. I’ll still slap him if I see him.

----

From Capt A Frederick

They’d like you at No10. Correction – force of habit. They’d like you at the acting office in Westminster. Apparently, the acting PM wants to brief you on what happened to Major Frost’s team, and the involvement of The Doctor. AFAIK, she’s terribly impressed to hear that you’ve met him.

From Major Jenny Maguire

Impressed?

She’s obviously only just met him. They all go through that starry-eyed phase.

Tell her I’ll head over there once I’ve finished seeing the coffins off at the air strip.

Taken from UNIT's secure login, password: bison

Maybe... at the end of the season, the Doctor stumbles back into the Time War? After all... it happened, so therefore the TARDIS can travel there, and it would explain the presence of Daleks. Still... the connotations of the Time War may mean that some things were literally removed from history...

Still, need more details on that ^_^. Still, the Time War would seem far worse if it meant that some things ceased to exist and even never existed in the first place...

The pervasiveness of the Bad Wolf references hint at something powerful and nebulous to the point of supernaturalness... somehow, I think 'Bad Wolf' won't turn out to be what I think it is, though ^^

The way I understood the Time War was that the major players, and those who were caught in the crossfire were wiped out completely, erased from the Timestream. So that even if the Doctor did go back and try to prevent it, he couldn't, because there's nothing left.

A Dalek fell through a hole in time however so I think RTD is wanting to keep his options open. I think Bad Wolf will surprise and hopefully delight us all.

if the combatants were erased and had never existed that both the Doctor and the Dalek would not have existed in this timestream not to mention the size of the time alteration that would have been.

It is more likely that they were just wiped out by each other. This being the case than ant renegade Time Lords (i.e. the Master, Rani, Monk) who would not help out in the war are probably still around to. The Rani in particular is specifically stated as having "nothing but contempt for all other Time Lords".

There are other time travellers at the moment, but there don't seem to be any more Time Lords. The Doctor of course may just be mentally blind to them.

It depends if you've seen the episode where he mentions he'd know if there were any of them left, or not.

I'm sure there will be an explanation, which will lead to tonnes more questions.

It also depends on how much of old Dr. Who RTD is willing to put into the new series.

Given the Time Lords were wiped out in the Time War, they probably think of the combatants as myths... if they know about them at all. After all, if there's no sign of them anymore throughout history, how could they treat 'em as anything but myths, if that.

When thinking about it, I think he's using an inclusive single-stream concept for time. Example... A man goes back in time to when the first primates were evolving, kills them all off, and dolphins evolve to sentience. With the Doctor Who view of time, that guy wouldn't suddenly vanish... instead, he'd remain, remembering his future, but no longer able to go there. He's a necessary part of the current future, so he continues to exist... but his future doesn't exist as anything but his own possessions, company, and memory. In essence, he HAS to be around in order to cause the current future even though the original future is gone.

Extend that to past and present, and it seems we've got the Doctor Who time model ^_^... of course, anything from that future also ceases to exist unless it was with him.

Hopefully, that makes some sense...

Edit: To -really- bend your mind, it may explain why his TARDIS still has power... maybe it's drawing energy from his past's Eye of Harmony, even though it doesn't truly exist anymore in the current context... Naah, too nutty and paradoxial ;)

1st go back to war games

the warlord was erased from existence- not the case with the Daleks or TimeLords however because in ep 2 the Dr was scanned and recognised as a TimeLord

now as for prior companions if you are checking the net both Sara Jane and Yates have left messages about the Dr so companions and some of the Drs past is the same

I think thta the Daleks some how broke through the TimeLords defences and conquered or destroyed Galifrey and that the Dr fled but only to counter with some super weapon like the Silver Nemesis to destroy the 10 million Dalek ships in a seconds time .perhaps if Galifrey were occupied then that included smoking his own planet but without choice

my belief is that some event is going to alter the result of the Time War and that both sides will be back in action as in the Daleks and The Time Lords

here is my new theory : the old friend in BoomTown is the White Guardian who offers the Dr a deal the return of Galifrey but with a cost of course the return of the Daleks as everything in the universe has to have balance

1st go back to war games

the warlord was erased from existence- not the case with the Daleks or TimeLords however because in ep 2 the Dr was scanned and recognised as a TimeLord

now as for prior companions if you are checking the net both Sara Jane and Yates have left messages about the Dr so companions and some of the Drs past is the same

I think thta the Daleks some how broke through the TimeLords defences and conquered or destroyed Galifrey and that the Dr fled but only to counter with some super weapon like the Silver Nemesis to destroy the 10 million Dalek ships in a seconds time .perhaps if Galifrey were occupied then that included smoking his own planet but without choice

my belief is that some event is going to alter the result of the Time War and that both sides will be back in action as in the Daleks and The Time Lords

here is my new theory : the old friend in BoomTown is the White Guardian who offers the Dr a deal the return of Galifrey but with a cost of course the return of the Daleks as everything in the universe has to have balance

That does sound quite interesting. I had been starting to think on the same lines, the whole re-ordering of the Universe with the cost being the balance of everything that was destroyed.

Including perhaps...even older enemies.

Including perhaps...even older enemies.

A theory that has been talked about in my house involves Omega.

They only thing tht could caused that sort of destruction is the Eye of Harmony (unless RTD has other plans). Wouldn't that have releashed Omega for good. (I can't remembered if he died or just returned to his state in that Peter Davidson episode)

In that same episdoe Omega tried to use the Doctor as a way to make himself whole, what if he succeeds this time.

The thing is... isn't the thing on Gallifrey called the 'Eye of Harmony', and aren't the smaller things on Tardises also called 'Eyes of Harmony'... and draw power from the core Gallifreyan one?

Edit: As for the above theory, the Doctor pretty much said the destruction was mutual and implied it was simultaneous...