Boomtown *Spoilers*

S0V13T

First off, I didn't see an official 'discuss the episode' thread on the board, so I took the liberty to create it this week. If I'm out of line, please delete / merge with the real thread. If it's kept in position, I'd like to ask everyone that wants to comment on the teaser for next episode "BAD WOLF" to post their comments in the appropriate thread.

Right, first of all this episode... oh man, best one of the new series yet, in my opinion.

The first 15 mins were great, I was going back and forth from the occasional chuckle, to laughing out loud. The whole telleportation bit, and The Doctor bringing her back were hysterical. Especially the sound effects they used. had me in stitches. The first 15 (Up untill the Bad Wiolf scene) mins really reminded me of Scooby Doo dor some reason. Although, some of the banter between Jack and the Doctor was questionable at times throughout the episode.

As soon as the Doctor and Rose picks up on Bad Wolf, the episode took a sharp turn. The whole Mickey and Rose side story really hit me in the heart, Mickey is obviouslly jealous becuase rose is having a great time with the doctor and jack, rose going on and on about her adventures with the doctor, mickeys attempy to make her jealous by mentioning he;s seeing someone else, and Mickey screaming "It's the DOCTOR! It's always THE DOCTOR! It's always gonna be THE DOCTOR and NEVeR ME!" as Rose leaves him. I'm sure I'm not alone by saying that I can identify with that general scenerio, I'm sure that many of you have had a similer experience when someone you love leave you to be with someone else (Minus the time traveling alien with 2 hearts, of course)

The Doctors Last Dinner with Miss Slytheen was a good mixture of humor, with her attempts to kill the Doctor during dinner, and sadness as she tries to play the guilt card on The Doctor. Her betrayl and sabotage was great, but jack should have paid more attention to the part she gave him to install on the TARDIS. That was just beong lazy.

Speaking of witch, was anyone else kinda disturbed that Jack was left alone in the TARDIS, and was messing around with the insides of it? The doctor has only known Jack for a few weeks, seems unlikely that the Doctor would have given Jack permission to mess about.

The doctor has only known Jack for a few weeks' date=' seems unlikely that the Doctor would have given Jack permission to mess about.[/quote']

I got the feeling they were trying to imply they've been travelling around for quite a while. Thus how they are all so comfortable with each other and all.

I did love the banter between The Doctor and Jack. Thankfully, it wasn't as over the top as the previous episode. It struck me as if the Doctor finally found someone that can think at his level.

The best part was when the Doctor finally voiced that connection with "Bad Wolf". and just like in "Aliens of London" you can tell he tried to make Rose forget about it, but you can tell he is thinking about it.

My biggest problem was the "refueling", something about it just did not sound like the old Tardis. That was until the "heart" was shone. I always had a hunch "the old girl" would do what ever she wanted to protect herself.

Refuelling is not a phenomenon unknown to the TARDIS. In "Thw Wheel in Space", as in "The Daleks" we hear that the Tardis needs a supply of mercury, and ISTR Tom Baker visiting another planet for a special mineral that the TARDIS also needed, though I cannot find it back easily on drwhoguide.com

How tastes differ. I really liked the scenes with Margaret Slitheen and the Doctor, both her attempts at killing him, and her playing on his emotions. I think it showed quite clearly what they also addressed in the Confidential: Death does accomapny him, but with one or two exceptions, the Doctor lets the Evildoers dig their own graves. Sending Margaret Slitheen home to be executed would be quite difficult for him, as well as for Rose and Jack.

It wasn't a 'woo, pretty' episode, but one in which I think there was a lot of deep psychological stuff that they wanted to be made clear.

Refuelling is not a phenomenon unknown to the TARDIS. In "Thw Wheel in Space", as in "The Daleks" we hear that the Tardis needs a supply of mercury, and ISTR Tom Baker visiting another planet for a special mineral that the TARDIS also needed, though I cannot find it back easily on drwhoguide.com

Also, in the Colin Baker episode "Vengeance on Varos", the Doctor needed badly to get his hands on some Zygon 7. The TARDIS had stalled, dead in space, but he was able to use the last "vestigual" (?) power in the TARDIS circuits to materialise on Varos, the only planet that mined zygon 7. Now, all the techno-babble the Doctor spouted out made it a bit unclear on the exact power source; I think he made reference to the TARDIS recieving power

I think the episode "The Three Doctors" had some pretty good (perhaps definitive) info on how TARDISs recieve their power... they get it from a remote source harnessed by Omega. I beleive this was a black hole, which became the Eye of Harmony, and all TARDISs are linked to this. Someone correct me if I am off on that, haven't watched that ep in years.

Perhaps, due to the Time War, the TARDIS no longer gets power from the remote source, so the Doctor needs to "refuel" from time to time? We know the the TARDIS can travel all the way back to Event One, which must be before any remote source was set up, so it goes to reason that the TARDIS can run on its own power when required.

I just now finished watching "MM's" encode....

Is this episode supposed to be a comedy, or a Sci-Fi show? Haha

The last 10-15 minutes or so, the pace picked up, and I was riveted to the screen for a while, and was actually in a somewhat anxious state waiting to see what happens next.

Yea, I saw several flaws as well, but do not have that sort of time nor energy to post anything about them here...

I might be dense, but I'm not sure what this image meant at the very end of the show....

It's written on the Millenium Centre in Cardiff. A line in Welsh, a line in English.

Creu Gwir fel Gwydr o Ffwrnais Awen

In these Stones Horizons Sing

The Welsh line translates as - Creating truth like glass from inspiration's furnace

I don't think it has any particular meaning to the series, just a interesting piece of scenery or a "let's show off Cardiff" moment.

The eye of harmony was supposed to be in the tardises (sp) as well. In the tV movie it looked as if a part of it was in the tardis.

This episode reminded me of the TV movie at the end, prehaps to tie the movie inot the series????

The eye of harmony was supposed to be in the tardises (sp) as well. In the tV movie it looked as if a part of it was in the tardis.

This episode reminded me of the TV movie at the end, prehaps to tie the movie inot the series????

Yes, it is in the TARDIS, but it is also elsewhere. One Eye of Harmony, but it is in all the TARDISs.... confusing? :) Has to do with relative dimensions and stuff. The way I understand it, the TARDIS interior does not really exist in normal time/space. The exterior is a portal into another dimension. (this is why you can't just put a bomb next to the TARDIS and blow it up. the three-dimensional attack is not significant, that TARDIS is much more than #-dimensional) So when the Doc materializes the TARDIS on earth, he is really just landing a doorway here.... the interior isn't really here. The same holds true for the link to the Eye Of Harmony... A portal joins the TARDIS to the Eye just as portal joins the tardis to wherever it "lands".

Something like that, anyhow.

It was a great episode for charecter development. The Doctor, Rose and Jack, all getting along, having a good old time in the TARDIS, then Mickey the black cloud (no pun intended) comes by and kinda rains on the parade. Mickey was laughing and having a good old time when jack was telling his story, but at the end it was obvious that he had a chip on his shoulder the size of Cardiff. The way the last 2 episodes appear to be going, I don;t know if we'll see Mickey ever again. And if we do, will he be as willing to hang out with Rose, knowing that he'll get constantelly hurt and jealous by her and the TARDIS crew? Or will he, as speculated by many, somehow try and get revenge on The Doctor somewhere down the road?

Yeah, this was a dialouge based episode, designed for us to get to know the charecters better. There was a little special effects for the people that only watch sci fi to see pretty ships and lights. We learn that Jack can relate to The Doctor as far as time travel, and adventuring goes, from his knowage of how to work with alien technologies, and his story at the cafe. Jack also seems to have miletery experience, from how he issued orders to everyone inside town hall. he seemed to default to the position of a commanding officer when a plan of attack was needed, and begrudgenlly mutterd out an "Awaiting orders... "sir" " when the Doctor pulled rank. Was the Time Agency a miletery group, did they take over once the Time Lords were exterminated? If so, where were they in "Fathers Day"? There's gonna be a lot of development for Captian Jack in future episodes.

Sov, I think we will see Mickey and Jackie sooner than we think to be honest. I think RTD is going to want to try and tie up something with them so he can go further afield for the next show now the fans and impact are high enough for the series to support travels to alien worlds and so on.

Series two will be great, the return of another enemy or group of enemies.