URGENT: DVD-RW advice

GLaDio

I have 100gb of hdd space (80+20) and they are almost full. Right now i have a LiteOn CD-RW. I had no problems with it at burning CDs. But its getting annoying to have to calculate the best way of burning a complete season of TV series onto CDs.

So i've decided to buy a DVD-RW. I'm a total stranger to DVD-RWs so i'm counting on your advice guys ;)

i was a complete rookie as well. I went to the computer store and they set me up with an LG supermulti burner and a copy of Nero Ultra software. It is so simple that even I can use it. The only other thing i can suggest is to get a copy of WinAVI Video converter to convert your file formats.\Good luck with it.

Well, I just recently got a Pioneer DVR-109. Got it from ZipZoomFly.com -- http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=171018

First thing I've learned is not all 16x media is the same....I got Optodisc brand from eBay...and it'll only burn at 4x. Waiting for my order of Taiyo Yuden brand to show up.

I kind of went with a Pioneer burner, because I've been pretty happy with my old one....a Pioneer DVR-106D.

But, now I'm looking for more disk space.

L

I've put in Sony's and NEC's into various computers that I've got. It's really not that bad to do provided you have a little space. I'm assuming that you are replacing the CD-RW. If that's the case, it should be real easy. Just open the case and remove the CDRW (keep all the hardware like screws, etc.) and place the DVDRW in exactly as the CDRW was. The big thing is to make sure the DVDRW is jumpered correctly (The installation manual or vendor documentation will show you)

I like the Sony's, the HP's, and really like the NEC-3520 that I'm using the most. No real problems with media failing.

Don't buy a Micro Advantage. I've got one and about 1 of 6 burns are coasters... I've used about four brands of DVD+/-R discs and all have about the same failure rate, so I assume it's the drive.

If you want insanely cheap DVD-R discs, check out NewEgg.com, and actually, I would suggest buying your drive there too, you'll get the best price and they usually have a few on sale.

Don't buy a Micro Advantage. I've got one and about 1 of 6 burns are coasters... I've used about four brands of DVD+/-R discs and all have about the same failure rate, so I assume it's the drive.

If you want insanely cheap DVD-R discs, check out NewEgg.com, and actually, I would suggest buying your drive there too, you'll get the best price and they usually have a few on sale.

Actually, NewEgg.com does NOT have really cheap generic DVD-/+Rs. They are about $13 + $5 shipping, which is less than mwave which is $10 + shipping (shipping is more for single items but is cheaper for multiple items). I've never burned a 'coaster' DVD, and I've always used generics. I've also had the generics from mwave work in my APEX DVD player (about 3.5 years old), the Xbox, and multiple DVD drives.

NewEgg.com can be cheaper than mwave.com for single items especially with free or cheap shipping. I purchase from both outlets. I've also purchases from ebuyer.com.

I've been using an Lite-On SOHW-812S 8X burner (firmware upgraded to 832S!) for about a year - no problems so far, with more than 500 discs burned.

For any new burner I alwyas recommend either the NEC or LG 16X (more info and tests can be found at cdrinfo.com or cdfreaks.com) - they have both proven their ability to write to any media put into them and not to produce a coaster.

As for the media, I found the DataSafe or DataWrite to be reliable and cheap. I use exclusively DVD+R(W), with book-type set to DVD-ROM and found them to be more compatible with standalones than DVD-Rs. TuffDisc are becoming increasingly popular, as they are extremely cheap and well made.

If Sony or Lite-ON DVD recorders are chosen, they prefer DVD+R(W) medias as some (mainly unbranded) DVD-R will burn, but with a lot of erros, and almost impossible to read on any other DVD-ROM or standalone.

The software: Nero. Most of other programs will do nicely, too, just stay away from Roxio.

NEC has won all the tests over here, with each new modell.

It might need updating with new drivers now and again (once so far) to understand all new discs that come on the market. Combined with Nero it is superb. Mine has about 99.9% track record. 0.1% was my fault. When i purchased mine, they were the cheapest and the best. They also burn both + and - discs.

Good Luck

I've never burned a 'coaster' DVD' date=' and I've always used generics. I've also had the generics from mwave work in my APEX DVD player (about 3.5 years old), the Xbox, and multiple DVD drives.[/quote']

This might very well be the result of your DVD-burner. If you have the LG BGA-4163B, wich is known for its very good burn-qualities and its high compatibility with most media. :)

I plan on buying that same one myself btw.

NEC has won all the tests over here, with each new modell.

It might need updating with new drivers now and again (once so far) to understand all new discs that come on the market. Combined with Nero it is superb. Mine has about 99.9% track record. 0.1% was my fault. When i purchased mine, they were the cheapest and the best. They also burn both + and - discs.

Good Luck

have to agree here, ive read that the NEC is the best, for about 50 quid here in the uk

NEC 3540 can be bought for less than UKP 40 (around £35 mainly, VAT included). Too bad that dual layer media is still extremely expensive, and 8X DL media is nowhere to be seen as yet.

My next upgrade will probably be Blue-Ray - I'm more than happy with my 8X Lite-On.

I got a 8 speed sony i bought the cheapest dvd-r's i could find and they all worked my son has a 16 speed and half of his was coasters (great discription ) so perhaps you need to burn at half the speed of the discs

now if someone will tell me how to make the darn things work on the car player :)

Personally I stick with LG and yes nero ultra is superb. I also have Alcohol 120% and Magic Iso which is a nifty little prog for converting IMG & BIN files to ISO and then doing the burning all in one. Neither Nero or Alcohol will do this.

The price you paid for your NEC is very reasonable here in the UK