rate BadWolf

coolcat13

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,many thanks to this site and all those that share, I am still blown away with the amount of really good quality downloads here.

I rate this as the best sci fi site.

Cheers :D

It's kinda like the Best Sci-Fi site that you can't tell anyone about.

I probably get some people disagreeing with this following statement but what the hell its just my opion' date=' Dr Who verus ST:Enterprise season 4..........[/quote']

Now steady on. Who '05 is good, but its endless pop culture-referencing that comes with trying to attract 'families' to sci-fi means it sometimes suffers... using the 'whatever's big at the time' approach (the cringeworthy use of 'Toxic' in The End Of The World for eg) may work in Austin Powers but not in revered sci-fi such as this. Eccleston clashes with it, it just sucks and smacks of RTD pandering to BBC bosses over 'oh, can you put something poppy in to attract the kids' requests.

Don't get me wrong, it's an entertaining and enjoyable show, but for me it's constantly let down by overwrought cheesy sequences that convey little emotional message.

As for comparing it to Enterprise, Season 4 is more engaging in terms of scriptwriting and character development and emotional involvement...just watch 'United' 'Divergence' or 'Demons'...dark and brilliant and just what the doctor orde...well, maybe not.

"They survived through ME!" :cyclops:

... heh, and it's kind of funny that they used the same design for the Dalek ships as was used in the first doctor's ep, "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" ^^

'

That ROCKED. And the Digital ships in Dalek Invasion's DVD release are dead-ringers. I thought that was a great idea.

I probably get some people disagreeing with this following statement but what the hell its just my opion' date=' Dr Who verus ST:Enterprise season 4..........[/quote']

Now steady on. Who '05 is good, but its endless pop culture-referencing that comes with trying to attract 'families' to sci-fi means it sometimes suffers... using the 'whatever's big at the time' approach (the cringeworthy use of 'Toxic' in The End Of The World for eg) may work in Austin Powers but not in revered sci-fi such as this. Eccleston clashes with it, it just sucks and smacks of RTD pandering to BBC bosses over 'oh, can you put something poppy in to attract the kids' requests.

Don't get me wrong, it's an entertaining and enjoyable show, but for me it's constantly let down by overwrought cheesy sequences that convey little emotional message.

As for comparing it to Enterprise, Season 4 is more engaging in terms of scriptwriting and character development and emotional involvement...just watch 'United' 'Divergence' or 'Demons'...dark and brilliant and just what the doctor orde...well, maybe not.

For my 2cents and so on - one: I would rather not see this thread turn into a Doctor Who Vs Star Trek or Anything else thread.

Two: I would rather see a more darker approach to Who anydays, this first series has been designed however to attract new fans and appeal to a different audience.

They did do some classics such as: The Unquiet Dead and Empty Child (The Doctor Dances).

The Unquiet Dead harkens for me, back to the old days of scary Dr. Who.

thought it was very good, just hope this bad wolf delivers. I didn't recognize the voice, could it be an earlier incarnation of the dr? I'd think I'd pick up on that, but I never got to watch much of the hartnell or troughton series, they weren't broadcast on my PBS. I don't think master. Likely davros.

liked the double-fake killing rose as a plot device, interesting.

daleks are totally using the transmitted people as dalek spare parts.

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK and time seems to be standing still as we await the conclusion.A friend of mine is setting up an all Dalek run up to the Bad Wolf conclusion . nothing like 16 hours of Dalek episodes to get you stoked up for the finale

I take it you mean a "different audience" to the hardcore scifi fanbase.

As Doctor Who has had a very similar mainstream audience in the past, not just now.

I certainly do, after talking a little to a few of the older Dr. Who fans who I have known for a number of years, either from personal experience or convention going they feel that the 2005 remake is very different from the old Who they're used to.

A lot of them are hardcore sci-fi fans and only a few of those are actually put off by the new Doctor Who show. As I have stated before however these are the kinds of fans who will take a technical manual or book on a series and pick it apart, correct everything with a red pen and then spend months in argument after argument about who is right to the nearest decimal point.

I just enjoy watching the show and really could care less if the science is science or true science fiction. So I kind of pitch myself as a middle of the road sci-fi fan.

The new Doctor Who appeals to me because there's just enough old Who there, but a brand new approach was what was needed and RTD delivered in spades.

Bad Wolf for me dethroned a lot of the earlier 2005 episodes and I have high hopes for the conclusion.

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK and time seems to be standing still as we await the conclusion.A friend of mine is setting up an all Dalek run up to the Bad Wolf conclusion . nothing like 16 hours of Dalek episodes to get you stoked up for the finale

Dalek OD!

I take it you mean a "different audience" to the hardcore scifi fanbase.

As Doctor Who has had a very similar mainstream audience in the past, not just now.

I certainly do, after talking a little to a few of the older Dr. Who fans who I have known for a number of years, either from personal experience or convention going they feel that the 2005 remake is very different from the old Who they're used to.

A lot of them are hardcore sci-fi fans and only a few of those are actually put off by the new Doctor Who show. As I have stated before however these are the kinds of fans who will take a technical manual or book on a series and pick it apart, correct everything with a red pen and then spend months in argument after argument about who is right to the nearest decimal point.

I just enjoy watching the show and really could care less if the science is science or true science fiction. So I kind of pitch myself as a middle of the road sci-fi fan.

The new Doctor Who appeals to me because there's just enough old Who there, but a brand new approach was what was needed and RTD delivered in spades.

Bad Wolf for me dethroned a lot of the earlier 2005 episodes and I have high hopes for the conclusion.

I totally agree about the nit picking about the technical side of a story, in general I am a Sci-fi fan, Im personally not so bothered about state of the art special effects as i do believe it can de-tract from the main story regardless of what series it ism but they have to look believable.

What has got me hook on this new dr who is the bbc moving it on from the old cheap cheesy looking sets, and some damn fine casting of the actors, not to mention russell davies scripts which i think have been really good, like fenris i did love the uniquet dead episode, and dalek....and the best thing i do like about it...its dr who and its got its own sci-fi style.

the one thing that can snag dr who sometimes is the fact that it is aimed at a family viewers, which sometimes can restrict them making a really dark episode (with fear that the beeb will edit it).

so overall i am delighted with this new series and the long break away from the TV screens did it a world of good...same can be said of BSG as well (maybe a good omen for star trek).

I thought Bad Wolf was ok when they weren't in the TV BS (Though Captain Jack's was hilarious). Just kind of a let down for me to see them go with an old default (the daleks did it) rather than someone else.

Still it looks like the end ing will be neat to watch, hopefully its the daleks turn to kill off the doctor and then they can move on.

I thought Bad Wolf was ok when they weren't in the TV BS (Though Captain Jack's was hilarious). Just kind of a let down for me to see them go with an old default (the daleks did it) rather than someone else.

Still it looks like the end ing will be neat to watch, hopefully its the daleks turn to kill off the doctor and then they can move on.

naww i think the doctor will take the daleks with him and kinda sacifice himself...im suspecting that bad wolf could be the doctor himself

Again I return to my idea of comedy in science fiction, the laugh comes right before the long deep yawning chasm of Dalek induced fear. I was laughing so hard at the BB episode, then little by little it dawned on me that people were being killed...then when I found out they were not, a horrible feeling wandered down my spine.

Transformed?

Daleks...

Oh dear...

When a single episode of a show can invoke that much in me, I know it's been some good writing and acting.