Flaming

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

Do you think flaming should be a public matter or private. I'm not talking about simple disagreements but rather those knock-down-drag-out fights of late. I prefer to send someone a PM or email. Wadda ya think?

EDIT: Geez...I sure hope this doesn't open another can of worms...haven't finished eating the last one!

EDIT: Moved to Mirror Universe sub-forum.

c4 ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as its good sometimes to see someone who has been gettin up your nose take a tellin off, its probably better done via pm (IMHO)(i just got one).

seein fights isnt why i post here so as much as it might be amusing once in a while, i dont wanna see it.

i missed the borisp event - and have mixed feelings about it. i have disagreed with him in the past but dont want to set a standard which advocates victimisation or cruelty.

i think its a shame when an individual misses the idea that we can present our ideas but not all of them because our more intimate thoughts are perhaps better shared with othgers who are willing to share similar thoughts and expreiences. while that may read like im telling people they should hold back, im not. just use a bit of common sence.

on a lighter but more irritating note, i spent the day dl'ing TNG3 on a uni computer (at high speed with a lovelly ratio) and the file just disappeared. mph! last time that happened was dissertation deadline day. that took some explaining i can tell you.

"no, the cat didnt eat it....."

Guest c4evap
as much as its good sometimes to see someone who has been gettin up your nose take a tellin off' date=' its probably better done via pm (IMHO)(i just got one). [/quote']

Hope it wasn't too bad...

seein fights isnt why i post here so as much as it might be amusing once in a while, i dont wanna see it.

i missed the borisp event - and have mixed feelings about it. i have disagreed with him in the past but dont want to set a standard which advocates victimisation or cruelty.

I missed it as well. The flame was deleted before I had a chance to see it. Prolly for the best.

i think its a shame when an individual misses the idea that we can present our ideas but not all of them because our more intimate thoughts are perhaps better shared with othgers who are willing to share similar thoughts and expreiences. while that may read like im telling people they should hold back' date=' im not. just use a bit of common sence.[/quote']

Unfortunately, common sense is a misnomer...if it was common, we'd all have it. ;)

EDIT: Just a note here...this thread is NOT directed at anyone inparticular...just thought it made an interesting topic.

c4 B)

[

Unfortunately, common sense is a misnomer...if it was common, we'd all have it. ;)

c4 B)

get no argument from me.

and , no not too bad.

but after the sexuality debate was postin here expecting to see alot of flaming and wasnt really enjoying as much.

so i hoist my can of carlsberg to the idea that if we ignore the people that piss us off for long enough that they will get the message.

and if not everyone watching will approve of a good hard slap :D

Guest c4evap
[

c4 B)

get no argument from me.

and , no not too bad.

but after the sexuality debate was postin here expecting to see alot of flaming and wasnt really enjoying as much.

so i hoist my can of carlsberg to the idea that if we ignore the people that piss us off for long enough that they will get the message.

and if not everyone watching will approve of a good hard slap :D

Here's a hearty hand-clap...

80s-clapping.jpg

Oops...how'd he get in here..?

c4 ;)

Guest c4evap
is flaming Micheal Jackson still considered flaming ?

I guess so since he was found innocent

I had started a Michael Jackson thread but deleted it because it was causing too much trouble...

c4 B)

Well, it depends on the subject and the intend I think and how 'bad' you make it. If someone has got some really good arguments, he should post them publicly. If it is just 'verbal abuse', well, you shouldn't do that at all, not public and not private. I currently really can see no reason for doing that, ever!

Guest c4evap
Well' date=' it depends on the subject and the intend I think and how 'bad' you make it. If someone has got some really good arguments, he should post them publicly. If it is just 'verbal abuse', well, you shouldn't do that at all, not public and not private. I currently really can see no reason for doing that, ever![/quote']

Agreed. The MJ thread was only asking the question "Do you think MJ is guilty or innocent". I stated that I thought he was. The next thing ya know...I'm in the middle of a "bar fight" (so to speak). Maybe it was cowardly of me, but I thought it better to delete the thread than to cause trouble on the board. In hindsight...I prolly shouda left it...

Oh, well...live and learn!

EDIT: A private PM or email (IMHO) is permissable and preferable to a flame.

c4 B)

Guest c4evap
I would say just don't personally attack someone' date=' I would let you openly attack discussion points however. [/quote']

Agreed. I have no wish to attack anyone personally. Attacking the discussion points is permissable.

EDIT: However, if I should feel the need...I will use a PM or send an email. Some things should be kept in private.

c4 :D

Moderator Message

Flames on the forums violate posting policies - see Posting Rules, particularly #4.

4. Please be kind and curtious in your responses

-- If we are to build a community, let us be helpful and kind to those asking for our assistance.

If you get so riled about an issue that you simply have to fire off a reply - consider sending it to me by PM. I'll quote it and send it back to you, perhaps with a few comments on the issue. Then you can choose to reply to the "miscreant" who riled you up - perhaps in a more conscious way - if appropriate, on the forums, if not in compliance with #4 (above), then by private communication.

Under no circumstances should anybody post a private message to the forums w/o the consent of the author. It's not yet a written rule - but it is an unacceptable practice. Private communication is to remain private - if somebody is harrassing you, privately bring the issue to a moderator's (or NiteShdw's) attention.

Well, it depends on the subject and the intend I think and how 'bad' you make it. If someone has got some really good arguments, he should post them publicly. If it is just 'verbal abuse', well, you shouldn't do that at all, not public and not private. I currently really can see no reason for doing that, ever!

I think that courtesy, respect, and civility should be our watchwords. I don't always follow them - but that's my aim. BTW, even in PMs, these three will probably accomplish more than flaming.

The MJ thread was only asking the question "Do you think MJ is guilty or innocent". I stated that I thought he was. The next thing ya know...I'm in the middle of a "bar fight" (so to speak). Maybe it was cowardly of me, but I thought it better to delete the thread than to cause trouble on the board. In hindsight...I prolly shouda left it...

One alternative is to lock a thread for 48 hours - please leave a note on the end of the thread if you do (and you can only do this if you started the topic). Gives everybody a chance to cool down. Then you can quietly unlock it (and post to it, so people see it's unlocked again, if you like).

I didn't tell anybody that I unlocked the Gay Trek Topic several days ago ...

Sometimes a cooling off period makes deleting a topic unnecessary. Other times, it just delays the inevitable. You never know up front.

I really appreciate you taking care of the MJ bar-fight, c4evap! Good instinct - now the challenge becomes how to enable a civil conversation about it - one where courtesy and respect can reign over ego and emotional hijackings.

Thanks!

Guest c4evap

I stated that I thought he was.

c4 B)

Innocent or guilty?? PM if you don't wanna cause another bar fight... :p

Guilty. I based that on the fact that he paid 20 million bucks to that first kid who accused him of molestation. I know he has (had?) a ton of money...but paying off somebody (IMHO) just says I'M GUILTY!

c4 [of course I could be wrong] ;)

Guest c4evap
I really appreciate you taking care of the MJ bar-fight, c4evap! Good instinct - now the challenge becomes how to enable a civil conversation about it - one where courtesy and respect can reign over ego and emotional hijackings.

Thanks!

No problemo! :D I think I'll let someone else re-start that particular thread however. Man, is it ever a touchy subject!

c4 ;)

I stated that I thought he was.

c4 B)

Innocent or guilty?? PM if you don't wanna cause another bar fight... :p

Guilty. I based that on the fact that he paid 20 million bucks to that first kid who accused him of molestation. I know he has (had?) a ton of money...but paying off somebody (IMHO) just says I'M GUILTY!

c4 [of course I could be wrong] ;)

Insider (very, very inside - I have only 2 degrees of separation from MJ) info says that the first kid was a genuine shakedown. Just because MJ was shaken down, doesn't make him innocent ... but the shakedown was real.