What in the world is the show "Lost" about?

TV Man

It's unofficail really but I heard in an interview with one of the cast that the hatch gets opened in the first episode of season 2. I'm so excited I can't wait! LOL

So excited you must have missed the end of season 1. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
The first season was great but there were few stereotypical characters such as the Korean couple and the torture expert ex-REPUBLICAN Guard and the funny fat boy . :rolleyes:

I actually like the characters. Things I like the most about the show are the flashbacks.

To be stranded on an island. It's one of the great "what-if" fantasies. And the hot females stranded with you are a definite perk! B)

OK, the sci-fi aspects of lost:

1 - why was the plane so dang far off-course. Sure they ran into a storm but (as Beawulf will probably back me up on this) most planes can actually ascend to an altitude above the cloudline and/or fly in cross-directions to wind. Planes are also equipped with tracking devices so ATC's can see where they are when they're crossing big stretches of ocean. If you want more info on how this works, PM me - I studied it all last semester at Uni and its been drilled into my brain like a dentist looking for a cavity.

2 - *SPOILER ALERT!* How can Locke suddenly walk? He was disabled, handicapped from the waste down. Yet here he is running around playing with explosives and killing wild boar. Hrm....

3 - How come there have been so many shipwrecks, plane crashes etc on this one dinky island in the middle of nowhere? Australia's answer to the Bermuda triangle? Methinks not...*ALSO SPOILER* There was the French chick's boat 16 years ago, there was the drug smugglers plane, Atlantic Flight blahblah, and the BlackRock which is a Spanish Galleon - and what was a Spanish Galleon doing that close to AU anyway?

4 - What is with that "security system"!? At first I thought the show must be Jurassic Park type thing. People stranded on an island, island in the middle of nowhere, dinosaurs still alive and kicking, see if the humans can beat the big lizards. Apparently its not. This thing is like black smoke and rips things out of the ground and turns people into mush, yet it seems to live in the ground and tried to pull Locke into a hole. Why didn't that scare the crap out of Locke? He didn't seem too bothered by it.

5 - We got a flash of a military installation at one point, complete with Hurley's Numbers. I can see a weird cracked-out military experiment gone wrong coming.

6 - *SORT OF SPOILER* Ok....Walt....the kid....sick and twisted man....everything he imagines is coming true - just before his mum died, he was reading a book on australian birds. Walt got pissed off and suddenly a rainbow lorikeet (AU native) slammed into the glass door and died. Walt was reading a comic about a white polar bear while on the island. The comic was in french. There were no french survivors or as far as we know passengers on that part of the plane. Walt then gets attacked by a white polar bear. Freaky.

7 - *MEGA SPOILERS* Why do the "Others" want children? The stole the French Chick's baby, the tried to get the pregnant lady, and then they stole walt. What is up with that? And why do they look like dodgy fishermen? That's the really weird bit ;)

Hope that answers the original question about whether or not Lost is Sci-Fi. Personally I think its borderline. Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Drama/Annoyingly-Vague

• 3 months later...

Its defenetly a mix...a good one!

What keeps your attantion one this series is that ther are hints that are small and hidden,so you have to watch closely.that isnt everyones tast.

like a good crime story and they dont give a damm if you miss the littel hints

they keep going...

And yes its sci-fi..because did you ever see black smok chasing peopel?

And this numbers?

Its kind of early X-files when you wher guessing are ther aliens or not?

Since you mentioned x-Files: It went down as soon as Carter himself lost track of his story around Season 4 and 5.

Reading all this about LOST (never seen a minute of it), it seems to be likely to happen with this show as well. The writers raise one mystery after another up to a point when they can't solve them anymore.

well this could happen..but till then its a good show...and xfiles also was..

..and perhaps they can solve it with out ruine it...also i must admit i didnt had the nerv to watch it at tv.i saw a coupel of episods and quit it but when i got the hole season in my hands it was different and much better...you have to see it in one move than its much better.

I think of LOST this way: the fact that none of us knows whether it is going to turn out to be a Sci-Fi story or not makes it some of the most compelling storytelling ever to hit the small screen. It requires memory and attention. I believe that some of the questions raised by the mysterious elements in the early episodes will eventually be addressed. They are taking time building our relationships to characters before introducing the next far-out element.

Without knowing more, I can at least say that LOST uses storytelling techniques that only Sci-Fi, fantasy, and Horror typically use. There is a strong sense of "other-world-ness" about the whole show, and that's why as a Sci-Fi fan I'm hooked.

I would never be able to watch it without Bittorrent. I love this technology!