"war of the worlds" and "The Tripods"

So I just saw "War of the worlds" and, I must say, that I was somewhat taken aback by the blatent rip-off of the classic british sci-fi show "The Tripods" based on a series of books by Jon Christopher. Not only did spielberg use the tripod design (mostly) but he even used the same sounds that the tripods made in the old tv show. Did anyone else make this connection, and if so did you notice any other similarities?

Dont get me wrong I enjoed this movie immensly and I am not trying to start a "bash this movie" thread. I am only looking to stimulate conversation and see if anyone else made the same connections that I did.

You know. . . I think that I will upload this old series so that others can see what I mean. Maybe tomorrow. . .

Ouch Steven! I will admit that I have not read the original H.G. Wells book, however, the fact that the book called them tripods does not take away from the fact that the british sci-fi show used them many yeats before this movie was even concieved of let alone before it came out. So here is a list of the similarities that I have noticed so far.

1. The sound effects that are used in the film to signal the imminent arrival of a machine are identical to those used in the original series. You can't tell me that that is a coinicidence.

2. The appearance of the aliens inside the machines is remarkably similar to the appearance of the aliens in the original series.

3. Several camera shots used in the film are strikingly similar to "Classic" shots used in the series.

...the blatent rip-off of the classic british sci-fi show "The Tripods" based on a series of books by Jon Christopher. ...

You know. . . I think that I will upload this old series so that others can see what I mean. Maybe tomorrow. . .

that would be cool. I've never heard of that series. Sounds interesting.

I saw WotWs the other day and only give it 6.5/10. Tom Cruise's acting was average but the special effects were awesome. Seemed like they were in a rush in some sections of the film as so many questions were left unanswered.

Going to see it later, will let you know what I think.

As far as I remember, The Tripods was heavily ripped from WOTW anyway. That said, Pleeeease upload it. I remember watching on TV when I was a kid but haven't seen it in years. Would love to watch it again.

SR

if memmory serves ( which it most often does not Lol) WoTW original used the whole tripod thing first because the Martians did everything in three's did they not three fingers on each hand, three eyes three leggs and so on, Mind you it's very late and I'm very sleepy and I may be getting my facts mixed up, ya never know..........................

By the way, this makes interesting reading: http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/tripage/ozymand.html

Especially the line:

The Martians do not seem to have the wheel, and have mechanisms of leverage instead. The machines thump the ground, they have a hunting wail, they are later described as "a hundred feet high", they walk on three legs with a turning head, they have swirling metal tentacles.

Christopher himself, slightly apologetically, says:

It was... only after I'd finished the first book of the trilogy, at that stage myself still unsure what the Tripods were, that I realised I had unconsciously stolen the concept from a better writer.

I finally got to see this and I have to admit for anyone that loves the original, the movie(s) and of course the 1953 movie you might want to check out the Tripods.

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/Tripods.html

I overheard a gamer's conversation that went along those lines, they were saying that the tripods/walkers/Martian war-machines in Spielberg's recent take on The War of the Worlds, were ripped off directly from the tripod walkers in Half Life 2.

I had to laugh, because actually - it's the other way around.

H.G. Wells came up with the original design for the Martian Death machines and people have been copying from him ever since.

I did enjoy this film, I though the first hour or so was great, but once they got stuck in the cellar I felt that it slightly lost its self. As much as I like Tim Robbins as a actor, I felt that his character had no place in the story.

Shame they didnt use some of the music from jeff waynes war of the worlds actually as thats what most of us relate to when you mention the name.

For all the CGI i still prefer the orginal War of the worlds.