Firefly - nothing special - (aka Serenity)

theaveng

After seeing Sci-Fi's rerun of Firefly's first episode, I downloaded

all 15 and watched them.

Eh.

I give Firefly an A+ for style, but the stories get a D. They are

rather un-interesting. After watching all 15 episodes, I shrugged my shoulders, asked myself, "Who cares about these people?", and clicked delete.

I don't see why everyone was drooling over Firefly. I don't think the stories are all that interesting. Maybe by season 2, the show would have improved as happened with Angel/Babylon5/Deep Space Nine, but what I saw in season 1 left me with a "don't care" feeling.

I doubt I'll go see the movie.

troy

I really enjoyed the characters and the whole feel of it, the only charachter i didn't like was jayne, but then that changed after jayne's town. Its really too bad it didn't even get to finish its first season to carry the story further, which i'm sure would have gone into some interestign things like the mystery of river, and who is the pastor? Although the movie is going to be going into at least one of those. Anyways its too bad you didn't enjoy it, just not for you though i guess.

To each their own I guess. My brother doesn't like it either.

But I'm a pretty big fan and think Firefly, compared to other 1st season scifi shows, is clearly superior and one of the best sci-fi shows in existence.

Cancelling the series after airing three of the best shows of the series: "Ariel", "War Stories", and "Objects in Space" was a crime against humanity in my opinion. I know a huge number of folks who saw those last few episodes and wanted more, but the show had already been axed.

And of course FOX screwed over the series by showing the pilot last (which introduced us to most of the crew) and advertising it extremely poorly ("naked girl in a box!")

Personally, I hope the film "Serenity" makes enough money that the executives come grovelling back to Whedon, hats in hand begging him to start the series up again.

As for the movies' date=' I hear there are three of them, so by the time Joss is finished, the story will be complete and no need for a tv show.[/quote']

It's only a three picture deal if the first one goes over well.

Firefly is an odd thing. I've never met anyone who thought is was just ok. Everyone I've talked to about it either loves it or hates it. I really like it. The only problem I had with it is that with such a large cast, it takes a long time to flesh out all the characters. I thought it was just getting really interesting when the show ended. Too bad FOX never really got behind the show. I think that with another season under it's belt, it could have really caught on and lasted many more seasons. I'm really looking forward to the film(s).

Well, I'm another vote in the positive. I kinda got into the attitude of the characters as they developed. The western way of at times saying a lot less than needed worked for me.

I'm looking forward to more.

Lukeyson

I watched the first 3 episodes of Firefly, and put it on the back burner for now. I am one of the ones whom the show did not "move" much, but, I plan on watching it again sometime in the future (I would never delete it, just because I wasn't thrilled about it. Heck, if need be, I can help seed it again sometime in the future).

Anyone recall the USA TV show _Barney Miller_ from the 1970's? Does the name "Det. Ron Harris" ring a bell? Does the name "Ron Glass" ring a bell? Anyhow, Ron Glass, from Barney Miller (Det. Ron Harris) was the Shepherd (or the preacher I guess) on Firefly. When I first saw him, I thought he was Venus Flytrap, from WKRP in Cincinnati, then I had to think about it somemore.... ;)

For what it's worth, I thought it was original, funny and had all round good characters unlike Trek which has a handful of decent characters and is the crowned king of plot re-hashing. Not that I dislike ST or anything, but Firfly was a breath of air after the rather stuffy vision of the future that Trek had moulded.

The later episodes of Firefly really shine.

After seeing Sci-Fi's rerun of Firefly's first episode, I downloaded

all 15 and watched them.

Eh.

I give Firefly an A+ for style, but the stories get a D. They are

rather un-interesting. After watching all 15 episodes, I shrugged my shoulders, asked myself, "Who cares about these people?", and clicked delete.

I don't see why everyone was drooling over Firefly. I don't think the stories are all that interesting. Maybe by season 2, the show would have improved as happened with Angel/Babylon5/Deep Space Nine, but what I saw in season 1 left me with a "don't care" feeling.

I doubt I'll go see the movie.

troy

BorisP agreed with you - he thought the characters were uninteresting.

Unfortunately, at this point, you've seen all the episodes in existence. The show was cancelled mid-way through its first season. No second season is planned - but the movie may change that.

I loved the characters - and the way they developed over the few episodes that were produced. I felt that Joss Whedon did a great job of revealing their humanity, each episode giving us a clearer view of who they were and who we can be. As for the F/X - that's not what does it for me in a series. It was kinda funny watching them develop.