What is you're favorite Sci-Fi movie

psheldrake1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conehead i thought was great (not to be confused with Coneheads) its about a young Conehead stranded on earth who has a diet consisting of mostly italian ice cream van drivers. very funny and silly.

Love all the films by the russian that did the original Solaris... Mirror is the best one.

Forbidden planet is great as well.

damn theres just too many to list.

all films mentioned here so far have been classics :)

I liked Silent Runnings! and loved the SG1 robot wars or whatever it was!

anyway i have the day off work and drinking wine and lots of it ***hiccups.....

I ****** Brazil and The Thing so my afternoon is full! Ive never seen Brazil so THANKS!

also a really good film that I bet alot of you havent seen is a movie called Timebomb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105597/

I have no idea why it got such a bad writeup on IMDB i thought the film was really good and helped set the mold for Le Femme Nikita check it out guys if you get the chance! So far i havent seen this particular film released to DVD yet.

SERENITY!!!!!!
Great Movie! i just bought the superbit DVD and it's incredible! Well bartered for it my brothers friend from England and i trade alot of stuff!!!

Can anyone tell me why Empire Strikes Back is so underrated I really thought this was the best Star Wars film. The Phantom Menace could have been really good if they featured Darth Maul ALOT more. You could just tell he was a bad man...I like that darker side of Sci Fi with evil charachters and what not. I cant stand feel good movies like ET... or any SCI FI family orientated movie is something i try to avoid.

Another movie i sorta liked was Starship Troopers 2 Hero of the Federation.

Old school, The Day the Earth Stood Still or Forbidden Planet.

Newer films, I'll go with Contact. The alien appearing as her father made perfect sense to me, and I liked the fact that it gave a feeling of how far we can go and whats waiting for us when we get there... very cool.

Fav fun sci-fi movie... I'm a member of Team Banzai!

Blade Runner followed closely by Solaris (the original)

Not only is Soderbergh's Solaris better in every respect, it is easily the most beautiful science fiction ever put to film. Easily. I was relunctant at first to brandish this opinion in public as it is relatively new, but after much time was spent on the can, and in the shower among other places dwelling on the matter, I finally realized that I couldn’t think of anything that even comes close to Solaris. This isn't an "IMHO" either, it's fact! OK-ok, Obviously science fiction is a genre for teenagers and tasteless adults, and movies like Alien, Matrix, Event Horizon, Buckaroo Banzai, Star Wars, the Star Treks--they're all great, but Solaris is Sci-Fi for grown ups and admittedly, Solaris serves to quench that appetite, not that of heroes, spandex, and lasers. I will concede to that atleast.

The two juggernauts that come up when discussing serious science fiction are 2001 and Blade Runnerâ€â€ÂI’ll take the liberty of a little preemption: 2001 was a great feat for it's time, but now? It’s dated, behind the awe of piano string and camera tricks lays a film of philosophical exposition, devoid of character and essentially...the cinematic equivalent of a soul. Obviously this is a result of having a movie that focuses most of its attention on symbolism and a chatty analytical AI over the forgettable man of few words that is David Bowman. It’s a movie about mankind with no humanity, and it’s simply a movie that can’t move you once it's visual grandeur has faded.

Blade Runner is terribly overrated. While 2001 was the masterpiece of it’s time, Blade Runner was always at best just an alright film. A bore, but with a great atmosphere, unfortunately the story can best be described as a bird flapping it's wings trying to gain the uplift of the current, only to fall flat onto the pavement. My opinion on Blade Runner is a bit more subjective then that of 2001, but I honestly can’t comprise anything great from this film. The only thing of note in the entire film is Batty's last words. That's it! I always wondered why it was such a popular quote. Turns out it's because it's the only thing worth watching the movie for!

SERENITY!!!!!!
Great Movie! i just bought the superbit DVD and it's incredible! Well bartered for it my brothers friend from England and i trade alot of stuff!!!

Can anyone tell me why Empire Strikes Back is so underrated I really thought this was the best Star Wars film.

I can. It's not. ESB is considered by popular opinion to be the greatest of the OT. Ask anyone.

Firstly, to satisfy the pedant in me, the title of the thread should be 'What is your....' not the contraction of you are (you're).

Onto the point, however, as to if this is Sci-Fi I'll let you decide, but 'Threads' is awesome.

Now if they could re-do StarGate' date=' with the cast from the series, then that would be amazing.[/quote']

Not to disparage the cast of the tv-series, but they had nothing on the cast from the original movie. Kurt Russel, James Spader, Viveca Lindfors, Leon Rippy, John Diehl...all great actors. Better than the ones in the tv-series.

Guest c4evap

My favorite scifi movie (because it always cracks me up) would have to be Galaxy Quest!

c4 :D